Sign in to follow this  
Dyos787

4818nm flight in a standard 737-800

Just to see what range my NGX could achieve I set off from Newark to London Gatwick and picked up a nice tailwind, courtesy of REX. After reviewing the fuel burn and estimates I then kept extending the destination and finally landed in Larnaca, Cyprus, some 4818nm later. Does anyone know is this is possible in reality?

By the way, I speeded up the sim to 4x sim rate although I don't think this messed up the accuracy of the fuel management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know is this is possible in reality?

I have never heard of a 4800 NM flight with the 738. I think the longest I've seen is around 3000 NM.

I speeded up the sim to 4x sim rate although I don't think this messed up the accuracy of the fuel management.

I think speeding up the time may have affected the fuel system. I cannot see a standard two-class cabin 738 flying 4800 NM.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Companies ferry there new 738s to Europe all the time. Ryanair and Norwegian do it a lot, nonstop.

With full fuel, eastbound jet stream winds and no passengers or cargo it can do it. But only cause its empty.

EWR-LGW should be no problem east bound as long as you are not full in cargo and/or PAX.

Lee

Yes I flew with no pax, no payload and took extra care with all possible economies along the way. On average had around 80kt tailwind too. Just shows how far you can push it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KORD-PANC is the longest I've done and that's pushing it heading westbound. That's around 2900nm. 9.5 hours block once, with a tech stop for fuel due to 200knt headwinds. More would be possible with favorable winds, of course. You can probably stay airborne around 7 hours at .79 mach, so draw your circles. Boeing says 3115nm max range.

Matt Cee

Boeing's range chart shows a Boeing 737-800 with winglets can go as far as about 3800 nautical miles when it's carrying no payload. Of course, that doesn't appear to take into account reserves and what not.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.