Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Optimal settings for ATI users with FSX - Great Results!

Thx for the HU, didn't know this until now.

@ Charles, do you have Radeon Pro? Look like there is plenty of tweaks to play with. If you can please enclose some pictures here when you done with it. I like to compare the tweaks I have selected.

Regards.

Ill take a look at it. The only use it will be is if you can combine two AA types to cover two things.

In nVidia Inspector, you can apply 8xS (4x Multi Sample AA + 1.5x Super Sample) to polygons which is like edges of Autgen and 3D bits in the cockpit. Then in Inspector you enable Transparancy AA and set it to 2xSGSS which is only 2xSSAA and that is to deal with Gauges, Fences, paint stripes on external models.

For it to be of any use, it must allow me to apply 8xMSAA to Poly's and 4xSSAA to Tranparent Textures. That would be 1 step better that FULL SCENE 4xSSAA and one step better than nVidia 8xS+2xSGSS. I think 8xMSAA+4xSSAA on Transparencies would be 8xSQ in nVidia land I think.

I have been following a thread though about SweetFX. I might look at that. People are calling it the next big thing? But only if full on AA is possible. DX10 makes me puke in FSX. Cant read the gauges. 2xMSAA is no where near enough for me.

Charles.

for what it's worth, I just ordered a Sapphire 7950 and will be testing it extensively next week

for what it's worth, I just ordered a Sapphire 7950 and will be testing it extensively next week

Quick Tip.... Testing. :)

You can ALT+ENTER FSX and then minimize.

Make a change to ATI driver settings AA and AF and appliy it.

Bring up FSX window and Full screen it and it will have applied the new change.

Makes it really fast to try different settings.

Charles.

Quick Tip.... Testing. :)

You can ALT+ENTER FSX and then minimize.

Make a change to ATI driver settings AA and AF and appliy it.

Bring up FSX window and Full screen it and it will have applied the new change.

Makes it really fast to try different settings.

Charles.

fml, really?, that's gonna save me tons of time

Despite the improved frame-rates and overall settings, I am still having issues with flickering runway and taxiway lines and markings. In addition, towers, power-lines or anything that's really skinny flickers as well. Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I am using a 32 inch tv on a relatively low resolution, somewhere around 1440 x 768 or whatever the 700 setting is. If I were to get a monitor capable of doing the 2500 setting would this fix the issue? I am running 4xSSAA Surface Format Opt/Morph off.....how do y'all set up the tessellation? AMD optimized?

Perhaps someone can share their RadeonPro settings? There is too much going on for me to understand. Also, I installed the latest CCC driver and I am getting these numbers, I assume framerates, in the top left corner of my screen. In the past I had a program that looked like this but uninstalled it a long time ago. This has created all kinds of errors with the add-on manager for FSDreamTeam Airports as well.

Despite the improved frame-rates and overall settings, I am still having issues with flickering runway and taxiway lines and markings. In addition, towers, power-lines or anything that's really skinny flickers as well. Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I am using a 32 inch tv on a relatively low resolution, somewhere around 1440 x 768 or whatever the 700 setting is. If I were to get a monitor capable of doing the 2500 setting would this fix the issue? I am running 4xSSAA Surface Format Opt/Morph off.....how do y'all set up the tessellation? AMD optimized?

Dx9 or Dx10 mode?

DX9

Thanks. Tesselation is not FSX related and has no effect. Games have to have that in the engine.

FLASHING RUNWAY? I forgot to ask.Are we talking about Payware ORBX airports where (when at right altitude and distance from runway) the whole runway flickersand you get flashing patches of textures when you over fly them? Or are we talking about the exagerated white outline and centerlines of all runways (especially with REX runways) when viewed at angles and low altitude from distance that have some AA edge shimmer?

Your TV will exagerate things too. I had a run of the mill 32" 720p TV hooked up briefly and it looked horrible. You should be at 1280×720 in game or it will really be bad. Both a friend and I tried this. We both ran out and picked up 27" screens that were 1920x1080. World of difference.If a big screen it must be a sharp LCD or LED 1080p TV.

Tip - Please just ensure that you have AA turned off in FSX or AA looks crappy in game. AA in ATI driver must be set to override not enhance game setting. As for RadeonPro tool? I have not used it. The ONLY AA that looks nice in FSX are...

