Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

I'm coming back... Finally!

After going back and forth for the last 2 years trying to decide on a new system, I finally decided to pull the trigger... 

I've missed FS, and I mean that... It's one hell of a hobby for aviation enthusiast. I'm currently completing paramedic school over the next 6 or so weeks (currently trying to wrap up my clinical/internship) and this is my treat to myself.

I DO have a TON of catching up to do when time allows. FS9 was my last sim, and I'd still like to dig up all of my add-on software (god only knows how much I poured into it) and go back to it, but I know that it's not optimized for 1920x1080 displays. With that last part being said, I just have a difficult time with the idea of going backwards 9 years when I used to it on a 1280x1024 display. But it now seems like it's time to jump up to FSX. I'll start with the PMDG NGX, Real Environment (or something else for textures if the majority recommends), and maybe a few scenery products that I'll enjoy. I loved Vatsim and being with my VA, so I'll return to that after I get my feet wet. I usually preferred flights out of IAH to other airports here within the states. I try to keep it around 3 hours or less or my A.D.D gets the better part of me.

I had considered building my own, but I didn't decide to do it this time around. I purchased a Dell XPS 17 2 years ago that has been one stellar notebook. I returned to Dell and picked up an Alienware. Yes yes, I know "you should of just built it yourself" or "you could of saved by buying 'here' or 'building'" but I just didn't want to do it. If anything needs to be replaced, I have to deal with RMA's, shipping, blah blahh. When I had my screen start to die on my XPS about a month into ownership, a tech was at my door to replace it within a few days. Not to shabby in terms of customer service IMHO. So with that being said, Dell's customer service won me over. And I have something that I can upgrade in a years time if I see fit. 

Specs you ask? Nothing overly special, but this is my first new tower for gaming in over 7 years. Hopefully FS will run decent. 

Aurora R4

i7-3820 @ 4.2

8GB DDR3 1600 (I'll upgrade in a few months to 16 or 24 if needed)

Win 7 64 Bit

GTX 660 (I'll upgrade this in a years time. I plan on letting the 7 series roll out and for the prices to come down a tad)

500GB SSD for W7 and FS

1TB 7200RPM for everything else. 

Onboard Sound (something else I'll add in a few months)

CD/DVD

My 24" Asus will be my main. I might add another smaller display for charts, etc or just use my XPS.

None-the-less, I'm excited to be coming back! Just thought that I would share my joy with you folks. 

If anyone can think of a must have addon, or joystick recommendations etc, feel free to throw them out there. I'm considering a Yoke/Throttle system... I'll be placing an order with newegg within the next week for the yoke (or joystick), FSX and whatever else I feel like I'll "need".

In the mean time, you guys feel free to throw out some ideas of what I should pick up. 

Welcome back to the flight sim community. This is my personal set up.

REX for textures

Active sky 2012 for weather

PMDG ngx, and I am planning to add the BBS a320 to my fleet.

For joystick I use my Logitech g940

I think that covers a my important things. I also fly VAs and plan ton get into vatsim.

Hope you have good luck setting every thing up.

Russell

Hardware: TrackIr 5, Saitek pro combat pedals

Software: Realair Legacy, Baytower RV7, A2A Civilian Mustang, Flight 1 Citation Mustang

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you're going to fly aircraft that have yokes (as opposed to sticks) then a Saitek Yoke is a must IMHO (and pretty cheap these days, plus it comes with a throttle quad).

TrackIR is also an absolute must for me - really adds to the immersion.

Talking of immersion, Accu-Sim is a bargain and upgrades FSX's level of feel in terms of inertia etc.

Then there's OpusFSX;  an absolute MUST HAVE for superb, realistic weather.

For aircraft software, it depends what you like to fly, but I spend all of my time in;   PMDG NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X Extended (far, far better and more polished than BBS in my opinion, and yes I bought both), RealAir Legacy, Flight 1 DC-9, Carenado C208B, MilViz C310R, Ants Aircraft Tecnam Sierra, and Just Flight's DC-6 (not the best, but I had to have a DC-6 and it's the best available right now!).

Welcome back and have fun! ......... and congrats on your training to become a paramedic.  A very worthy and honourable profession.    Big respect and thumbs up!

If you're going to fly aircraft that have yokes (as opposed to sticks) then a Saitek Yoke is a must IMHO (and pretty cheap these days, plus it comes with a throttle quad).

TrackIR is also an absolute must for me - really adds to the immersion.

Talking of immersion, Accu-Sim is a bargain and upgrades FSX's level of feel in terms of inertia etc.

Then there's OpusFSX; an absolute MUST HAVE for superb, realistic weather.

For aircraft software, it depends what you like to fly, but I spend all of my time in; PMDG NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X Extended (far, far better and more polished than BBS in my opinion, and yes I bought both), RealAir Legacy, Flight 1 DC-9, Carenado C208B, MilViz C310R, Ants Aircraft Tecnam Sierra, and Just Flight's DC-6 (not the best, but I had to have a DC-6 and it's the best available right now!).

Welcome back and have fun! ......... and congrats on your training to become a paramedic. A very worthy and honourable profession. Big respect and thumbs up!

Thanks for the welcome! TrackIR is a must have on my list and Accu-Sim sounds like it will be going on my list of must haves. I can't wait to get into the NGX and leave IAN for a gorgeous FlyTampa airport.

EMS has always been a passion of mine. I've done both fire and medical, the latter is my favorite. I've been an EMT for several years now and there is never a day when I don't enjoy it. Gotta love the 3am call for a major accident to get your blood and adrenaline pumping!

