Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Almost there...Set & Forget Settings for Eyefinity (& moderately older systems) - Docs Soon

Skywolf, I will read through it and try to follow your indications ASAP. Thank you very much!

P.S.: Just posted a link at the P3D forums!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Sky,

I neglected to thank you for all your hard work in scoping out possibilities a virtual address space.

Thanks for all your hard work and keep it up - I look forward to helping the community as much as you have.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Thanks for those kind words @@jcomm and @@hesynergy, and yes @@jcomm I just saw the forum post at prepar3d official forums - very awesome.

Did you all get a roomier VAS when texture_max_load or Global Texture resolution is set to 2048 (that is the main one), and few other optimization tips as stated in the document.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Yes!  I actually have mine at 1024 because I am not using any sophisticated scenery, so it suits me perfectly.

Again, thanks a lot for the in depth study and for the results! Process Explorer, which I used to use back in Win XP times, was also a great reminder!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hi Skywolf,

thanks for your tutorial. Using process explorer, I could well reproduce your findings. The settings really help with OOMs in places where I did crash unavoidably before - most important with very little compromise on visual quality. Like jcomm, I set texture size to 1024 now, which also helps with overall performance (while the difference in memory usage is indeed marginal).

Good work and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Well,

here are my findings...

1) Installed Process Explorer

2) I just tested with A2A p51d Civil and Areosoft's Airbus X Extended, at LPPT, KJFK and EDDN, using As2012 and having the Estonian Migration Tool enabled. Tests were run at night / dusk and day, with cloudy skies according to RWW. Traffic at 100% airliners and 55% GA

3) Now... in my case, only one monitor, resolution 1366x768, Geeforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5, there is practically no diference in the VAS footprint when I choose 1024, 2048 or 4096 for textures, with a top usage of only 1,9GB at New York Intl KJFK. Tested in both windowed and full screen modes.

Note: I am using Nvidia Inspector for the AA and have AA not set in the simulator, but filtering is set to Anisotropic in the sim Display Settings menu.

Main Simulation Rig:

Hi jcomm, this is interesting and probably needs more research.

I tested several times in ORBX England/London City to Heathrow (nothing else) and around Vancouver with pretty much all installed (Vancouver3+, ORBX PNW, FSDT CYVR), but only the C172 imported from FSX. I have an Nvidia 560 Ti, 2 GB, one monitor only. One important fact: I use Just Flight's Traffic 360. All or almost all OOMs I get can be traced back to this one, even with low settings like 10 % airliners (which with Traffic 360 already give you a quite well filled airport).  MyTraffic for Prepar3d is even worse in this respect, I tried it. - This is of course under difficult scenery conditions, in most areas/airports I don't get any OOMs at all with any one of both traffic addons installed and even 4096 textures enabled. 

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

@pmb: Thx for the info regarding those AI injectors. I do notice  a drop in FPS even with default AI only when at crowded airports like KJFK, but the VAS footprint doesn't get that different.

Main Simulation Rig:

@@pmb and @@jcomm thanks for the input.  Some interesting results I see here, whereas you @@pmb could reproduce my findings and for @@jcomm - max VAS usage was 1.9G

Could you tell me what OS are you all using? and are you all using BufferPools?  Bufferpools option did not give me any performance gains besides taking up some VAS space (I have XFX AMD 6970 2GB video card)

I did check BlackViper Win OS 7 / 8 optimization guide, and I saw that almost all the uneccessary services for Windows 7 are already disabled in Windows 8.

I am using MyTraffic 3D 5.4B with settings set to 25 (Airline/GA - it does fill up the airport with planes),  I have tried with settings at 50, it works with slight increase in VAS, but it may be putting way more stress on cpu with settings at 50.  MyTraffic 5.4B is set to wide screen low quality models.  I still do not know which is the best AI traffic addon for P3D. 

I will update the document further this weekend (with more concise directions), and I do wonder if in this case ATI cards and Nvidia cards are acting different.

I appreciate your input - thank you

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hi,

I am under Win7. My present Bufferpools settings are

[bufferPools]
Bufferpools=1
PoolSize=10485760
RejectThreshold=131072

I noticed Bufferpools=0 giving me a noticeable performance gain, however, indeed tends to fill the memory giving OOMs under high stress. I found the setting above (not sure where I found it) an acceptable trade-off beween performance and memory usage, however this might be system specific.

