Sign in to follow this  
L1011_pilot

Will FS9 run well in my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro?

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance on this topic. Recently, I have been pondering the idea of adding FS9 to my MacBook Pro's Bootcamp installation. However, I have been wondering whether or not FS9 will run at near maximum settings under my current system specifications which are:

• Core i5 540M (2-cores) running at 2.53GHz (TurboBoost @ 3.06GHz) 
  • NVIDIA GT 330M GPU with 256mb GDDR3 VRAM 
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM

Currently, I have a copy of FS9 laying in the attic but I need to break open a few boxes in order to find it. So I decided to ask the question here to at least get an idea of what to expect. Also, since I will installing FS9 on a laptop and I know that Disc 4 is needed to launch the simulator, I was wondering if there is also a mod that allows FS2004 to run without having Disk 4 in the tray.

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided on this matter!

yes it will and quite well. i am running fs9 with mine.

Yes it will and quite well. I am running fs9 with mine. Go to this link to get the no cd fix.http://www.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml

I see that you have a Core i7 system of the MacBook Pro 6,2 but with a higher capacity video card. Well the specs are similar so I expect to be fine then.

Can you share how your display settings are set? Also what is your Global Texture resolution and MIP setting?

Sorry for asking additional questions! I appreciate your help on this topic!

Again thanks...

Yes it will and quite well. I am running fs9 with mine. Go to this link to get the no cd fix.http://www.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml

No offence intended, but you may want to remove that link. Some people here get really irritated about the no CD thingy.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I see that you have a Core i7 system of the MacBook Pro 6,2 but with a higher capacity video card. Well the specs are similar so I expect to be fine then.

Can you share how your display settings are set? Also what is your Global Texture resolution and MIP setting?

Sorry for asking additional questions! I appreciate your help on this topic!

Again thanks...

You are welcome.

Here is what I have everything set at. Now mind you I have my traffic turned off or set to 0. the reason for this is because I fly on VATSIM most of the time, I f I do decide to fly off line I will set the traffic to 40% because this is where you take a huge impact on frame rates.

The only payware aircraft I fly is the Wilco 737 PIC, Wilco Airbus Evolution, Wilco EMB V2 175/195 jets. Wilco ERJ145 V2 and the PMDG B1900D.

I do not have any of the Ifly or other PMDG aircraft. (I use the POSKY Freeware).

I have payware sceneries from Fly Tampa, FS Dreamteam, Blue Print Simulations, and one's I have created Available on this very website. Mostly small regional airports for both FSX and FS9.

I use REX for environment textures and I use Active Sky Evolution for my weather engine.

Here is the scenery settings.

FS91_zps41b29873.jpg

Aircraft Settings.

FS92_zps22daa5a5.jpg

Weather Settings.

FS93_zps30ad66a4.jpg

Hardware settings.

FS94_zpsece09b22.jpg

Here is the NVIDIA Control panel setting for FS9.

FS95_zps4d93e810.jpg

FS96_zps8ebfdd07.jpg

Now mind you. I get over 100 fps in the sky with no problems. The heaviest impact is when I fly into New York's JFK or Newark and Chicago. I am using FS Dreamteam KJFK scenery in New York, FS Dreamteam scenery KORD in Chicago and Imagine simulations Newark Liberty airport in Newark N.J.  These are high quality sceneries and I believe that is what causes the slow down. But i can fly smoothly.I will get a steady 20 fps , but it is smooth. No stutters, no jumpiness, just smooth flow and that is what you want.

I hope that helps you. Let me know. I love the way the Mac Book Pro handles it very well. I was skeptical at first but after running FSX very well with this laptop I figured it must run FS9 well, and it does. In fact that's all I run is FS9, I have way too many sceneries and too much money I spent on Payware and hardware just to give up on FS9.

Also I can not edit to remove the link that the previous post had made, Sorry about that I do not want any one mad at me. But it is a game that is long not being produced any more and it was the biggest PITA to have to run it from a disc. 

I will not post links publicly I will only send them Direct private message.

Robert,

Thanks for this very detailed post! I appreciate your help... Marking the question as solved!

You are welcome.

Here is what I have everything set at. Now mind you I have my traffic turned off or set to 0. the reason for this is because I fly on VATSIM most of the time, I f I do decide to fly off line I will set the traffic to 40% because this is where you take a huge impact on frame rates.

The only payware aircraft I fly is the Wilco 737 PIC, Wilco Airbus Evolution, Wilco EMB V2 175/195 jets. Wilco ERJ145 V2 and the PMDG B1900D.

I do not have any of the Ifly or other PMDG aircraft. (I use the POSKY Freeware).

I have payware sceneries from Fly Tampa, FS Dreamteam, Blue Print Simulations, and one's I have created Available on this very website. Mostly small regional airports for both FSX and FS9.

I use REX for environment textures and I use Active Sky Evolution for my weather engine.

Here is the scenery settings.

FS91_zps41b29873.jpg

Aircraft Settings.

FS92_zps22daa5a5.jpg

Weather Settings.

FS93_zps30ad66a4.jpg

Hardware settings.

FS94_zpsece09b22.jpg

Here is the NVIDIA Control panel setting for FS9.

FS95_zps4d93e810.jpg

FS96_zps8ebfdd07.jpg

Now mind you. I get over 100 fps in the sky with no problems. The heaviest impact is when I fly into New York's JFK or Newark and Chicago. I am using FS Dreamteam KJFK scenery in New York, FS Dreamteam scenery KORD in Chicago and Imagine simulations Newark Liberty airport in Newark N.J.  These are high quality sceneries and I believe that is what causes the slow down. But i can fly smoothly.I will get a steady 20 fps , but it is smooth. No stutters, no jumpiness, just smooth flow and that is what you want.

I hope that helps you. Let me know. I love the way the Mac Book Pro handles it very well. I was skeptical at first but after running FSX very well with this laptop I figured it must run FS9 well, and it does. In fact that's all I run is FS9, I have way too many sceneries and too much money I spent on Payware and hardware just to give up on FS9.

Also I can not edit to remove the link that the previous post had made, Sorry about that I do not want any one mad at me. But it is a game that is long not being produced any more and it was the biggest PITA to have to run it from a disc. 

I will not post links publicly I will only send them Direct private message.

Robert,

I agree FS9 for some reason is much more efficient in a lot of hardware configurations and if you find the right add ons, you can make it look as good as FSX. I will put similar settings on my nvidia control panel to see what results I get (my bet better than FS2004). Check your PM inbox for one additional question...

Thanks again!