Sign in to follow this  
OMGBBQ32

Flight Toolkit Support and Questions

Please post here for support or questions on the Flight Toolkit.

You may also contact support at the email: flighttoolkit+support@gmail.com

You may also contact for general inquiries at the email: flighttoolkit@gmail.com

For all updates and news on the Flight Toolkit, you may find it in the Flight forums or on the toolkit website at: http://flighttoolkit.com/

Rick requested it, so I decided to start it up.

Reminder that the Flight Livery Hanger is for others to show off they're new liveries, or liveries they are currently working on.

Please do not post problems there as there is now a topic dedicated to support.

:help: Hey

Was just wonderin'... I am using gimp 2.8 and I am working on a project on the Everts C-46.  Is it me or is that just a big plane to change colors?

Do I have to worry about every rivet, painstaking as it is?  Or can I just change colors...paint over everything and not worry about it?

Seems like it is taking FOREVER to make changes.  Especially when I made a mistake using the paint can and it colored in too much.  I am too far into the project to stop now.

Are there layers within the layers in the _AR files?

Clues?

:p0502: Tryin' to fly, :p0502:

-fryer

Hello fryerlawrance,

I have some problems to formulate the answers in English but I will try.

Was just wonderin'... I am using gimp 2.8 and I am working on a project on the Everts C-46.  Is it me or is that just a big plane to change colors?

This is a big plane, more than 60 hours of work for the C46 Buffalo Airways

Do I have to worry about every rivet, painstaking as it is?  Or can I just change colors...paint over everything and not worry about it?

I use Photoshop for this work. I use the color change tool and I painted on rivets and line.
Rivets do not disappear if it clears but the rendering is much worse.
In suite, I change the brightness. It is important to keep the lines that crisscross the fuselage and the wings.

Are there layers within the layers in the _AR files?

Only RGB + Alpha

JML

When I was working on the F4U, I noticed that the lines and rivets are part of the model mesh so they're still there just not detailed when I put a camo skin over the original.

The photoshop magic wand (at various sensitivities) can be helpful in painting while retaining very small details, as can the polygonal lasso tool for blocking out areas to be painted.

I have no idea if there are equivalents in gimp.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I know of the fuzzy select and select by color tools in gimp. For the F4U I had a friend with Photoshop pull the text off base and paste it on new layer. As for the other tools similar to Photoshop I don't use them a lot.

Hey guys, please start another topic that has to do with actually painting aircraft. This thread is strictly for those that need help with the Toolkit and it's functions.

I 'm going to delete these painting questions in a couple of days. That will give you a chance start a new topic and copy the info over there.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I have installed the toolkit and read the repaint forums, but still have questions:

1.  When I try to load someone's paint job addon to my toolkit manager, I get a message that says I must own the Alaska Adventure pack.  I have the Hawaii pack.  Why are both required?  Are there repaint addons that do not require both?

2.  Where do these 2d images come from that you guys use in the repaint process?

...and after I get answers to these, I'm sure other questions will follow...it's like learning a new language...

There may be something in the AK pack that allows the add-on manager to work, but it may be that the Dev. did this to at least have MS get something out of it. However, I recommend that you have both packs so you can install repaints for the basic cub and RV6. Nevertheless, the AK pack must be installed to use any of the repaints.

The 2d images are the texture files that the add-on builder extracts so you can create a new livery. You can use Gimp, Paint-shop Pro, or Photoshop because these will edit the .dds and .psd texture files that the add-on builder extracts.

You really should just get the Alaska pack anyway. It's very good...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Thanks Ace...

...but WHERE do the 2d images come from?   In what folder/directory/file will I find those 2d images of the plane broken into its component parts?  The addon builder/repainter must get them from somewhere...

It extracts it from this archive in this case for 1 of the F4U liveries I have: C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC\#\#\DLC #\Content\content.pak

All the add-ons are in your DLC folder.

OK, so now I have the Alaska Pack...

I want to be able to see the repainted planes instead of a blue wedge.  I've downloaded the C-46 addons created by F50ACE.

I loaded his addon into the Addon Manager, and now it appears there with an empty box next to it....BUT when I try to check the empty box to activate the addon, I get an error message.

Given the below error message, can anyone tell me how to get the addon manager to recognize and activate the addon?

Sorry, that appears to be a bug in the tool.  Just rename that file to some other name and it should work.