I'd recommend some more HD space, but perhaps that's dependent on how much or how little scenery / add-ons you plan on eventually using.  I'd also consider a pair of SSD's - one for Windows, one for FSX. The Windows one can be smaller then if you wish, to save some money.

As the first plane you've mentioned has a yoke, I'd second the recommendation for a Saitek yoke.  Not top of the line, but it's inexpensive, comes with a separate throttle quadrant and works pretty well.  The Saitek rudder pedals are pretty decent too.  I also use a Saitek trim wheel and switch panel, the trim wheel is absolutely superb.

I'm also partial to OpusFSX for weather with Flight Environment X for cloud textures, but a lot of people recommend REX for the textures.

I don't have the NGX as I mostly fly GA stuff, so I don't really have great recommendations for add-on airports that you might want to land the NGX at, but going by other people's screenshots, there's a ton of superb stuff out there! 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Me too!  After MANY years of FS I took a 2 year hiatus and now I am back and can't wait to get back into the cockpit.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Welcome back!

FlyTampa Rebooted for FSX is supurb as well as Phoenix. I like to fly between these airports in the NGX. Flightbeams San Francisco is also amazing so I fly SFO - PHX routes too.

The payware scene has exploded with serious high quality and optimized scenery's that work very well and look even better. Have fun getting setup and make sure you check out all the great guides for setting up FSX so you get a smooth and stable sim.

Welcome back to the simming world. Just a few suggestions regarding your hardware choices. I would highly recommend getting a "K" version cpu for overclocking. Fsx relies above all else on raw CPU clock speed. I can certainly understand your reservations about building one yourself. I'm a bit confused about a Dell Alienware. Thought they were two separate entities. You should be fine with 8Gb of ram. Fsx doesn't use any more than 4. Also, there are a myriad of config file and other patches and fixes that must be employed to allow Fsx to take advantage of recent hardware advancements and to prevent freezes and CTD's. There are installation and hardware guides all over these forums that can guide you. I would recommend Word Not Allowed's guide for a more in depth explanation on how to properly instal and configure the sim. Fsx is a dated platform that is only viable today because of 3rd party support. The best way to instal Fsx is on its own dedicated hard drive in its own folder created by yourself, not the program/files/x86 path suggested by the installer. I would not recommend placing the OS in the same hard drive with Fsx. Good luck!

Welcome back!  I was in the exact same boat as you and have just finished with my reinstall of FSX and all of my add-ons.... Built a new machine and it has changed everything, I have missed it and have been out of the FS light for almost 2 years.

First add-on purchased coming back.... OpusFSX, a must! 

LW

This is the first I have heard of Opus.  Is it used with REX or is it a stand alone program?

It does look very interesting.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

This is the first I have heard of Opus.  Is it used with REX or is it a stand alone program?

It does look very interesting.

It is a stand-alone software that has replaced Active Sky E for me.  It renders weather better than other programs I have used and it works great with REX (REX textures, REX Weather off).  

It also has what is called DHM - Dynamic Head Movement, which simulates the movement of the aircraft when taking off, on the runway, and when you encounter turbulence.  It is apart of the package and makes your interesting.  You can set custom views etc...  and it is very lightweight.

Also, OpusFSX does a great job depicting fog and has a build in weather reference while you fly.  I highly recommend it as I have been a long time AS user.   They have a demo available to test.

As mentioned, Opus is indeed stand-alone, but it does not provide any texture replacement.  Therefore if you want to improve the look of your clouds, you need something like REX or Active Sky.  I use it with Flight Environment X along with Nick Needham's Naturally Dense cloud theme.  It's personal taste, but i find the FEX clouds to be much softer edged and realistic looking, especially when combined with Opus.

People also have quite good results with Opus along with freeware textures.  I can't comment on the other features of Opus, as I don't use 'em.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Welcome back to the simming world. Just a few suggestions regarding your hardware choices. I would highly recommend getting a "K" version cpu for overclocking. Fsx relies above all else on raw CPU clock speed. I can certainly understand your reservations about building one yourself. I'm a bit confused about a Dell Alienware. Thought they were two separate entities. You should be fine with 8Gb of ram. Fsx doesn't use any more than 4. Also, there are a myriad of config file and other patches and fixes that must be employed to allow Fsx to take advantage of recent hardware advancements and to prevent freezes and CTD's. There are installation and hardware guides all over these forums that can guide you. I would recommend Word Not Allowed's guide for a more in depth explanation on how to properly instal and configure the sim. Fsx is a dated platform that is only viable today because of 3rd party support. The best way to instal Fsx is on its own dedicated hard drive in its own folder created by yourself, not the program/files/x86 path suggested by the installer. I would not recommend placing the OS in the same hard drive with Fsx. Good luck!

Dell purchased Alienware several years ago. 5-7 if I remember correctly, maybe longer.

I'll add another SSD for FS, but it will have to wait for a while. This purchase has just about broke the bank for me. I would of gone with an unlocked CPU, but it isn't an upgrade from AW. The Aurora comes OC'd at 4.2 and is liquid cooled, I'm sure I can push it a bit more (I'm aiming for 4.5). I would of built, I just needed the peace of mind of tech support and warranty in case anything goes bad.

I'll be sure to follow Word Not Allowed's guide. I found it plenty useful many moons ago and I'm sure I will benefit from it again in the coming weeks. :)