Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Questions about Reality XP 530 Garmin

I am thinking about buying the Reality XP GNS 530 Garmin.

I haven't figured out from their web site how things work. For example, if I load the 530 into a payware airplane which has the 430 installed, does the 530 actually install into the VC, or do I have to click somewhere to get the 530 to pop up?

Also, can I install the 530 garmin in a plane without an existing garmin, how does this process work?

One last question: on payware planes with an existing 530 garmin, does the XP Reality one actually replace the one in the VC?

Thanks so much.

The answers to most of your questions are, unfortunately, it depends. In most newer planes with 3D panels, placing one of the RXPs in the panel pretty much depends on having RXP integration supported by that plane. Many vendors have done this, including recent Carenado and RealAir releases and others, and configuration can be as simple as running a utility or checking a box on configuration software. In these cases, the 430 or 530 replaces the default unit. For older planes some simple panel editing skills are helpful.

The other alternative is to use the gauge in a popup mode only, basically using its functionality, but giving up panel integration. In this case, the popup RXP is used to augment the panel unity.

The 530 in a 430 situation would typically be handled more like the second case here, where you'd use it as a popup to augment the panel integrated original 430, unless the panel is easily editable and there's room to do a replacement.

I'm a big RXP fan, but at this stage, I also have to sound a big warning. RIght now, support from the developer has dwindled to pretty much nothing. The RXPs can be fairly straightforward, but they can also offer some challenges, depending on the implementation you're shooting for. There are some great community members who pitch in and help to the extent they can, but based on recent history, you won't get any direct support from RXP. I wish it were otherwise, but that's the way things currently stand.

If you can tell us what plane(s) you're considering adding the 530 to, some of us might be able to offer more specific information.

Hope that helps,

Scott

I ech Scott's statement about support but in my eyes these units have always been for the enthusiast FSX user. Sometimes you need to fiddle with the cfg to make it work right.

One must understand that RXP was born in the 2D panel era and when devs started the move to VC the RXP stuff didn't fit well, especially once 3D knobs were implemented. Thankfully a lot if companies have made native integration configs to accommodate RXP in their VCs.

That being said, I'd buy both. Some planes only have 430 integration like the Lotus L39 and A2A Civilian Mustang while others have 530 only like Katana 4X, Carenado king air 200, some have both; Realair some recent Carenado like the T210, etc

I went without both for a long time. I enjoy having both for the planes that don't accept both units.

Also there is a summer 2011 navdata update on the forums.

PM me if you need help

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Also, can I install the 530 garmin in a plane without an existing garmin, how does this process work?

It would help us greatly if you would provide a list of the aircraft models in which you would be interested in using a Reality XP GNS530.  Then we could better advise you.  I assume since you posted this in the FSX forum that you want integration into FSX aircraft.

I might also ask you to indicate why you prefer the 540 over the 430.  I believe you will find default GNS430 (and 400's which are the same size) in more aircraft than you will find 530's.  They both have the same width but the 530 is significantly taller, so replacing a default 430 with a 530 in a panel creates a more complex scenario to respond to in terms of integrating.

The RXP units provide much additional functionality, and Garmin world nav database updates provide more up to date nav data, including WAAS approaches to many many airports.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

For most of my planes I just use the popup and drag it to my second monitor. Works ok for me that way.

Jim

My experience has been somewhat different as to what others have posted.  I have found the Reality XP support team to be very helpful, but not so with the aircraft developers.  They like to advertise that their airplanes are RXP compatible, but  if you have problems they say "...we do not provide support for 3rd party software.".  The good news is that if you post to the forum, usually some other user who has experienced a similar problem will come to your aid, even though the aircraft developer ignores you.

If you know how to edit a panel cfg file, you will probably be able to integrate a 530 or 430, and possibly both, into your airacrafts VC.  I have successfully installed both 530 and 430 units into my Milviz B55 and C310R.  This wasn't too difficult, as both aircraft already had default 530 and 430 units.  On the B55 there was some problems with 3D knobs, but other users came assisted me.  I have installed a 530 into the panels of my Eaglesoft Twin Comanche and FSD Bonanza V35, replacing smaller Garmin 480 units.  I was able to make room for the 530's by re-arranging the other avionics,

I would definitely go for the RXP Garmins.  They have an enormous advantage in functonality over the default units installed in the basic aircraft models.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Just to be clear - I use the RXP 430/530 in some 9 or 10 different aircraft (I've lost count :mellow: ) and I wouldn't be without them. Any problems I've had, I've been able to work out on my own or with kind assistance from others and I've gone on and helped my share of users as well. And good RXP integration is a BIG selling point for me on any new GA aircraft. But I do think it's only fair to give the warning, particularly without a clear picture of the OP's level of comfort with being on his own.

Mike, if you've heard from RXP (not one of the tireless forum helpers like Bert P., but RXP themselves) in the last year or so, you're definitely in the minority. I know my initial support ticket from way back was never answered, other than the automated "we'll get back to you" response, and you have only to look at the RXP forum on Flight1 to see the issues some users are having trying to get answers to some of the thornier problems, especially on FS9.