Kind regards, Michael

I'm on Win7 64 Home Premium, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Geeforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5, using Nvidia Inspector 1.6.9 for the AA.

I have Bufferpools=0 and never experienced an OOM or CTD since I started using P3D.

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks for covering the topic of P3D.  I'll be coming here more often because I'm not finding as much good info as FSX has.  I know the PDF you made is a few months old, but a couple of things concerned me with your choice of tweaks.  For one, you mentioned that you play in windowed mode, yet you only have the ForceFullScreenVSync=1  command,  and I was under the impression that for windowed mode, you would use  ForceWindowedVSync=1.  The other thing that piqued my curiosity is the  HIMEMFIX command you have.  Now I'm familiar with using it in FSX, but is it needed in P3D?  And do you know if there's any detrimental effects in case it's not needed?  Detrimental like excessive RAM usage?  Also I did not see an Affinity mask command, and that is one of the best tweaks IMO.   I have similiar class hardware as you, but maybe a little newer.  I5 3570K @4.5// 8GB DDR3@ 1600/ GTX 670 2GB and a lot of ORBX pay and freeware, and a slew of different Carenado, Alebeo, PMDG, a couple of A2A planes, and a few Aerosoft's planes, and some others  Plus I'm using ORBX, REX, and quite a few different airports and stuff.  similar to you for the most part, but I'm not completely satisfied with how it's running, and I"m hoping to pick up a few tricks hanging out around here.  In the meantime, I'll give your tweaks a test drive and see how they do.

Thanks for covering the topic of P3D.  I'll be coming here more often because I'm not finding as much good info as FSX has.  I know the PDF you made is a few months old, but a couple of things concerned me with your choice of tweaks.  For one, you mentioned that you play in windowed mode, yet you only have the ForceFullScreenVSync=1  command,  and I was under the impression that for windowed mode, you would use  ForceWindowedVSync=1.  The other thing that piqued my curiosity is the  HIMEMFIX command you have.  Now I'm familiar with using it in FSX, but is it needed in P3D?  And do you know if there's any detrimental effects in case it's not needed?  Detrimental like excessive RAM usage?  Also I did not see an Affinity mask command, and that is one of the best tweaks IMO.   I have similiar class hardware as you, but maybe a little newer.  I5 3570K @4.5// 8GB DDR3@ 1600/ GTX 670 2GB and a lot of ORBX pay and freeware, and a slew of different Carenado, Alebeo, PMDG, a couple of A2A planes, and a few Aerosoft's planes, and some others  Plus I'm using ORBX, REX, and quite a few different airports and stuff.  similar to you for the most part, but I'm not completely satisfied with how it's running, and I"m hoping to pick up a few tricks hanging out around here.  In the meantime, I'll give your tweaks a test drive and see how they do.

Hey, yes the document is few months old, and I have even optimized it much better.  There are few things which are not needed at all.  I will updating the document in new few upcoming days, because I might have just solved another Major issue which had been plaguing with me Prepar3D and Win 8.  Just doing a tons of tests on my end.

I do recommend for the moment use LOD at 4.5 with Orbx Sceneries (for full fat FTX regions) (FSX default MAX), it will save tons of free Virtual Address Space, and textures are sharp anyway in P3D.  If you are only using FTX Global then 5.5 should be fine.

Stay tuned for further updates

Hey, yes the document is few months old, and I have even optimized it much better. There are few things which are not needed at all. I will updating the document in new few upcoming days, because I might have just solved another Major issue which had been plaguing with me Prepar3D and Win 8. Just doing a tons of tests on my end.

I do recommend for the moment use LOD at 4.5 with Orbx Sceneries (for full fat FTX regions) (FSX default MAX), it will save tons of free Virtual Address Space, and textures are sharp anyway in P3D. If you are only using FTX Global then 5.5 should be fine.

Stay tuned for further updates

Thanks for that information, and I was somewhat hesitant to lower the LOD, but maybe that will produce a good increase in FPS.  The only time I got an OOM was running the DRZ New York addon.  That was a bummer too because I saw these excellent clips on Youtube showing off the detail of NYC and it was running smooth as silk.  When I tried it, it was HORRIBLE and then crash.  I found out later that it might have been filmed at 15 frames per sec and then just played back at 2X.  Something was definitely different from my machine to what the clip showed.  Yeah man, whenever you get a chance, I'd love to see what you've come up with as far as the config goes, and I'd like to know what you have changed so