Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Optimal settings for ATI users with FSX - Great Results!

When i was running RP i was seeing the same frame rate (as you indicate) It didn't even appear to run smoother to me.

I do run Eyefinity at 5760x1080 windowed mode.

I am still using the settings from my 6970, it's still 4(EQ)xSSAA. At EGLL xtreme i am seeing around 11fps with 20% Airline traffic 15% GA. Turning both off gives me around 3-4 FPS back.

I didn't try the external frame rate lock, currently set at 30 within FSX itself.

Personally i don't think the upgrade to the 7970 made the slightest difference in FSX, i have observed minor performance improvements in other applications.

Ya. I think there is some wall you hit there with Eyefinity flying the NGX into EGLL Extreme 20% AI traffic (Mytraffic) at 5760x1080. with Supersample AA. I guess that all she's got? Wish I could compare for you.

Just tried EQ SSAA at 4x. It is a shimmering mess on my system. 4xSSAA looks better for me without EQ.

Know anyone with three screens at that res using a GTX680 and using 8xS+2xSGSS that can fly the same plane into the same airport? Perhaps that is the card you will need.

As for us single screeners, I can say the tool itself does not offer performance boots of any kind. I think that it adds some smoothness versus CCC at the same settings and FSX locked at 30. But I cannot be certain. I have less of a card that you. Not overclocked. CPU is only at 4.2Ghz. I have Mostly all maxed out and all that. I have been testing LOD=6.5 and Textures at 4096 and it seems to not have an effect. My Torture test is KSFF or KPDX in a PMDG plane. I am still testing. 4xSSAA (without EQ mode) seems to be a threshold I cannot go past with overcast conditions. 8xSSAA (not Edge Detect or EQ enabled) I can maintain over 25 fps in the PMDG over ORBX KPDX provided the weather is not Overcast. But I will post up more details later.

There are a few tricks I like from the tool which I will detail later but sadly meaningless for you and your three screen performance.

I was wondering (if you have time).

1. Is AA disabled in FSX?

2. What if you disable vSync? Any better?

3. Tried 2xSSAA without EQ or Edgedetect? What was that like?

4. Are you using 4096 and LOD 6.5?

5. When you test NGX at EGLL, what is your weather setting?

6. I don't have that airport. What happens at CYVR? Do you have ORBX PNW?

C.

When i was running RP i was seeing the same frame rate (as you indicate) It didn't even appear to run smoother to me.

I do run Eyefinity at 5760x1080 windowed mode.

I am still using the settings from my 6970, it's still 4(EQ)xSSAA. At EGLL xtreme i am seeing around 11fps with 20% Airline traffic 15% GA. Turning both off gives me around 3-4 FPS back.

I didn't try the external frame rate lock, currently set at 30 within FSX itself.

Personally i don't think the upgrade to the 7970 made the slightest difference in FSX, i have observed minor performance improvements in other applications.

Actually to be honest, I am inclined to think your CPU is not enough with that much scenery and the NGX now that I think about it. I could not do CYVR with my current settings with better than 15 fps with my old cpu. i7 will be your answer I bet. But I could be wrong.

C.

WILDHEART3003, on 27 Apr 2013 - 7:15 PM, said:

Can you share your settings in RP, I'm curious what you have chosen in visual, Advance & tweaks TAB.

Regards

As you wish. Followed by screenshots from in game. Note. If I keep the clouds below the overcast setting, I can go 8xSSAA. Also. EQSSAA=Shimmer I hate it in FSX.

What the took does not bring? AA modes that would have been better than 8xSSAA or 4xSSAA. FXAA and SMAA look horrid in FSX. No super tweakies!

What the tool brings?

1. I no longer have to use the forcefullscreenvsync option. It works from within the tool.

2. I can lock the fps at 30 with the tool and leave FSX at unlimited like Bojote recommended. I seem to be smoother even when fps are below 25.

3. Affinity Mask setting in the tool. I have to guess it works. Seems to. No longer need to set it in FSX.CFG.

4. The sweet OSD (On screen Display) showing fps, GPU temp, Video memory in use. Brilliant!

Note the first two in game shots after the settings. I have never been able to fly around KSEA before let alone land there. This is at Dusk with default Building Storms Weather theme with the settings below.

The real challenge remains. 3000 foot thick overcast. Framerate drops to and floats between 22 - 26.

