Sign in to follow this  
patten

circling approach

hi,

flying to LGKR , the NPA is ,coming from the south, a VOR app to RW35.

But winds are 16025G35 not something to land on rw35.

Thus a VOR rw 35 to follow till MDA ,then circling to rw 17.

Mind that 10 NM north of apt there are high mountains.Vectors to RW 17 are leading to crash you into these!

But what do you choose in the menu of RC ?

Pat

A circling approach requires you to remain within visible range of the runway. If you lose visual contact you can no longer continue the approach. So at the point where you break off the VOR approach, you must be able to see the airport, and then you must fly the circling approach to the other runway while maintaining visual contact, and perform a visual approach to the runway intended for landing. I would suggest you disengage the AP or vectors or what ever, and hand fly to the approach. You shouldn't be getting vectors to the landing runway anyhow if you've been cleared to the VOR approach circling to land. The circling maneuver is strictly a visual procedure.

Two things to note:

1. RC does not know about VOR, NDB, or RNAV approaches.

2. It should have assigned a runway by wind direction but if an ai was flying in a different direction then that has first priority.

LGKR has no ILS approaches. (I used the information from DEC-2012 from Eurocontrol.) All are VOR.

What you need to do after accepting the first vector is go to the extended menu (9) and choose IAP. You'll be able to do this at about 35 nm out. Choose the runway at this point and type of approach that is closest to your needs. In an IAP RC will not monitor you until on close final when tower will contact you. You can fly your approach by GPS or FMC RNAV, or whatever means you use to follow the published procedure.

This information also applies if you need to do an NDB approach or a procedure turn or circling approach.

While real world there is some faction of approach radar I recommend you choose the IAP method because of the significant difference of about 4000 feet in the MSA based on arrival direction and topology and just concur with the published charts.

hi, thank for replies.

I selected IAP and RW on the menu, and it went fine.

I just wanted to be sure there weren't other alternatives within RC.

RC is realy a fantastic experience.

Pat