Sign in to follow this  
fautleyj

FMC Problem

Hi Folks. Does anybody know why my PMDG FMC does not recognise FAJS (Johanesberg). It just says 'Not in Database' Don't understand why a large airport like FAJS is not in there. Hiow do I get it in there please.

John

Does anybody know why my PMDG FMC does not recognise FAJS (Johanesberg).

JNB was recently renamed FAOR. Perhaps you can try that.

Another suggestion would be to ensure that the runway length in the PMDG options menu is set to be shorter than the longest runway at JNB. For example, 03L/21R is 14,495 feet long. In the PMDG Options menu window, make sure that the runway length is set to a length, such as 6,000 feet, shorter than 14,495 feet.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Hi Folks. Does anybody know why my PMDG FMC does not recognise FAJS (Johanesberg). It just says 'Not in Database' Don't understand why a large airport like FAJS is not in there. Hiow do I get it in there please.

John

I recently flew into Jo'burg(FAJS) from HKJK(Nairobi) and used EFB to create a flightplan, and was successful placing that FP within the 747-400FX FMC

Depends on the AIRAC cycle you are using. If you use an old one it's probably still going to call it FAJS, FAOR if it's a new up-to-date one.

navigraph.com would have the newest AIRAC cycle for purchase.

The old ICAO code FAJS stood for "Jan Smuts", a British Military leader and the 2nd Prime Minister of South Africa (2 terms, 1919-1924 and 1939-1948)

The new ICAO code FAOR is from the new name of the airport O.R Tambo, again a political leader.

- Personally I prefer FAJS, as it could could still work for "FA (FIR region) JS for JohanneSburg" - with FAJB perhaps being slightly better.

It'd be nice if they could just call it FAJB, Johannesburg International Airport... or if they made 2 airports in Johannesburg, then call it Ekurhuleni or Kempton Park.

I'd prefer if they stuck to their 1994 policy of not naming airports after politicians.

The old ICAO code FAJS stood for "Jan Smuts", a British Military leader and the 2nd Prime Minister of South Africa (2 terms, 1919-1924 and 1939-1948)

I think it should be pointed out that although Jan Smuts eventually became a Field Marshal in the British Army he was very much a South African, and fought against the British in the 2nd Boer War. He was also a supporter of racial segregation, though later opposed apartheid.  So the airport being named after him was a symbol of the old South Africa and potentially divisive at that time.  The airport became Johannesburg International Airport, but retained the FAJS code.  Renaming the airport in 2006 after a former ANC president is fair enough.  Changing the ICAO code was perhaps less necessary, but still only an inconvenience to simmers.

ki9cAAb.jpg