AtYO0.jpg

qoujm.jpg

qXpEz.jpg

1JurT.jpg

9FGBx.jpg

Lfi80.jpg

7whMo.jpg

Y8ntG.jpg

vtCfG.jpg

cGLp9.jpg

akT01.jpg

3. Affinity Mask setting in the tool. I have to guess it works. Seems to. No longer need to set it in FSX.CFG.

I wouldn't use this. AF=14 in FSX, even though it may look at first glance the same as leaving core 0 off in RP, it's not. Fibers always run on the first core available to FSX, so even with an AF=14, fibers will run on core 0. If you force the AM outside FSX.CFG, you are completely taking core 0 away from FSX, and forcing the main scheduler to share core 1 with fibers (source, Jesús Altuve)

This thread is an interesting one. It's always good to see what settings that are good for ATI users being discussed. Not that I'm one of them, but there are plenty of ATI users around.

Looking forward to se what Dario has to day about the difference between the GTX580 and the 7950.

I wouldn't use this. AF=14 in FSX, even though it may look at first glance the same as leaving core 0 off in RP, it's not. Fibers always run on the first core available to FSX, so even with an AF=14, fibers will run on core 0. If you force the AM outside FSX.CFG, you are completely taking core 0 away from FSX, and forcing the main scheduler to share core 1 with fibers (source, Jesús Altuve)

FSXs so called "fibers" (or" other threads" that's a more correct name for them) can run on any core. They are not reserved to just the first core available. Where they are scheduled is decided by Windows. (Source Phil Taylor)

Actually to be honest, I am inclined to think your CPU is not enough with that much scenery and the NGX now that I think about it. I could not do CYVR with my current settings with better than 15 fps with my old cpu. i7 will be your answer I bet. But I could be wrong.

C.

Hi Charles,

I am inclined to agree with you.

I did some testing today, here are my results:

CCC

All use application settings

FSX

Filter not applied

AA off

FPS=14

....It gets easy from here.  Basically i went through applying different settings all the way to:

CCC

Override application settings 24EDxSSAA

16x Ansio (High Quailty)

FSX

Ansio enabled

AA On

FPS=14

Not one setting made the slightest difference.  In fact the earlier lower settings seemed to be slower until i switched over to CCC on override.  Perhaps it's also worth noting couldn't really tell the difference from basic 2xSS to 24EQ SSAA, they look pretty much the same

Vsync made no difference, perhaps i lost 1FPS when disabled.  

I'll tell you what does make a massive difference, the NGX.  When running with the trike i was getting 30FPS give or take, the NGX drops that to 15

Interestingly deleting the affinity mask gives perhaps 1 or 2 FPS back, shifting it back onto Core 1

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi Charles,

I am inclined to agree with you.

I did some testing today, here are my results:

CCC

All use application settings

FSX

Filter not applied

AA off

FPS=14

....It gets easy from here.  Basically i went through applying different settings all the way to:

CCC

Override application settings 24EDxSSAA

16x Ansio (High Quailty)

FSX

Ansio enabled

AA On

FPS=14

Not one setting made the slightest difference.  In fact the earlier lower settings seemed to be slower until i switched over to CCC on override.  Perhaps it's also worth noting couldn't really tell the difference from basic 2xSS to 24EQ SSAA, they look pretty much the same

Vsync made no difference, perhaps i lost 1FPS when disabled.  

I'll tell you what does make a massive difference, the NGX.  When running with the trike i was getting 30FPS give or take, the NGX drops that to 15

Interestingly deleting the affinity mask gives perhaps 1 or 2 FPS back, shifting it back onto Core 1

Use unlimited FPS in FSX and apply the bufferpools=0 tweak if you haven't already.

As for settings, bloom should be off, airport vehicles too, water no more than Low 2.x 

Use unlimited FPS in FSX and apply the bufferpools=0 tweak if you haven't already.

As for settings, bloom should be off, airport vehicles too, water no more than Low 2.x 

Hi Dario,

I now have a stable overclock (fairly low voltage) at 4.1Ghz, temps around 65c which is acceptable.  Frame limiter setting to unlimited.  Bloom off, bufferpools=0 already in.

ATI controlled 12xEQSSAA.   Airport vehicles are required for ASX i think? Traffic Airline = 20% GA 15% every other form of traffic off.

With these at 5760x1080 i get around 20FPS at EGCC which is very acceptable.

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi Dario,

I now have a stable overclock (fairly low voltage) at 4.1Ghz, temps around 65c which is acceptable. Frame limiter setting to unlimited. Bloom off, bufferpools=0 already in.
ATI controlled 12xEQSSAA. Airport vehicles are required for ASX i think? Traffic Airline = 20% GA 15% every other form of traffic off.

With these at 5760x1080 i get around 20FPS at EGCC which is very acceptable.

No too shabby. Given the vintage of that CPU, respectable indeed for a three screener! I will eventually have a mancave and will go three screens. Next year perhaps. By then the new CPU's should be out as well as 8000 series ATI cards. This could get interresting.

