Sign in to follow this  
HugoStiglitz

Should I make the change from FSX to prepar3d?

Hey guys! Well.... i've just about had it with MFSX :/. When I built a new computer mostly for FSX I installed windows 8 on it (I know.... bad move), and sure enough i was getting all kinds of joystick problems, so yes i tried FSUIPC registered, disabling this and that blah blah blah.. And recently i took part in the cross the pond westbound just yesterday, and right when i got my oceanic clearence... BAM! Fatal error! So i was sick of it and uninstalled windows 8 and installed windows 7. I just got FSX up and running, Installed FSUIPC, REX and applied all the tweaks, and now when i try to run....  "Flight simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Pleae reinstall FS....". That was the final strike. I checked for fixes and there are none and even if there are i dont really want to go back to it, i want to try something new. So prepar3d, which has support, developers, communities ect. However I have some questions about it before i buy.

Most addon software now give the option for prepar3d which is great, however do PMDG aaircraft work fine? I know you can make them work but is it a hassle? I really enjoy playing on VATSIM so i was wondering if squawkbox works fine. Also, do you get random errors in game like in FSX? Are there a bunch of tweaks to add to the config file? Do you recomend i make the change? 

If you want my specs just for info there on my profile, and a list of addons i use(ed) in FSX: (in case you want to tell me something on compatibility).

PMDG aircraft, looking to get the 777

Catpain sim 777

aerosoft airports and scenery

REX (  I know they have prepar3d support) 

FSUIPC(Not sure if you use it in P3D?)

SweetFX 

P.S. Did any of you use the "FSX to prepar3d migration tool" on the simmarket?

Thanks a lot and hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi,

two answers: 1. FSUIPC supports Prepar3D and works just fine. 2. I have the migration tool and used it mostly to install old Aerosoft scenery (VFR Germany and the like). Just does what it should. Most (all?) more recent Aerosoft scenery comes with dual or two installers.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hey guys! Well.... i've just about had it with MFSX

You're not Robinson Crusoe but in FSX's defense, when it was released, 64 bit was in its infancy (I recall many 64 bit driver issues). I'm about to build a new computer and will be installing XPlane as they have released their 64 bit version. P3D is rumoured to be going 64 bit but not in the near future so XPlane, as far as I'm concerned, is the way to go. I can't comment on any of your other questions but I'm certain someone here will XPlane them (punny).

Jon

If you've installed Win 7 and then FSX you must have done something wrong to start generating errors.

Whats with all the tweaks you say you re-added. Get rid of them.

You did install FSX in a directory other than program files and disabled UAC?

Don't waste time chasing down FSX - just get P3D. It is under continual development where FSX is a dead product. P3D is much easier to config right out of the box than FSX. Nothing wrong with FSX, it's still a great flight sim but it is at a standstill.

P3D without question.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Nothing wrong with FSX, it's still a great flight sim but it is at a standstill.

That's the sad reality.

P3D without question.

I thought about that but XPlane 10 64 bit is the way I'll be going.

Jon

P3d, and DCS World for me... the rest is... music...

Why?

- With P3D you get, just like you somehow did with FSX - but not to the level of robustness / smoothness P3D provides - the most plausible simulation of a civil flight operations allover the World under the most varied environment/weather, traffic atc/AI, etc... available in the market. Add a few compatible add-ons, preferably fully p3d compatible (with native p3d installers) to suite your wants and you're there like no other sim (including FSX because of the many stability issues you may end up encountering) can offer!

- With DCS World, it's another story, not pertaining to this forum, but I'm at the DCS forums as well :-) - simply the best flight dynamics model / systems accuracy, etc, you could ever find on a PC-based sim!!!

Just completed a short LEVX / LPPT flight, using the Airbus X Extended from Aerosoft, fully p3d compatible, and AS2012 for RWW. Default scenery is great (a lot better than default FSX Gold), weather effects great, even default AI perfect for my requirements. All smooth and silk, realistic, a JOY I could not even come close to on the other sim I sold to buy P3D...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Another vote for X-Plane 10 here. I got fed up with FSX to and switched to X-Plane 10 and never looked back. Things are gradually picking up for it finally. Definitely give that a try if you haven't already.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Moved from FSX to P3D, now back to FSX.

P3D on its own is stable and some nice new features in menu etc.

But its not FSX that is really unstable, its the addons, and unfortunatly for that reason P3D was less stable than FSX for me, cause, a fair number of addons just dont like P3D, so it was harder to maintain.

I am back to FSX. Will keep an eye out for P3d v2.0

I use both, P3D and FSX and agree with all said above about the stability, easy installation and configuration and visually pleasing appearance of P3D.  However FSX/SP1/Acceleration  with DX10 is also very good looking, and I have the feeling that ity uses LESS Virtual Address Space than P3D (I'm on 32 bit Win 7), so less OOM's with FSX/DX10!!!!?

The reason for keeping FSX is that multiplayer is available for my online gliding club, and FSCopilot/FSInn behave better with a separate very thin FSX installation than trying to invoke the Migration tool's P3D/Legacy mode which just gave me numerous headaches which a separate FSX installatyion for online flying solved.

With XPlane and P3D developments the future is looking good, and who knows FSX in DX10 might have more to offer yet.  FSAssist has just left Beta testing and I can say that little programme does make a great contribution to FSX's smoothness, reducing the hesitations in a turn to the almost imperceptable.

Berst wishes,

Phil

@gliderdriver:  I have asked the author of CumulusX! to consider a P3D-compatible version. It would be great to have ;-)

Never had an OOM or CTD since I installed P3D Academic. I also used this from MS: MicrosoftFixit50496.msi

P.S.: Is that you on the Grunau?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Is prepare3D 64 bit like Xplane? Could anyone please confirm if these add-ons will work?

UT2

PMDG747

FS2Crew

As2012

proatcX

@GodAtum: P3D is 32 bit but was built to run on 64bit systems and be able to use up to 4GB RAM.

AS2012 SP2 works great and it's installer is P3D-ready :-)  I'm using it ;-)

As for the remaining items in your inquire, please see your PMs ;-)

Main Simulation Rig: