Sign in to follow this  

P3D does use SlimDX ...

I was curious about how P3D was getting Visual Studio support with DX, so I did some digging (actually not much) and found the very same DX wrapper I use ... SlimDX.

e89ad4bd24789301ba7bae694c8c9a91.jpg

SlimDX is a 3rd party open source tool that provides a managed wrapper around DirectX so that one can use Visual Studio technologies like .NET framework (VB, C#, etc.).  It's a really cool tool ... you can read more about it here: http://slimdx.org/

I thought that was kinda interesting.  SlimDX can't make old code better but it's a good place to start and move forward with ... that and a 64bit code path ;)   -- given that I can make P3D OOM faster than FSX especially if I turn on Bathymetry.

Rob

Rob, that's really strange. So far, and that's why I moved tro P3D, I never had any OOM with it (?). The Aerosoft Airbus X Extended was giving me OOMs and CTDs with FSX Gold in DX10 mode. Then I decided to give P3D a try, and here I am, free of any of those annoyances... I am also using another rather "heavy" add-on, a b744-400, which runs beautifully :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Rob, why do you turn on bathimetry? If using P3D as a flight simulator it really is not needed.

Rob, why do you turn on bathimetry?

I've since turned it off ... I had it on for water landings.

As for OOM, if I apply some of the same tweaks I do in FSX to improve visual quality ... i.e. moving the LOD from 6.5 to 9.5 with 4096 textures, P3D will OOM just as FSX does.

But to be clear, not blaming P3D ... just as I don't blame FSX ... P3D sets max via UI to 6.5 and FSX it's 4.5.  I guess I'm just visually addicted to 9.5 ... especially when it comes to "airport sighted". :)

But I hope LM keep up the good work, looking forward to new releases.

Rob