Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Optimal settings for ATI users with FSX - Great Results!

Launched from within FSUIPC when executing the FSX exe.  It doesn't appear to be a conflict as such.  EZCam starts up with FSX, interruption within the Window manager appears to crash it.  Restarting it is problematic within FSX

Ian R Tyldesley

Launched from within FSUIPC when executing the FSX exe.  It doesn't appear to be a conflict as such.  EZCam starts up with FSX, interruption within the Window manager appears to crash it.  Restarting it is problematic within FSX

well, I'm not an EZca user, but since you're ATI+radeonPro why not try triple buffering and report back?

I have only just downloaded that "RadeonPro" app, still playing with it.

Will do when i get my head around setting it up

Ian R Tyldesley

Well at first pass with only "ForceTripleBuffering=1" it completely breaks FSX.  Although it starts the display is black, you can click around the black screen, but nothing is visible.

It also breaks FSDreamteams couatl..? manager.

Even without any options enabled other than the default it appears to have a minor performance impact.

I'll put more effort in later on.

Ian R Tyldesley

Yes I do. I'm pretty sure I we can still get triple buffered Vsync in windowed mode using the 'net stop uxsms; net start uxsms' batch either way, but if I can do it via driver, add that to that hotswap AA control, driver frame rate limiter... time will tell, but if all of those things work with the 7950, and I don't see why they wouldn't, then we're going to have to revisit that notion nvidia is the GPU of choice for FSX. My 7950 is on it's way, can't wait to put it to the test

Why are you stopping UXSMS? On my system, The Desktop Aero switches off whenever a game starts. Like the moment I double click FSX icon, transparent effects.and all that desktop sexy stuff reverts to wallmart mode. Is there noticeable gains to killing that service?

I have not tested the windowed mode fsx. I ALT+ENTER to and from full screen on the off chance I need out to the desktop. Although I use a tablet for checklists, manuals, plates, Charts and Maps. Free with fltplan mobile. STARS, SIDS, APPROACH PLATES and maps for all of North America. Gmap from fswidgets is cheap for tablet. Moving VFR and IFR maps linked to FSX for North America and Europe.

Makes me feel like a real pilot. Enter flightplan in GNS430. Use tablet for charts. That's all they have so me too. :)

C.

I can see you are going to be a valuable contributer to the ATI thread. I did not about this as I am a full screener.

Thanks for the tip.

PS you need to let me know by Wednesday if I would be better off with a 660ti. :-). I have a 2 week return period. Week 1 has run out. I have not redeemed my coupon for Far cry 3. The 7900's come with free games.

C.

I'll do what I can Charles, but living in an island doesn't help with delivery times

I'll do what I can Charles, but living in an island doesn't help with delivery times

Hey Dazz.

I just tested things with the new RadeonPro app. firstly I cannot hotswap AA settings like I do in the Catalyst Control Panel. you do have to exit FSX, make the change and start FSX. The new AA modes are not well-suited to FSX. While they do seem to work they cause shimmer especially in the cockpit.

I am definitely getting better performance with this product. why I don't know I have a few theories though. the utility has its own affinity mask settings. its on external frame rate limiter and its own v sync settings.

With this tool now I'm able to do 12xSSAA anti aliasing vsync on locked 30 in Pro App. very high scenery with dense AG. Cruising Portland. Building Storms theme. 26 - 30 fps. I'm impressed.

Can't get movies to play back though.

C.

Hey Dazz.

I just tested things with the new RadeonPro app. firstly I cannot hotswap AA settings like I do in the Catalyst Control Panel. you do have to exit FSX, make the change and start FSX. The new AA modes are not well-suited to FSX. While they do seem to work they cause shimmer especially in the cockpit.

I am definitely getting better performance with this product. why I don't know I have a few theories though. the utility has its own affinity mask settings. its on external frame rate limiter and its own v sync settings.

With this tool now I'm able to do 12xSSAA anti aliasing vsync on locked 30 in Pro App. very high scenery with dense AG. Cruising Portland. Building Storms theme. 26 - 30 fps. I'm impressed.

Can't get movies to play back though.

C.

Sounds very promising. Already downloaded & installed RP and also TriXX. I'll gladly trade hotswap for an extra couple FPS and some more AA modes to play with any day of the week

Can you share your settings in RP, I'm curious what you have chosen in visual, Advance & tweaks TAB.

Regards

Can you share your settings in RP, I'm curious what you have chosen in visual, Advance & tweaks TAB.

Regards

I will get back to you as soon as I test more. I'm trying to make sure this is not my imagination.

C.

Sounds very promising. Already downloaded & installed RP and also TriXX. I'll gladly trade hotswap for an extra couple FPS and some more AA modes to play with any day of the week

Ok subjectively... It's not higher framerates. It's about equal. It's smoother. Is that the affinity mask built into Pro? Or is it externally locking fps and forcing vsync through pro. Who knows. I know external limiters never worked for me before. Had a lot of stuttering.

I'll write up and share later.

Ok subjectively... It's not higher framerates. It's about equal. It's smoother. Is that the affinity mask built into Pro? Or is it externally locking fps and forcing vsync through pro. Who knows.

I'll write up and share later.

When i was running RP i was seeing the same frame rate (as you indicate) It didn't even appear to run smoother to me.  

I do run Eyefinity at 5760x1080 windowed mode.

I am still using the settings from my 6970, it's still 4(EQ)xSSAA.  At EGLL xtreme i am seeing around 11fps with 20% Airline traffic 15% GA.  Turning both off gives me around 3-4 FPS back.

I didn't try the external frame rate lock, currently set at 30 within FSX itself.  

Personally i don't think the upgrade to the 7970 made the slightest difference in FSX, i have observed minor performance improvements in other applications.

Ian R Tyldesley