Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

BLOGS - Who Would Like an AVSIM Blog?

We are thinking about opening up our BLOG system to anyone that wants one. Currently, our only BLOGS are those by staff members, and they  are pathetically inactive; including me. I think having a BLOG at AVSIM would be of interest to some. Our concern of course would be having BLOG owners who are initially very enthusiastic but then fade away over the horizon. How does everyone feel about opening blogs and would there be any interest to post own and read them?

I am with Debbie Downer on this Tom, the amount of hours I spend on Avsim, never would have time for blogging.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It depends. Its kinda of a foreign idea and something I don't expect from here, so there is a bit of dissonance. But unfamiliarity doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea; Most especially if things like the Xplane blog and various and sundry other aviation related blogs scattered across the web found counterparts here.

I could see people checking in for the latest one by their favorite authors.

It would be up to Avsim itself to find a prominent way to display such blogs and notify when they are updated from time to time, as there are already quite a few obscure and infrequently visited areas of the site. I guess I'm saying people would have to be coaxed out of their personal favorite comfort forums to locate the new content.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For me, I'd like to see hot topics,  tweaks and/or more basic information.  I haven't checked out DX10, that'd be a good topic to have something on.  How about uninstalling nvidia driver, is the nvidia uninstaller good enough?  The recent topic about flying NATS had some useful links in it, enbbloom, http://www.freewarescenery.com/ John B (I think that's the name) 777 panel   Yes, you can search, but sometimes, it's nice to browse and the search doesn't allow you to do an order by or maybe you just cannot come up with the right words.  Maybe a wiki would be better?

Edited by Tom Allensworth
Edited to fix URL

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

What would this blog consist of?

A place where the blog owner could write on just about any topic they wanted(flight, aviation, simulation, related of course). For example, someone could do a blog on navigation, or on scenery design, aircraft repainting (hint Ron!), model design, etc. There are any number of subjects that a blog could center around, or not. An owner might just want to wax eloquent on any subject related to simulation that moved him / her at the time.

I think it sounds like a cool idea Tom.

Another way to share knowledge and findings.

Lee

P.S Ron take the hint!

Blog.. I wouldn't read. Would be just another place to get information.. This site in my opinion is doing a stellar job.  News and info readily available here in one place.

JMO

Rick..

Blog.. I wouldn't read. Would be just another place to get information.. This site in my opinion is doing a stellar job.  News and info readily available here in one place.

We already have Blogs here: http://forum.avsim.net/blogs/ and as can be seen, they can be about almost any aspect of our hobby.

We already have Blogs here: http://forum.avsim.net/blogs/ and as can be seen, they can be about almost any aspect of our hobby.

I remember you writing a blog here what seems like not very long ago, but for some reason that one seemed easier to locate. I think you gave a notice about it elsewhere in the forum or something, with a link. 

Without a direct pointer, I am afraid locating that blog page is like finding a needle in a haystack for me right now.  :blush:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It would be up to Avsim itself to find a prominent way to display such blogs and notify when they are updated from time to time, as there are already quite a few obscure and infrequently visited areas of the site. I guess I'm saying people would have to be coaxed out of their personal favorite comfort forums to locate the new content.

I was brainstorming some interesting blogs that could possibly draw a following.  One of them was a "freeware of the week" blog where each week a short snippet was posted of what freeware is hot, and must get, and why.  You're right though, HiFlyer, it can be a challenge sometimes to get folks to see some of the new areas.  Everyone has their own pattern they follow, and unless it's in your face, some may look past it.