Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Engine Animations: Are you getting this?

Hi there, just put this as an unlisted video..

Are you guys getting the same?

Notice when full thrust is engaged it is almost like the blades freeze and judder a little.. May be my end to sort out something as a couple of people [mixed] get different animations

Also before hand is very juddery? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DZz7yWFCe5A

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=tsZuORE4tPE&NR=1

With kind regards,

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Just tested it out with the 800, all engine animations seem to be smooth to me, not a judder in sight. To be honest, I don't see why this would bother you/anyone!? I spend all of my time in the cockpit. I don't think I have ever seen the animation of the engine at takeoff until tonight.

If there's an issue or something the guys at PMDG feel needs sorting, then I'm sure they'll sort it out in the next SP.

have the same problem. reported already shortly after the first release of RAAS but people said i am crazy :P

Just tested it out with the 800, all engine animations seem to be smooth to me, not a judder in sight. To be honest, I don't see why this would bother you/anyone!? I spend all of my time in the cockpit. I don't think I have ever seen the animation of the engine at takeoff until tonight.

If there's an issue or something the guys at PMDG feel needs sorting, then I'm sure they'll sort it out in the next SP.

Yea tend to agree with you on this one,  be different if it was causing  frame hits or  ctds.  If this is the only problem other  than counting the missing  rivets   :P   than why  worry about  it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

you guys saying that it doesnt affect you, great, it doesnt affect you, but I raised this because it effects me, so I am unsure why you would respond so?~

Alex Ridge

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong in your videos. Isn't this simply a sort-of "stroboscope" effect that is absolutely normal and looks exactly like this in real life? You know, that effect resulting from the eye being unable to "process" more than a certain number of pictures per second?

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Isn't this simply a sort-of "stroboscope" effect that is absolutely normal and looks exactly like this in real life?

That's what it looks like to me.  I don't see anything wrong in the second video at all, even.  As for the first one, I would attribute it to frame rate timing and the stroboscopic effect.

I could be missing something, however.

Kyle Rodgers

I think the second video refers to the wing flex animation being weird..

All though the original post doesn't say what the problem in the shot is.

I do, however, agree with you that the engine animation is normal on the second video.

Well the first video is mine, the second is another video from youtube.

Is it something to do with locked fps at 30, with 1/2 refresh rate not keeping up with the FSX N1 rotation?

Alex Ridge

Is it something to do with locked fps at 30, with 1/2 refresh rate not keeping up with the FSX N1 rotation?

Perhaps you could formulate more clearly what you believe this "it" to be, in your opinion. I, like the others before me in this thread, see absolutely nothing amiss with the depiction of the engine in your videos.

A real-life CFM56 for comparison purposes:

(and yes, I realise that that's not a 737).

It seems like it affects some users and not others.

I don't have the problem Alex but I see what your talking about and how it could bother someone.

It is a stroboscopic effect that is dependent upon frame rates.    The effect will look different depending on how many FPS you are getting in the sim unless the aircraft author compensates for framerate differences through custom programming.   A friend of mine who works for an airline on the ramp would tell me that a real jet spooling up does not look anything like what you see through a camera (or animation) where you see such stroboscopic effects and he preferred a smooth blur on his simulated jet engines.   Some people though, will internalize what they think the engine should look like based upon whether or not they expect it to look like what they see on TV or in real life.  Most people actually expect to see the stroboscopic effect because their experiences with watching jet engines are usually through the eyes of a camera so I could see many people wanting the effect to look like that.  The issue is that the effect, when seen on TV is always constant because the framerate of the camera is constant, but in the sim that is not the case.

TK

i also think it is the stroboscopic effect and tkyler explained it very well. This happens when the sampling rate of the camera (or the frame rate in fsx) is close to the rotation rate of the object, and it appears to be moving slower or it can look like it is turning in the opposite direction. this gif image from wikipedia explains this effect very well. if the sampling rate matches the rotation rate of the object it can appear as it is not moving at all, like in this video, looks very funny: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C17MiVkYlrA

So i don't think it's an animation problem

It is a stroboscopic effect that is dependent upon frame rates.    The effect will look different depending on how many FPS you are getting in the sim unless the aircraft author compensates for framerate differences through custom programming.   A friend of mine who works for an airline on the ramp would tell me that a real jet spooling up does not look anything like what you see through a camera (or animation) where you see such stroboscopic effects and he preferred a smooth blur on his simulated jet engines.   Some people though, will internalize what they think the engine should look like based upon whether or not they expect it to look like what they see on TV or in real life.  Most people actually expect to see the stroboscopic effect because their experiences with watching jet engines are usually through the eyes of a camera so I could see many people wanting the effect to look like that.  The issue is that the effect, when seen on TV is always constant because the framerate of the camera is constant, but in the sim that is not the case.

TK

So is the soluution something that PMDG may be able to come up with. I know other developers that use the N2 rotation speed as the N1 to achieve smoother  [but slower] animations,

Alex Ridge

But N2 is typically higher than N1?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg