Sign in to follow this  
tundrabum

FSX Re-install to new directory

Due to a crash of FSX, I decided to reload it directly to the C: directory from program files/ms games directory.  This has resulted in faster FSX load times for my 'not the newest' of computers and resolved 'read only' file update problems.  However of course, RC has no idea where FSX is at.   Is there a way to redirect RC to FSX's new directory, or do I have to remove and reinstall RC?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Darrel Zuke

Did you create a directory or folder and install FSX to it? Like FSX  or Flight Simulator X etc. or did you splatter it all over your C drive?

Go into your rcv4x folder and for now make safe copies of rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat in a safe folder location.

If RC has not been moved the open RC and set your flt/wx path again just to be sure. In addition you need when doing a scenery rebuild to put in the new path to FSX. I always save that path in a .txt file so I can copy\paste that path in to the path query dialog boxes to avoid typos.

Next you need to download the current makeryws.exe from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

and install FSUIPC4 (first full-4.86, then update-4.866) from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

which should take care of other apps that use it also.

It is now safe to use all of the RC functions.

You first might wish to check your registry FSX path using the free registry checker utility (to be run right clicking on it to runas admin) from:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

as many installations use this entry in your registry.

Not related to RC but some add-on aircraft and apps place modules in the FSX\modules folder as well as creating folders under the FSX folder. PMDG does this (both a folder under FSX and a PMDGoptions.dll in you modules folder) , Active Sky apps were installed to the modules folder, Aerosoft does with many of their scenery add-ons under an Aerosoft folder under your FSX folder just to name a few. If you still have your original FSX sub folders you might consider copying them to your new FSX location and copying any missing modules (other than the new FSUIPC4 install) over to the new FSX\modules folder. If you are a registered user you should copy your FSUIPC.ini and most important your FSUIPC.key file from your old to new modules folder. As a paid user of FSUIPC you should have your activation key in your simmarket.com account order history file as I recall should you need to run its paid registration function.

Your scenery paths as in your scenery.cfg have changed for FSX default and some of your add-ons and these need to be corrected before running the scenery rebuild in RC.

I've found, that at times like this, you can spend hours to figure out how to make it work, maybe, almost, most of the time. or you can spend an hour, uninstalling and installing rc.

if you can't get it to work, take my advice, and be 100% sure. uninstall and install. and be sure to request a new key when you're done.

jd