Sign in to follow this  

Can't save state with APU on and Yaw damper on

I've been trying to save a certain state that I get into while using FS2Crew (button control). However, two things aren't saved, no matter what, and that's the APU, which should be on, and the Yaw damper, which also should be on. When I load the Short state, that comes with the 737NGX, the APU and are both on so apparently it IS possible to save a state with the APU on. Anyone knows why I can't save my own FS2Crew state with the APU and Yaw damper on?

The state I am trying to save is the one which you get when you run the entire FS2Crew preflight sequence and I save the state after the co pilot has said 'I am ready for the checklist' which is the Preflight checklist. Maybe I should simply use the Short state for this if I can't get this working but I am not sure if that state has everything set up the way I need it.

Make sure IRS switches are set to NAV and alignment is complete. This is not something FS2Crew does for you as it's part of the Captains flow. IRS alignment needs to be complete for the yaw damper to work. Otherwise the switch just resets.

Don't know why the APU wouldn't stay running.

Make sure IRS switches are set to NAV and alignment is complete. This is not something FS2Crew does for you as it's part of the Captains flow. IRS alignment needs to be complete for the yaw damper to work. Otherwise the switch just resets.

Don't know why the APU wouldn't stay running.

Ah, okay...! I was planning to save the Ready for preflight checklist state without me doing anything at ALL yet, but I understand now that if I do that I will have to turn on the Yaw damper myself later on. I didn't align the IRS's also because I thought that maybe the current position would be saved with the state... but maybe the software is clever enough to set the IRS position to whatever position I load the plane at?

Yes, the APU is an odd thing... I noticed that also the Short state that comes with the plane sometimes leaves me with the APU off...

but maybe the software is clever enough to set the IRS position to whatever position I load the plane at?

Just don't put the position in on the INIT page.  I've never had an issue with the Short state.  Sounds like something else is causing the issue.

Kyle Rodgers

Just don't put the position in on the INIT page.

Ah, ok, I though I had to do that in order to actually align the IRS's.

About the APU and the Short state: I haven't a clue what's going on... Turning on the APU myself isn't a big problem, of course, but it's not right...

Ah, ok, I though I had to do that in order to actually align the IRS's.

Nope.  The simple explanation is that the IRS is a device that calculates change from an initial position.  In order to align it, you let it sit there and calibrate itself.  That's all.  The alignment is just its process of calibrating all of its gyros and lasers while stationary to determine what stationary "looks" like.  From there, any motion can be detected by the sensors.

All giving it an initial position does is tell it where it should assume it is in the world.  Try manually setting the position (not from the displayed GPS coordinates).  Load up at KMIA, but tell it you're at N38 56.8 W077 27.6 (or throw KIAD in the REF AIRPORT line and select those coordinates).  Then on the RTE page enter in KIAD to KORD via RNLDI1 LDN J134 ROD WATSN1.

By the time you're done with the RNLDI1 departure, instead of being over LDN, you'll be just south of Dade Collier (KTNT).

So, regardless of the value you throw in there, the IRS works the same, and its alignment is independent of that value.  If I travel 35nm west of a position, I've traveled west 35nm.  If I specifically state I'm travelling 35nm west of point A, then I've traveled west 35nm from point A.  All of the calculations in the background are the same, however.  This concept is called dead (ded) reckoning.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok! Thanks for the very useful information!

Hm, still can't get it done. Whenever I load my saved state the IRS's are off again and hence so is the Yaw damper. I created a brand new state a few times now, letting FS2Crew do its flows without interrupting it but no luck.

Well, it's no big deal: I simply have to turn on the IRS's everytime and after that the Yaw damper. Still, it IS odd because there ARE states that came with the plane and which have everything on...

Might sound stupid, but are you running FSX as an admin, and have full control of the folders where the panel saves are being stored?

Kyle Rodgers

Found the solution... You DO have to enter the position in the FMC after all, on the POS INIT page. If you don't do that the IRS's will be turned off again when you load the state. Whenever you load the plane at another location the position of the plane will be updated automatically. So: turn the IRS's to NAV, turn on the Yaw damper, enter the position on the POS INIT page and save the state. Now I finally have the FS2Crew Ready for preflight checklist state... Phew... Took a few hours to get it done...!

Whenever you load the plane at another location the position of the plane will be updated automatically.

Interesting.  Good to know!

Kyle Rodgers

Come to think of it it is quite logic... otherwise you would never be able to save a state with everything running for use in another location! ^_^

BTW I wondered if all my trouble to create an FS2Crew specific state was worth it and if it wouldn't have been easier to simply use for instance the Short state, but there are clear differences between the states, so I noticed, so I am happy I did it. Nothing the FS2Crew co-pilot wouldn't be able to handle, but I like it when things are EXACTLY as they should be... ^_^