Sign in to follow this  
Gwhaarmann

ATC Airline Names

Fello Flight Simmers:  In FSX, ATC will only recognize a few of the major US airline names (ex:  TWA, American).  I would like to fly other airlines ex:  Virgin, Jet Blue, Pacific Wings.  Does anyone know how you can enter names into FSX's codes so ATC will recognize new airline names?

Thanks.  Great forum!!

Regards,    Stewart S. Leber

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

AirKevin is correct - EVP allows you to create your own airline callsigns so that FSX ATC speaks them. You need to add them to the "Telephony Designators" category in EVP and then use EVP to Update the FSX ATC Voicepack. When you do, make sure you have "Airline Call Sign List Update" checked, or your new airline callsigns won't be added to the appropriate FSX internal file.

There's a bit of a learning curve to EVP, but it's great fun.

You then need to add the airline name to your aircraft. Two ways of doing this (a) change/add the atc_airline= line in the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft concerned or (b) change the ATC information in the Aircraft Details panel from the Aircraft Selection  screen.

If I remember correctly, there are preset modifications for many airlines that come with EVP, so you should only have to run the program and get ATC call you by your real callsign. (There also are some other modifications available, such as wind checks when you receive TO clearance or speeding up the ATC communications)

If I remember correctly, there are preset modifications for many airlines that come with EVP, so you should only have to run the program and get ATC call you by your real callsign. (There also are some other modifications available, such as wind checks when you receive TO clearance or speeding up the ATC communications)

That's a good point, I'd quite forgotten that. But then I use non-standard 'airline' callsigns.

Thanks AirKevin and Dick B.  I am loading Edit VoicePack X tonight.

A question for Dick B:  In your response, you mentioned two ways to add the airline name to my aircraft.  The second was:  "change the ATC information in the Aircraft Details panel from the Aircraft Selection screen.  Could you possibly elaborate on this?  How do you make this "change"??  Are you going into a config file?

Thanks again for being so helpful!  Sorry I am so computer challenged!

My best,    Stew Leber

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

In FSX, go to Free Flight > 1. Current Aircraft - Change and select your aircraft. Then click on Details bottom right. This brings up the Aircraft Details screen, with an ATC Information panel bottom right. Select the Airline Call Sign that you want from the drop down list and Click OK. Note that until your Airline Call Sign is added via EVP and the Airtline Callsign List updated as mentioned above, it will not appear on the drop down list.

DickB;  How nice of you to respond again.  I'll give it a try tonight and report back.  Again, thank you very much for your help!

My best,   Stew Leber

Foster City, CA

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan