I've tried running with NVidia Driver versions between 314.07 and 314.22, and on each version, I get an immediate crash to desktop when launching FSX. It crashes before the FSX menu screen can open.

It is also accompanied with a crash to the Windows dwm.exe module.

Each time I tried a different version of the 314.xx NVidia drivers, I chose the option for full clean reinstall.

Currently I am backed off to 301.42.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?  Thanks, in advance.

Hardware: Dell XPS L702X-

Processor: Intel i7-2820QM CPU - 2.3 GHz

Memory: 8GB RAM

Video Card:

GT555M with NVidia 3D Vision

Have you checked with DELL to see if this driver is suitable for your machine.

NVidia states:

As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this (314.22) is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

Worth checking?

pH

Mike

Here's a thought install one of the drivers that works - preferably the original from Dell - and then just carry out an update install to 314.22  and see if that helps.  nVidia install procedures are pretty good nowadays and I've used the update procedure for quite a long time.  Remember to only install the options you want (I never install PhysX for FSX or 3D or the audio update).

Regards

pH

Well, there might be something in this, as since moving to the latest I've had four hangs - just a black screen with normal sound, similar to the UIAutomationCore.dll. The indicted dll, however - was d3d11.dll, - which I had never seen before, and since sliding back to 314.07 she's been fine. I might re-install it to see if it re-appears, but would also be interested to hear of other cases involving this last version. 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ok - so far rolled back to 310.61 and still getting error. FSX is a victim, I am getting the error in DWM.EXE.

Diagnostics point to:

Problem signature:

P1: fsx.exe

P2: 10.0.61472.0

P3: 475e17d3

P4: nvwgf2um.dll

P5: 9.18.13.1061

P6: 50a8c203

P7: c0000005

P8: 000f59ad

P9:

P10:

There is some activity from other gamers on the web about issues starting with the 310. and higher series drivers.

Still Digging.

Next Stop: Will try 309.xx series drivers - once I find some ;)

Regards,

Michael DelFranco

Flight Sim enthusiast since 1985.

I had trouble with the first update after 306.97, so I rewound to that,  and there I will stay.  Especially after reading of other users issues since then.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

And the winner is......  NVidia 306.97.  Highest WHQL driver I was able to install on my DELL XPS L702X laptop and maintain stability.

There were two quirks at this 306.97 version though - which I easily circumvented:

1) Resolution and Refresh Rates were all empty -   I was initially unable to view or set the screen refresh rates for my three attached displays from NVidia Control Panel "-> Display -> Change Resolution" because the values were all empty in the resolution box. The drop down boxes for refresh rate and color depth were also empty.  I then went to  "-> Display -> Set up multiple displays" and unchecked one monitor at a time. For some reason, NVidia control panel (regardless of driver version) only shows 2 of my 3 active displays.

When I went back to the "Change Resolution" page - the values were all populated again. I noticed even after re-booting, these fields all show up empty again when revisiting the "Change Resolution" page to view the values.

2) 3D Vision was not initially activating correctly with FSX -  I had to disable both external monitors to get the NVidia 3D Vision to function properly for FSX.

Once I re-executed the "Set up stereoscopic 3D" process with my external monitors disabled, all worked as designed even after reboots.

Regards,

Mike DelFranco.

I found this because I suddently beginning to have CTD when i change views ( outside, VC , Alt + Enter, etc) 

I have 314.22, maybe its the nVidia inspector or fsx.cfg tweaks or all thats the problem.

Jens

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

I am running the very latest drivers on my GTX680, no problems whatsoever. I have all the relevant tweaks. Also, comparing problems encountered on a laptop nvidia gpu with problems with a desktop GTX gpu is a bit meaningless, the gpu's are very different.

23.png

I've been running 314.22 on my laptop now for over 10 days with numerous flights...no issues to report.  Glad you found a working version Mike.

Chris Sunseri

Ya I have to change my angle in this. :unsure:   I have 64 bit computer and installed SweetFX and that's not good :vava: 

So install the new drivers again. :crazy: 

I have MSI ngx680 4 GB :p0813: 

All the best

Jens

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

based on my exp 314.07 is stable. i think there's a driver conflict in your system make sure you completely uninstalled the previous driver before installing a new one.