Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Optimal settings for ATI users with FSX - Great Results!

Find the old files the 290 performs like a Titan and 780TI and blow the pants of a 780 ( they have crappy mems).

Run 3 X monitors setup after install of shader3.0 mod and RadeonPro its runs even better then the Titan ever did even OC.ed to 1400/1900mhz.

Efinity works really great  more easy to config then Nvidia surround and you can run 2, 3 ,4 monitors, no need for same type of monitors you can even run them with different resolution example 1920 and 2x1650 monitors in 3xmonitor setup.

the 290 most be the bang for bucks card only cost sligtly more tan a 770 and 1/2 price of a 780TI.

I never thougt a leave Nvidia cards for AMD/ATI in the sim but now it happend.

Thanks Dazz and Cvearl for this eyeopner.

that is really interesting I also have 290, upgraded from 6950, together with rest of the hardware, cpu from FX6100 to FX8350 and mobo from MSI to Asus crosshair V formula Z and can't see a difference I run FSX from SSD drive with Steve's DX10 fixer, having 30fps in Default Cessna in resolution 1920x1080, have to admit textures look much better with new card, yet they load with lag quite often on the ground, Card itself is really amazing and outperforms my previous one but in other games/simulators.

Hello all,

Hello cvearl,

Glad to see this topic still active.

I have this problem of shimmering and white lines on FSX, P3D and terrible, terrible shimmering on X-plane. All that using an AMD XFX R9 270X 2048 MB.

I initially thought that  this new GPU would be the solution, but it only made things worse. Although frame rates rose, image quality dropped.

I tried a lot of things. Spent more time tweaking than actually flying: Bojote's tweaking tool, fsx.cfg and Prepar3d.cfg properly tweaked,  Radeon Pro set, CCC set with Multisample, Anisotropic set in FSX and set to 16x in Prepar3d, no Surface optimization, etc. All of this didn't work.

One thing I noticed tough, that these settings only work for DirectX 9.0. I have FSX working with DX9 and it looks and works great.

However, if I use the same settings in Prepa3d, I got a lot of shimmering. The same happens In X-plane (64-bit), with greater intensity.

Reading through the pages of this thread, I could noticed that many of the tweaks shown here are for use with DX9.

I would like to know if someone has found a solution to use with DX10 and DX 11, in case I missed in the middle of so many posts.

I also researched on the internet, and in many forums people say that shimmering is something that is a problem inherent to AMD cards.

So, I changed back to an NVIDIA 670X 1048 MB and voilá... no more shimmering, Although I don't get really fast frame rates and stutter free experience, in all my sims, the image is  crisp clear, running with Dx9 in FSX, DX11 in P3d and totally shimmer free in X-Plane.

Does anyone has a solution/explanation for this?

My system specs are as follows:

Intel i7-2600K @ 3,4 GHz - Hyperthreading on - FSX and P3D working with Affinity Mask = 252 

16 GB RAM

AMD XFX R9 270X 2048 MB

Windows Home 64-bit

Add-ons:

Lots of Carenado Aircraft

ORBX Global with Vector

Hello all,

Hello cvearl,

Glad to see this topic still active.

I have this problem of shimmering and white lines on FSX, P3D and terrible, terrible shimmering on X-plane. All that using an AMD XFX R9 270X 2048 MB.

I initially thought that  this new GPU would be the solution, but it only made things worse. Although frame rates rose, image quality dropped.

I tried a lot of things. Spent more time tweaking than actually flying: Bojote's tweaking tool, fsx.cfg and Prepar3d.cfg properly tweaked,  Radeon Pro set, CCC set with Multisample, Anisotropic set in FSX and set to 16x in Prepar3d, no Surface optimization, etc. All of this didn't work.

One thing I noticed tough, that these settings only work for DirectX 9.0. I have FSX working with DX9 and it looks and works great.

However, if I use the same settings in Prepa3d, I got a lot of shimmering. The same happens In X-plane (64-bit), with greater intensity.

Reading through the pages of this thread, I could noticed that many of the tweaks shown here are for use with DX9.

I would like to know if someone has found a solution to use with DX10 and DX 11, in case I missed in the middle of so many posts.

I also researched on the internet, and in many forums people say that shimmering is something that is a problem inherent to AMD cards.

So, I changed back to an NVIDIA 670X 1048 MB and voilá... no more shimmering, Although I don't get really fast frame rates and stutter free experience, in all my sims, the image is  crisp clear, running with Dx9 in FSX, DX11 in P3d and totally shimmer free in X-Plane.

Does anyone has a solution/explanation for this?

My system specs are as follows:

Intel i7-2600K @ 3,4 GHz - Hyperthreading on - FSX and P3D working with Affinity Mask = 252 

16 GB RAM

AMD XFX R9 270X 2048 MB

Windows Home 64-bit

Add-ons:

Lots of Carenado Aircraft

ORBX Global with Vector

Multisample won't do much to kill shimmering. Try Supersampling

Well, I tried.

Supersampling and surface optimization off, but no joy.

I've tried other tweaks as well, as vsync on and off. No joy too.

Although sometimes I could run at seatdy 30 fps, with no stutters using Track IR on ORBX Los Angeles scenery  ( a real challenge to the PC), I could not get rid of the shimmering. It was everywhere.  

So, I went back to may "old" Nvidia 670X. Although with only 1Gb of VRAM, FSX runs smoothly, perfect AA, no shimmerring whatsoever.

Maybe it has to do with ATI drivers, or maybe my Power Source was not enough for the R9 270X. Could not figure it out... 

Edit: It seems to be a problem with the R9 series of video cards, including 270X Lots of people with shimmering problems. It requires a BIOS update...waiting on the manufacturer.

Not related to the tweaks recommended in this thread. 

Thank you so much - Transformed my flight experience and very helpful and invaluable info indeed for ATI users

Hello. Long time nVidia user here but I have been using ATI for a few years now and currently own a factory overclocked 2GB 6950 from HIS with great results. The last few nights I have been using FSX on another computer with a new 3GB 7950 from HIS. It worked fantastic as well. In both cases I am getting glass smooth framerates locked at 30 in ORBX scenery. On that note, occasionally I see posts from people not having the same luck and thought I would chime in on the best settings I have found for ATI in FSX after a few years experience.

These are MUST HAVE settings I would like to point out. Screenshots follow of these settings. With my 6950 I get fantastically smooth experience locked at 30 with Scenery Complexity set to Very high and Autogen to Dense. With the settings listed, I get no tearing, blurring, stutter or otherwise. I can go higher on autogen with the 7950 as well.

IN GAME SETTINGS

Lock Framerates at 30 (best practice)
Do NOT check Anti-aliasing. (enabling AA in game produces stutters when SSAA is enabled in driver)
Anisotropic must be enabled in game

IN ATI CCC DRIVER

Set AA to Override and AA to 4X
Filter = Standard Filter
Method = Super Sampling or you will get hard to read gauges
Anisotrophic to 16X
Quality set to High Quality
Surface Format Optimization Off Or you will get shimmering bad (critical setting)
Wait for Vertical Refresh OFF, unless application specifies

FSX CONFIG - The holy trinity.

Add these. This seems the best and cleanest from testing. I've tried allot of others to get same or degraded experience overall.

[Display]
WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
ForceFullScreenVSync=1

50DnH.jpg
yxch4.jpg

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz, 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM, HIS 6950 2GB, 256GB SSD drive, 27" Viewsonic screen, Win7 64, Saitek Cessna Yoke Pedals and TPM. ect...

OK well the JS41 is the heaviest plane I have. It is by most account pretty close to the NGX in load. But whatever.

I have all of ORBX regions except for England and Wales.

I have about 10 ORBX airports in the NA regions and heaviest airport I own is KFSS from ORBX.

All I can promise is this though.

1. External Limiters cause ATI to stutter. (Don't use it)

2. Unlimited fps setting in cloud causes stutter. (Lock it)

3. Surface Format Optimization must be off to remove shimmer.

4. AA must be off in FSX but Ansio must be on.

As for your situation at that airport in that plane. Well. Not sure what to tell you. Get a GTX680 Super Clock or Factory overclocked ATI 7970? Get water cooling and take the CPU to 5Ghz? Don't know. If I had that stuff I would test it for you.

Charles.

All I have in FSX.CFG is this...

[Display]
WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
ForceFullScreenVSync=1

This is the rest of FSX settings...

k3Oc7.jpg
X8Qs.jpg
GZOP8.jpg
XMmL6.jpg
EGsfM.jpg

Thanks so much - Invaluable information for ATI Radeon user - Has completely transformed my flying experience 

Hi there!

