Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChrisTrott

Fokker 100

Guest mandudeguy

im just wondering if anyone can give me an insight on why it seems that American is trying to get rid of the Fokker 100s so fast....and also US Airways. Thanks in advancedmike

Guest cw1011

They are relatively old, not very automated and not as fuel efficient as newer airplanes. They are more expensive to operate than newer planes.They may also have too much capacity.

Guest Matthew Murray

I would say because of rising costs fof crews and maintainence. The airlines want to streamline their fleets, I think if they operated F70's too it would be better. I would have the F100's over MD80 anyday...

-----------------------[bR]Matthew Murray[bR]Jet-Precision[bR]

http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

fokker is out of business and there are not enough parts out there to maintain the fleet.why maintain an "old" fokker 100 when you can run a newer RJ (ERJ or CRJ) at a much cheaper rate.

All of the above makes perfect business sense (unfortunately for us Fokker lovers). Is AA going to fill the gap in their capacity, though? Simple reduction I can see, but now they have a gap from the 70-seat CRJ to the 135ish-seat MD-80. There doesn't seem to be much flexibility now at the low end of their schedules. Any thoughts?

Guest mandudeguy

oh yes, i agree, i would rather have the Fokkers also.

there is a gap......the 90 seat CRJ.the development of the embraer 190 will fill this gap also.fyi...the mad dog is a crappy airplane too that they are trying to phase out.

Well. depends on how you define "gap"....At the present time there is a tad too many seats flying unfilled so does it make sense to fill a "gap" that is non-existant? If there was a "need" I am sure the brains at DFW would find a way to fill it.There is also some labor issue regarding the substitution of aircraft on a route from a regional carrier that was once served by a major (both flying the same "colors").American is looking hard at some major moves in the near future-downsizing the St Louis operation for one.The F-100 was not a well-loved plane by the average passenger from what I have read in the trades,Tim757

Guest ChrisTrott

Also, remember that AMR still owns a bunch of 717s that were delivered to TWA. They weren't able to sell them, so they're still in storage. Maybe they'll rethink that idea to sell them all and re-instate their order and replace the F-100 with the 717. Then there will never be a gap that way.

I wondered what happened to the MD-90 that was supposed to be the kick daddy of the MD series. I wondered why it never became that popular?Robb

From a pax standpoint I have never liked flying on the F-100 because of the cabin confort system, or lack of. It may be just a Mexicana thing, but the darn cabin only gets confortable right after landing. It gets worse on flights that stop in a hot humid area with no gate.Mark

The reason the MD-90 never was very popular because after Boeing tookover McDonnell Douglas they took it out of production right away. Too Bad ;(