4x and 8x Super Sample AA. 8 is a HUGE hit in the fps department in clouds and dense AG. Wish there was a 6x.

Enable Edge Detect and that becomes 12 and 24. 12 is almost free. But clouds can have a hit in FPS too at that setting.

The others (Adaptive, Multisample and Morph) create shimmer and crawly AA lines and hard to read gauges and GPS's.

Ensure Ansio in the ATI CCC is set to 16x "High Quality".

I will play with RadeonPro and get back to people. If it's just a tool to enable and disable the same stuff that is in CCC than it's a waste of time. If there are some hidden AA modes that look as good as SSAA but for less performance hit? Then you have my attention. I need to read up and try it. Otherwise CCC does it all and it does it well. You can have profiles too! Make a profile in CCC called FSX and set the settings in there. Then you can have AA/AF settings on a per game basis. Works a treat!

Oh. That number in the corner is average framerate counter and it can probably be turned off.

Charles.

http://www.radeonpro.info/

Looks really cool. Most of the AA based stuff is injection for other DX versions and I see nothing that would improve FSX but I would have to try them. That said. Here are the things I would find really cool...

1. RadeonPro can help on fine tuning of your games making them look better and also feel better and smoother through the use of Dynamic V-sync Control (DVC) and Dynamic Frame rate Control (DFC).

NOTE: I see a problem with Dynamic vSync. PMDG NGX into KSEA. Keep fps over 60 ? Uh... Ya right. Ill keep full time vsync thanks. :) If there is a threshold setting I can set to .... disable vSync if rate is less than 25? Ok. That might be cool but it seems to have an implied threshold of "below monitor refresh rate". Mine is 60 Hz and I would not be able to keep 60 locked in FSX with a GTX Titan! LOL 

2. RadeonPro Features include support for OSD functions making possible to monitor your system with GPU information displayed right on your screen while you’re gaming.

3. You can also take screenshots or record Movies of your games with the press of a key to register your gaming moments.

The record movies bit is interresting. Given the HUGE hit in performance you get from FRAPS when you record movies in FSX, maybe this will be a better solution?

The AA modes SMAA and FXAA are there to inject into games that do not otherwise support AA and I doubt would be as clear as 4xSSAA. But we could try and see. :)

C.

RadeonPro can help on fine tuning of your games making them look better and also feel better and smoother through the use of Dynamic V-sync Control (DVC)

This is nVidia's adaptive Vsync. Useless for FSX if you ask me.

What looks promising is the Triple buffering checkbox. I wonder if it works in windowed mode?

This is nVidia's adaptive Vsync. Useless for FSX if you ask me.

What looks promising is the Triple buffering checkbox. I wonder if it works in windowed mode?

Do you run FSX windowed? I heard some people do. Never understood why. Is there some benefit?

Do you run FSX windowed? I heard some people do. Never understood why. Is there some benefit?

Yes I do. Probably the most handy item in my FSX setup is this T230H touchscreen monitor. I get no touch queues in full screen. Besides since this is a single monitor setup, windowed mode is so much faster to switch from FSX to any other app (charts, weather...) I'm pretty sure I we can still get triple buffered Vsync in windowed mode using the 'net stop uxsms; net start uxsms' batch either way, but if I can do it via driver, add that to that hotswap AA control, driver frame rate limiter... time will tell, but if all of those things work with the 7950, and I don't see why they wouldn't, then we're going to have to revisit that notion nvidia is the GPU of choice for FSX. My 7950 is on it's way, can't wait to put it to the test

Do you run FSX windowed? I heard some people do. Never understood why. Is there some benefit

I run it windowed mode, for the reasons given above.  Swapping between different applications.

'net stop uxsms; net start uxsms' batch 

Bear in mind that while it works (as does the LUA script), it stops Ezcam from working.  The only way i have found that works and retains the EZcam function is task manager.

Ian R Tyldesley

it stops Ezcam from working

does it? how are you launching the batch? if you use FSUIPC it shouldn't conflict with any 3rd party app

[Programs]
RunIf1=KILL,CLOSE,C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\LINDA.exe
Run2=HIDE,aero.bat