Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

C-130 Download

I'm having trouble downloading this one. I need some clarification with this download. It comes from UKMIL. After extracting , I found the following files; Model, Panel, Sound, Effects,TextureDH, TextureMac, A file; Aircraft, and about 6 images, plus a readme, that gave little install info.

I know that the texture folder is copied and pasted in the FSX texture folder. The same goes for the other folders.

My question is what is done with the model folder from the C-130 since the FSX doesn't have a model folder.

What is done with the Aircraft cfg file.

What is done with the 6 image files.

If these questions can be answered, then I will know what to do with my future downloads that have no installer. Thanks in advance!

Only the contents of the Effects folder get copied into the Effects folder in FSX.

Everything else stays as is and gets placed into the SimObjects/Airplanes folder into a folder you create and you can name it C-130.

I hope the plane in question is a flyable plane and not an AI plane.

Typically the file and folder structure of an add-on aircraft, after unzipping the package, will reflect the actual FSX root folder structure. Many can be unzipped to the root "FSX" folder and then if you just allow it to merge folders and overwrite files then it will install correctly. You should back up any folders to be altered first so that you can "restore" your FSX installation to it's OEM state if need be. It is important to remember that there is more than one "texture" folder within FSX. One lives inside the main FSX folder and many more texture files are scattered throughout the program. Each aircraft has it's own texture file within the aircraft folder under FSX>Sim Objects>Airplanes>your airplane. See link below. It's not that hard to get a pretty good handle on basic FSX files and how to work with them. There are great resources all over but the link below lays out the basics and should help you understand how to install an aircraft yourself. Always read any and all read me files with a given package of course. The aircraft .cfg file lives inside the aircraft folder itself. And as long as you are not adding textures/liveries to an existing aircraft but rather installing a new plane package for the first time then it should be good to go with no changes. Use windows explorer to click around and compare your own FSX files while looking at the link. Also make sure you have gone into your computer settings to allow "hidden" folders to be visible. You can google how to do this if need be. Cheers and Good Luck.

http://www.flyingscool.com/FSX_Directories.htm#Aircraft