Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Javiz

Com Ports Windows7

Dear cockpitbuilders,

I am trying to setup a 737NG home cockpit. Sofar i have a, more or less, good working Engravity MIP and have bought a Yoke, Rudder-Pedals set and Throttle Quadrant which will work via their own USB cable and Prosim737. The problem i am running into here is that i don't really know how to find the com port names that my three new peripherals are using. Prosim737 needs to know these names.

I am using two FSX/Prosim737 dedicated computers than run on Windows 7 Pro and three 22" monitors for outside view.

I have searched the net for days now and there's a lot to find about the subject but sofar i haven't been able to find something that actually works for me... F.i. there is something like HyperTerminal but the outcome was that it is no longer available with Windows 7... ALso the Device Manager doesn't seem to have a Ports (COM&LPT) entry no more. Why make it easy if it can be made difficult as well...

My burning question therefore is, could someone here please enlighten me about how to find com port names on a Windows 7 system ?

My appreciation will know no boundaries !

Cheers,

jan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Why would you need Com ports for your USB controls? Your controls would be connected via FSX/FSUIPC.

Thanks for the advice,Vincent, that's indeed true (got yoke and pedals working) but with more complex pheripherals like TQ (motorized), Overhead, radio pedestal Com port names are needed. It seems a matter of most help in the net is still related to XP or Vista. Anyway, now that i found devmgmt.msc (not via the net) which also works with W7 my worries about finding Com port names are over. Got my motorized TQ working, i suppose with some luck the rest will follow. :rolleyes:

You never mentioned you had a motorized throttle, also IO cards would be used for the overhead or pedestal for all non usb connections. Id be interested in your setup as it sounds like you are building a killer setup.

Yes, it ended all up in a " it's now or never; you only live once; " type of setup. In my head it all started with the GoFlight 'Ultimate Pilot' system, thru the Jetmax 'Captain Only' setup, onwards to the FlyEngravity desktop MIP (seperate consoles) but, eventually, ending up for real with a complete FlyEngravity 737 Pro line cockpit. Also because i am an electronic noob ( ok, i managed to setup a good working HO scale model railroad many years ago ) The latest offerings by Engravity all work thru ICS.

Still is more than enough complex for me to get it all working properly.

My 737 pit is build around the 'SimConstruct' 737 cockpit frame.Last week we mounted the Engravity forward and aft Overhead inside it. ( Wow!! What a beauty!!  :Shocked:  :dance:)

I already had the Engravity 737 MIP to play with, rudder pedals (also by SimConstruct), ACE 737 Yoke, FSC motorized Throttle Quadrant. Engravity radio pedestal with fire handles was also delivered last week. This all topped off by a set of real 737 Weber seats i found in Austria last year. :smile:

I have just contacted FDS about their 737 liner kit. I wish there was a European manufacturer of liner kits ( i know of one in the UK but it looks all a bit cheapish ) Not sure about the three monitors for outside view. When i've got everything working properly i might start thinking about beamers...

cheers,

jan