Sign in to follow this  
RobertVA

slightly off topic, sort of..

Hi, I am about to purchase Win XP. The question I have is, if I buy the upgrade will it do a full install or do I have to install Win98 first? I was hoping it would just want to see the original Win98 disk. Thanks.Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi Pat. As I remember, it will give you a message that there is no version of Windows on the disk, remind you that it is an upgrade and then ask you for the Win98 Disk. After it has looked at that then it will go ahead and install properly.Best Regards,

Ed, Thanks. The upgrade version is cheaper & since I already own Win98 seems like a better choice.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

As a Senior Citizen, retired programmer, and current college student (trying to keep current); might I suggest that you SKIP XP and wait until the new Win 2003 is released.At the college, they upgraded to 2000, but NOT XP (to many bugs in the program according to the system admin.) ALL replacement systems bought this summer are specified to have 2000 rather than XP and will be upgraded when the new Win 2003 version is released (They obtained the BETA version and found VERY FEW bugs in either the normal or the server.)

I'm not a college system administrator, but I do own XP home, and it's fine. Very reliable, very good operating system, with lots of support from MS. Miles ahead of Windows98. Great for gaming.Do a 'clean' install on a freshly scanned and formatted harddrive... don't try to "upgrade" ( you CAN do this with the upgrade version, as explained above ). And visit the WindowsXP update site for new fixes.Dick

I have only been able to find info on Windows Server 2003. Is that a upgrade to Win2000?Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Dick, Thanks. I am leaning toward XP Home because of the price.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Guest GiZBUG

Hum. Windows 2003 Server is the only thing available. There is not "desktop" or "workstation" one. Only server. You can run it as a workstation with tweaks. Stick with windowsxp. SP1 fixed a lot of the bugs, and I've been running XP since day one (get professional, not home) and have had no problems. If you have an old/outdated system, then you may have issues.

Guest ba747heavy

I too voice my opinion on the side of Windows XP. No reason to wait, or try to game on a server based OS........

Hi.Save your money and stay away from XP. Nothing but new skins full of holes / bugs, for amateurs only. If you have any older hardware, some software, it will end up costing you 10 times more than what you paid for the OS, not considering other problems that you have to contend with. TV

I thought XP was going to be the last Microsoft O/S upgrade that would accept Windows 98 as a qualifying earlier O/S. If so, anyone with Windows 98 that skips both the Windows ME Upgrade AND the Windows Xp Upgrade would have to spend extra and buy the full version of the next home version of Windows. Further, I gather the common price for the XP Home Upgrade is about half the common price for the full version of Windows XP Home.