Last night I was happily touring around KSEA in the Duke with Dense AG and using pure 8xSSAA. Weather Slider at High Density and 70nm radius. Had broken clouds with about 40 mile vis. FPS in the mid 20's circling Seattle and textures were nice and sharp. Until now I really never "saw" Seattle in FSX. I sure wish there was an easy way with the tool to drop to 4xSSAA when Opus decides I'm in overcast conditions. But as long as the weather stays at MVFR or better with holes in the lid, this is looking great.

Now... To get this CPU to 4.6 or 4.8 without cooking it. Then I can swap out to PMDG in these conditions real nice like.

Charles.

Very interesting thread indeed and I have followed it closely. Now, I am a FS9 pilot and got an AMD card and Radeonpro along with it. As I tweaked the RP like the topic starter I saw a minor improvement. Thanks. If only somebody would make something to that crappy cloud thing, clouds brings the FPS down. But I keep following this thread and hopefully it will bring some good to us FS9/AMD pilots also. 

Tapani Österberg

Very interesting thread indeed and I have followed it closely. Now, I am a FS9 pilot and got an AMD card and Radeonpro along with it. As I tweaked the RP like the topic starter I saw a minor improvement. Thanks. If only somebody would make something to that crappy cloud thing, clouds brings the FPS down. But I keep following this thread and hopefully it will bring some good to us FS9/AMD pilots also.

Your main issue is your CPU. FSX is a ###### for CPU power. Sad but true. As for ATI video cards. Well. Clouds are not an ATI problem. There was a time a few years ago there was a problem with ATI cards and FSX like 2009 and earlier where we would get 8 fps in heavy clouds but that is gone away with the new cards. Pretty much on par with nVidia provided we are comparing cards in the same price ranges. Well. I will have to wait for Dazz to confirm what I am seeing. It's fine for me to say so. I have not had nVidia for a couple of years.

The current drop in performance with clouds is an EVERYONE problem as far as I can tell.

QUOTE FROM A GTX580 user (consistant with all the nVidia based setups I have seen)... Google Word Not Allowed's Titan Review. He has a blog complete with charts for this specific topic.

"Let’s also take into account the problem when flying the NGX, and let’s say you get 25fps in normal circumstances at landing. What happens if the weather is not nice and dandy, but heavy clouds and overcast. What might and most likely will happen, is that your performance will drop to 15fps or maybe even lower."

FYI - He supplies his test files on that page. Basically they are saved flight plans. Note that 2xSGSS is roughly the same as 4xSSAA with ATI and 4xSGSS is actually a quality level below ATI 8xSSAA. Now take a look at this charts. I get the same results as the 680 in the "FSX Test Clouds AA" using his saved flight I downloaded from there.

Reality now is.... The AMD/ATI clouds in FSX problem is now a myth that we have busted. Now what we ALL need is a system that can take a few 3000 foot thick overcast layers in a PMDG plane over KSEA, CYVR, KLAX and places like that with 30 fps locked. So far the only one is the $1000 Titan from nVidia. And then only just around 20 fps. Not worth it IMO.

We need the next gen video card and CPU's at 5Ghz out of the box. ;) Or a new sim written for todays hardware.

Charles.

Good evening Charles and thank you for your excellent answer. What a relief to notice that I´m not alone with this thing and I´m not doing anything radically wrong... As you might see, I´m flying the Maddog 2010 and that´s not the lightest thing out there to fly. I have locked my fps to 30 and the reading can sometimes go as low as 11-15 with heavy clouds and busy airport. But then it can be 26-29 and lovely smooth with clear sky and a smaller field. But that´s just the fact I have to accept..  

The last part says it all, especially the FS9 is so old sim that it should be re-written for todays rig. But that´s another story... :)

Tapani Österberg

Thanks for sharing your settings in RP Charles. Copied your settings and had a small fps improvement. However, I can't seem to see the OSD in game. 

Thanks for sharing your settings in RP Charles. Copied your settings and had a small fps improvement. However, I can't seem to see the OSD in game.

Windowed or fullscreen? I had this happen once. I play full screen. I excited FSX and restarted it and it was back.

C.

Overcast test. Well. Back to 4xSSAA. After staring at 8xSSAA definitely not quite as sharp. But you want Overcast with Dense AG? Well. That's where you have to go. 4xSSAA. This is Langley to Pitt Meadows BC. Overcast with the landing switched to Fogged in setting. We are sooo close. If this card was about 20% more powerful it would be 8xSSAA all the time clouds be damned! And if I could get more than 4.3 Ghz out of my 2600K CPU.

dCMO.jpg

mZ416.jpg

cWq7u.jpg