Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XPX64man

Good RAAS Upgrade Project for B.York

Hello Bryan,

The new ROPS (Runway Overrun Prevention System) that has been adopted by American Airlines would be a great feature to upgrade into your RAAS software.

I know RAAS warns of a "long landing" now, but I, for one, would be willing to pay for an upgrade that would include ROPS into RAAS.  Do you think this would be something that could be added to RAAS?

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/03/american-to-install-runway-overrun-safety-technology-on-planes/

Someone said that it should be called "OOPS!"  or "Overrun Options and Prevention System" :biggrin: 

Robert Yunque
Banner_MJC11_zpsc02297c8.png

From my understanding ROPS more than tells you the distance left, it will tell you as soon as your wheels touch, if your not going to be able to make it.  It must warn you to go around, since it actually calculates the weight and speed of the aircraft upon touching down, with the amount of runway left to prevent an over-run.

Robert Yunque

Hmm this can be kinda difficult. You need:

- aircraft weight (no problem)

- speed (no problem)

- position (no problem)

- weather (no problem)

- runway topography (no problem)

- runway condition (might be a problem as you also have to know, what kind of runway surface is present.. dont know though if that would make a different in fsx)

- aircraft configuration (might be a problem on the users end)

The biggest problem is, you have to know a lot more about the aircraft. For example if auto brake is used, whats the auto brake delay, if spoilers are used, whats the spoiler delay, how effective are they, how much reverse thrust can one apply, whats the CG, flaps settings, drag applied by all control surfaces and so on and so on. If you fly the default 747, this might be no problem at all but if you own a 737 from PMDG, it might be a big problem (as they use different vars for coding). I have an idea in my mind though and I will think about it. Maybe there is something we can do but we also have to see if its worth. Of course we could keep it simple and include a lot of "guessing" values into the software's code but that wont be realistic.

Tebin Ulrich

You could make it aircraft specific, like for the NGX or new 777, the way it is with voice command products, instead of making it cover all aircraft.  That way it would be more accurate.

I'm sure they will have to be releasing training manuals on it if the pilots will have to be trained to use it.

Robert Yunque

its more about technical manuals, not training manuals. We have to know the exact way, how the calls are made to trigger this. Also if we do it aircraft specific, where to get the data from? The pilot himself wont know those things (except he has a good source at the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft itself or other technical sources that would provide him with those info's). However, I said i have an idea in my mind but i am really not sure if this could work. Maybe we can let a part of the software "learn" all the required information by doing a couple of "alignment-flights". Basically, there are formula's for those calculations but the question is.. are they precise enough for this? We need to know how the real deal works. Give us a few days to think about it.

Tebin Ulrich

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

22%
    $5,605.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now