Sign in to follow this  
F50ACE

MSF Repaint Help and Tips

DDS definitely doesn't support layers. PSD is just Photoshop specific format used for editing and doesn't mean to be used for end-user viewing or (in this case) game textures.

@ Everyone.......Don't forget... some of us are using Gimp 2.8 (the newest one)... please do not forget to include your thoughts for this program as well.

@ All of the new comments since 05:44 pm..... I am sooooo confused... lol

Tanks,

-fryer

@ Luis

Thanks... you beat me to the punch on the "Post Comment" before I got my comment out.

-fryer

Yeah, the point of adding the PSD support to the tools was so that you could edit the files in place with layers, and not have to recompress every time you save to disk (it was one of the good suggestions from the alpha testers).  The Addon Builder will handle all the nastiness of doing the conversions, compression and MIP generation for you.  I believe I tested layered PSD files while working on it, but I can't remember for certain, and the functionality may differ by authoring program.  The way the PSD code works is that it just loads the main RGB and alpha channel from the PSD.  It doesn't do any flattening itself, but I believe that normally when a PSD is saved a flattened version of it is automatically saved internally in the file.

Internally Flight uses DDS files for almost everything, with a few PNGs for UI items (like the livery icons), and some regular BMPs for the gauges.

Right, here is a start on an explanation of the use of layers.

It is easy to create layers in an image file. Either use the Layer menu and select New Layer or click on the New Layer button at the bottom of the Layers dialog.

Also, anything pasted in the image becomes a Floating Selection that can either be anchored (that is, flattened onto the underlying layer) or converted to a new layer.

And a couple of examples:

First - a 5 minute paint job, changing the color of the Icon 100th Silver Lining from red to blue.

Procedure:
 - load the psd texture in the Gimp;
 - select all the red parts using the various selection tools;
 - copy and paste the selection;
 - convert the pasted selection into a new layer;
 - change the color of this new layer using the Color tools
 - Done!

In detail, here are the steps:

Choose the selection tool that you prefer. I am using the Magic Wand or Fuzzy Select as the GIMP calls it.

layers_01_zps3f6404b5.jpg

Then, start clicking away on the parts of the texture that you have chosen. Remember that you can add to a selection by Shift-click and subtract from a selection with Ctrl-click. And you can even change from one selection tool to another and continue to add and subtract from your selection.

You should soon have something like this:

layers_02_zpsb1c6f042.jpg

Careful! If you zoom in, you will see that you have missed some parts, so keep clicking away until you have it all.

layers_03_zps33faa9aa.jpg

Tip: You can pan the image, even while in the selection process, by holding down the Space Bar and dragging the image.

Even when you think that you have selected all of the colored parts, if you zoom in even more, you will see some faint dithered pixels that are not selected. If they are very faint, it probably doesn't matter too much. but be aware that this may leave an outline around your repainted parts with the old color visible - it's not pretty!

layers_04_zps1bfc09fe.jpg

You can also use the Select by Color tool in the Toolbox which allows you to click on a colored pixel and have all pixels of that color selected in the entire image. This could give unwanted results and you may find yourself with a large part of your image in the selection.

Tip: Pay attention to the Threshold slider at the bottom of the Toolbox - this allows you to graduate the amount that is selected by all the selection tools.

layers_05_zps3df597dd.jpg

Once you have selected all the red parts, copy and paste (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V or use the menu commands). You will get a new Floating Selection in the dialog on the right.

layers_06_zps4b35b732.jpg

Right-click on that new layer to get the pop-up menu and choose New Layer.

layers_07_zpsf1cf3f2f.jpg

This will change your Floating Selection into a layer placed above your original layer.

layers_08_zpsb68cb67e.jpg

You can hide and display the various layers by clicking on the eye next to each. Here, I have hidden the original (bottom) layer so that only the new layer is visible.

You choose which layer to work in by clicking on it.

Important: Always be sure you know which is chosen since you don't want to make changes to the wrong layer.

Go to the Color menu and choose one of the Color Tools. Here, I have chosen the Hue-Saturation-Brightness tool:

layers_09_zpsb40a5a73.jpg

Play around with the different sliders on the tool until you get a color you like.

layers_10_zps4e5b97d3.jpg

If I unhide the bottom layer, you can now see the new repaint for the Icon.

layers_11_zps7f6b8f6f.jpg

If you start to accumulate a lot of layers, it is important to be able to keep track of them. You can give each one a descriptive name by right-clicking on each layer and Edit Layer Attributes.

layers_12_zpse5a9e74b.jpg

layers_13_zpsa2506b4d.jpg

That's it! You're done with a 5 minute repaint job. Now, just Export this image file and refresh the Addon Builder to see your repaint in game.

A second example, already mentioned previously - placing panel lines and rivets over your repaint so as to preserve details on the fuselage and wings.

Procedure:
 - Create a layer above the fuselage with your repaint;
 - Select everything in the part that you have painted (Remember that selections are valid for all layers, so if you select something in one layer, then switch to another, the selection will now affect everything in that second layer);
 - Switch back to the bottom layer - the selection area is still displayed;
 - copy and paste that part of the fuselage above the painted part;
 - convert the Floating Selection to a New Layer;
 - delete everything in that new layer except the rivets and panel lines;
 - paint them to the same colors as the painted area beneath them.

And now for the detailed process:

Here is the original fuselage in a bottom layer and a roundel placed over it in another layer.

layers_14_zpsd7d1cf68.jpg

Select the roundel using the selection tool of your choice, then switch down to the fuselage layer.

layers_15_zps1edac69e.jpg

I have hidden the roundel layer so you can see the selection area on the fuselage.

Copy and paste this over the roundel, and convert to a New Layer. I have hidden the bottom 2 layers so you can see the new pasted layer.

layers_16_zps1739a2b5.jpg

I used the Magic Wand to select everything in there except the rivets and panel lines:

layers_17_zpsea35b2df.jpg

Then, I just pressed the Delete key, leaving only rivets and lines. Here they are with the roundel displayed.

layers_18_zps52f2bd0d.jpg

Now, I selected different parts of the rivets, for example, all those over the red part of the roundel, then I chose a Color Tool, the Color Balance tool, to add color, in this case, red:

layers_19_zps9d952d80.jpg

layers_20_zps8dd0dd7e.jpg

You can also use the Hue-Saturation-Brightness tool to make the lines and rivets darker and less saturated or any way you prefer. The final result is as shown previously:

panel_lines_rivets_05_zps161b780c.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

How about we make a tutorial on how to repaint in Flight? Once we have everything we need to know though. Rather have a full tutorial than a half finished one.

To:     LuisFelizTirado

I am impressed with both the quality and amount of effort you have shown in passing on you knowledge and expertise to others. I really have a large learning curve in front of me before I can use some of these techniques in the repaints I plan in the future.

I started with Photoshop Elements 10 but have switched to GIMP 2.8 which has the RGB/Alpha channel support not found in Elements. I also have Lightroom 3, and plan to upgrade to Lightroom 4, but I still thick GIMP is the way to go so we can all share our experiences and any techniques we develop.

PS: CS6 or whatever comes next from Adobe is definitely out of my price range.

@ Luis

Bro... thank you for your time consuming effort to teach us newbie_zps73b677fc.gif's.

I for one appreciate ALL the time and effort you have taken, and hope that I speak for all when I say a very thorough "THANK YOU!" :Big Grin:

It's still a lot to take in, however, you have broken it down pretty good and I am considering trying your method as opposed to "the hard way".  Hopefully your instructions will help me graduate. igraduated_zps1799d5c0.gif

Even though I have a lot of time not necessarily wasted (because I have learned a lot in the process) I am going to keep my original project just in case I mess up...lol, I am going to try Luis's method to see if I can't shave off a whole lotta time in doing a re-paint. 

Luis, thanks again.  I owe ya one.... or two..... or even three...lol :drinks:  :im Not Worthy:  

welder_zps84141ca7.gifTime to get to work, :p0128:

-fryer

Was just wonderin' on Gimp 2.8 (By the way I learned how to use "The Lasso".. :Big Grin:  what a very cool tool. :yahoo:  Cuz I messed up on my C-46 project and it was just easier to copy from an unadulterated piece of plane and paste it than to try and figure out who, what, when, where, and how...lol)

How in the world to you know when to quit on the "Fuzzy Tool/Magic Wand" from it changin' stuff that you do not want changed* ? :blink:

Thanks,

-fryer

*Especially on the C-46 and P-51 Mustang... (I forgot to read Luis's take on the Mustang...gawd... he wasn't kiddin' on how much work that's gonna be.)

Ctrl-Z is your friend! :lol:   You can just keep un-doing whatever you have done if you have selected too much.

Then, look down at the selection tool options at bottom left and you will see a Threshold slider. Lower it so that you don't select as much and try again.

Also, once you have an partial selection, use another of the selection tools if it gives you better control. For example, start with the Magic Wand, then switch to the Lasso, or any other selection tool that you prefer.

Remember that you can:

- add to a selection using Shift (press shift while using any of the selection tools);

- remove from a selection using Ctrl (press Ctrl while using any of the selection tools.)

Advanced tip - Quick Masks

This is a way to select using one of the paint tools! Instead of painting, you will be adding to the selection mask.

How to use it?

1.Click on the tiny rectangle at the bottom left of your image window.

2. You will now be in Mask Mode and your previous selection will be clearly visible while the unselected parts of your image will be partially opaque.

3. Choose a paint tool (the Pencil or Brush for example) and make sure to configure its options (brush size, etc.)

4. "Paint" over the area that you want to add to your selection. They will become clearly visible.

5. When done, exit the Quick Mask by clicking again on the tiny rectangle at the bottom left.

6. You new selection will now display normally.

Best regards.

Luis

@LuisFelizTirado

What is Ctrl-Z? I know Ctrl-Y is redo, Ctrl-X is cut, Ctrl-C is copy, Ctrl-V is paste, Ctrl-E is Center Align, Ctrl-Click is selecting things one at a time, and Ctrl-H is view browser history.

But I can't figure out what Ctrl-Z is! HELP!

Oh wait.. I just figured it out. It's Undo!

I take full responsibility if I offended anyone by what I said. It is meant to be a joke.

Oh wait.. I just figured it out. It's Undo!

This one deserves a double :Doh: DOH! :Doh:

Just givin' ya a hard time :Big Grin:

And hey... I am laughing with you. :LMAO:

@ Luis.. thx again bro for your expertise and keepin' us flyin'.

I just wanna be done already and fly my very own painted plane that I did all by myself. (sigh)

Needing some help please....

Can someone help me locate where this particular part is if you are using Gimp 2.8 ... I found it before...but now if it was a snake it would bite me...lol.... now I cannot find it... :blink2:   :Doh:  :t0103:

WhereisthispartifusingGimp28_zpsfc3946d8

Thanks,

-fryer

05/31/2013

Question.... how do you set up say 7 different liveries in one set?  Step by step instructions please :Big Grin:

No particular difficulty. In the Addon Builder, down in the Content section, just keep Adding Items until you have all you want.

Best regards.

Luis

No particular difficulty. In the Addon Builder, down in the Content section, just keep Adding Items until you have all you want.

Best regards.

Luis

Gee tanks Luis... you make things look soooooo easy. :im Not Worthy:

Of course the BIG RED ARROW always helps.smiley-laughingREALhard_zps67c1addf.gif

-fryer