In the good cloudy weather, i have perfect smooth and awesome fps. (737 pmdg, asoft A320, payware airports).

But when it rains... FPS extremely dropping. 

Radeon pro settings like in your screenshots. (also try with ccc)

REX Clouds 1024 DXT5

Clouds settings 100mi/Dense

Hi there!

In the good cloudy weather, i have perfect smooth and awesome fps. (737 pmdg, asoft A320, payware airports).

But when it rains... FPS extremely dropping. 

Radeon pro settings like in your screenshots. (also try with ccc)

REX Clouds 1024 DXT5

Clouds settings 100mi/Dense

Re-installing of sahders 3.0 helped me

I have installed RadeonPro and configured it just how Charles showed on pictures. Also set FSX-SE fps to unlimited. The problem is that frame rate is not locked even as I checked that option in RadeonPro. What am I doing wrong?

My system specifications are as follows: i5 3350p 3.1 Ghz, Asus 7850 2 GB, 8 GB ram, SSD 120 GB - Windows 10 Pro, HDD 500 GB.

Thanks in advance

Marko Lisica 

I wish I could run fsx on high settings fsx runs a out of virtual memory right now fsx its using over 3 gigs of memory on high settings my texture load is at 512 it looks good but I run some high end addons like utc and my traffic but my graphics were lagging in fsx and sometimes I got a freeze up in fsx yesterday I downloaded the latest ati driver 1.5.2 I I believe I it made the world I'm moving those graphics on my 6970 very well I will try the settings that you posted on the CCC but I'll keep fsx like it is. My system is ati 6970 Intel i7 3.33 hz16 gigs of ram run pmdg 737 I have the 747 and 777 but haven't trained on them yet. Best regards Aaron Mack happy flying

Marco I run an external fps confif it works well the one in fsx don't work the program I run is fsx limiter I'll uploaded in the avsim library this weekend if not already there and set fsx to unlimited fps

I have installed RadeonPro and configured it just how Charles showed on pictures. Also set FSX-SE fps to unlimited. The problem is that frame rate is not locked even as I checked that option in RadeonPro. What am I doing wrong?

My system specifications are as follows: i5 3350p 3.1 Ghz, Asus 7850 2 GB, 8 GB ram, SSD 120 GB - Windows 10 Pro, HDD 500 GB.

Thanks in advance

Marko Lisica 

Does Radeon Pro even work with Windows 10 anymore? I have long since moved to P3Dv2.5 though. This article probably only pertains to Win7 FSX with AMD. It's been a long time.

C.

hi charles i set the video card in catalyst just like you said with the same graphics settings in fsx which is high the graphics move much,much better and the graphics are much smoother like hd its awesome with ezdok i had that 2 second lag when i changes cameras now i only need to push the keyboard once my video lag is gone thank you so much

Re-installing of sahders 3.0 helped me

alex bojotes shaders 3 go into the shaders folder should be  your name appdata/local/microsoft/shaders but the program should have a install.exe only problem i had in the past i have an ati 6970 but back then when driver version was 13.7 when i went to 13.9 fsx would go black so i had to revert i been running old driver till yesterday but the 15.4 driver i guess amd fixed it it runns very  smoth now so if you having blackscreen problems in fsx after install either go back to an older driver or simply copy and paste the original shader from fsx make sure you back up the shader but if you get it working good it makes a diference.alex also if you having fps problems run  an external fps limiter and set it between 30 to 35 fps depending on your video card a 2 gig card should be able to run 30 to 35 fps depends what kind of graphics your running payware graphics that is.im uploading into the library a limiter is called fs limiter i been using it for alsmost 3 years now is a  apain in the butt to setup but its awesome just read the instructions and set fsx to unlimited fps

hi guys sorry to post so many msgs just like to help i been running fsx for almost 3 years my only sim.  and i spent many,many hours trying to make this sim work i think i have achieved that by searching all over the net and gathering information i uploaded the fps limiter hopefully ill work good for you like its working for me if you guys have any questions just ask me ill gladly try to help if any of you like a copy of my fsx.cfg let me know i got some useful settings in there i run tripple eyefinity monitor everything in fsx is setup for tripple screen i got halo.bmp for eyefinity pmdg tripple screen settings for virtual cockpit so mouse cursor dont flicker i got that from pmdg.the file i uploaded i put it under fps_limiter.exe.. have fun and happy flying,Aaron Mack