Again, I love mine, but what was once an unqualified recommendation has turned to a qualified one - recommended, but with eyes open to the situation. It should also be pointed out that the newest legal data that I'm aware of is from June of 2011. That data does feature a lot of WAAS approaches, but its age is also starting to become an issue, especially for those who fly on line.

Scott

Regarding RXP integration in the Milviz B55 baron , a service release was prepared specifically to address the problem with the 3D GNS 430 knob , as soon as i saw mention of it i got to work fixing that, the B55 was the first instance where the full 3d system was done.

Jean Luc is a fellow Montrealler who has been a friend since my Dream Fleet days and over the years we have had plenty of occasions to chat over a few projects , in recent years he was here with Colin from Milviz over Beer and Sausages.

During one such occasion i floated the idea of doing a full 3D projection plane to put the RXP unit on, an idea that had not been tried at that point, typical installs are on a flat rectangle in place over a square frame.

Speaking for myself it’s a high priority that RXP products are at their best in an aircraft i work on , i owe him that not only as a friend but as the producer of the best possible training aid for using these units , they are unmatched in capacity and performance in game over XML based systems . It’s something i won’t do without , way cool system though i admit my bias .

Regarding RXP integration in the Milviz B55 baron , a service release was prepared specifically to address the problem with the 3D GNS 430 knob , as soon as i saw mention of it i got to work fixing that, the B55 was the first instance where the full 3d system was done.

Chuck, I can certainly tell you that your efforts in regards to the B55 are greatly appreciated.  The Baron remains one of my favorite planes and there's no question that it's an even better plane with the RXP 530 and 430 in place.   Your desire to continue with RXP integration on future projects is also great to hear.  As noted, RXP integration is a BIG differentiator for me when choosing new GA aircraft.

Scott

First of all, thanks for all of your replies.

I would have responded sooner, but had to go to work right after I made my post.

I am not a real world pilot, but usually just pick a starting airport and fly to some destination without filing a flight plan. Along the way, I enter in VOR frequencies and then set my course to point to that VOR. It helps me to know how many miles I am away from the VOR by looking at the DME. Yes I know that sounds kind of lame to you real world pilots...but that's the way it is. I really enjoy the rich scenery along the way that Orbx provides.

In particular, I love the Carenado Baron B58, which has the 430 garmin and the Baytower RV7 which doesn't have a garmin. Most of my planes are either Carenado or RealAir...I just love those two vendors.

At a minimum I would be happy to just use a popup to see the Reality XP 530 garmin, although if the payware plane that I am flying has a 530 garmin, I would like for the Reality XP to replace it.

Thanks again for your responses.

Mike, if you've heard from RXP (not one of the tireless forum helpers like Bert P., but RXP themselves) in the last year or so, you're definitely in the minority

Scott, it was Bert P who was contributing so much assistance.  I thought (mistakenly, evidently) that he was with Reality-XP.

Mike

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

In particular, I love the Carenado Baron B58, which has the 430 garmin and the Baytower RV7 which doesn't have a garmin. Most of my planes are either Carenado or RealAir...I just love those two vendors.

The Baytower should be no problem, as I believe it provides support for integration of the 530.  The Baron will require you turning off 3D knobs and doing some manual edits on the panel.cfg.  Check the Carenado Baron forum and you'll find specific instructions there for the edits.

Reading your last post, though, I wonder if the RXP stuff is what you're wanting.  The big reason most of us use them is that they're completely accurate models of the real-world 430 and 530 which are IFR certified GPS's, and include support for WAAS approaches.  If you're flying VFR and navigating VOR to VOR (nothing wrong with that BTW!) and not doing flight planning or instrument flying, many of the reasons you'd have the units IRL aren't there.  Just something to think about.

Scott, it was Bert P who was contributing so much assistance. I thought (mistakenly, evidently) that he was with Reality-XP.

Bert has helped more simmers through the years than I can even imagine.

Scott

If you're flying VFR and navigating VOR to VOR (nothing wrong with that BTW!) and not doing flight planning or instrument flying, many of the reasons you'd have the units IRL aren't there. Just something to think about.

Scott,

What you are saying makes perfect sense. I still am considering purchase because I understand it comes with a trainer program which would give me a chance to learn something new.

One more question, if I don't care about incorporating the gauges into a particular panel, does the installation program allow for a click spot or icon so that I can at least see the 530 Garmin even if the particular plane I am flying doesn't have the 530 on it's panel?

Jack B.

For most of my planes I just use the popup and drag it to my second monitor. Works ok for me that way.

Jim

Thats it.

After you install reality xp, you start up its configuratr and assign the reality xp gps to any aircrafts,

It would not change the VC or any of the aircraft grpahics nor would be it care if that aircraft has any other GPS.

You simply go to view, instrument and (you would now see a relaity xp gps option) select the reality xp 530.

It would popup.

If you want something more than just a popup then you have to do what others are saying like having to change the panel.cfg and what not.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The answer is yes - but again, you need to carefully consider why you are getting this GPS unit..

The Trainer program is not actually a trainer (it does not train you..), but a program that Garmin provides to real world GNS owners, so that they can train themselves on operating the unit on a PC, rather than in the aircraft.

Having said that, if you want to learn about GPS navigation, there are Youtube videos on operating and using Garmin GNS530s and 430s... and that is where I would recommend you start.

If you then want to add this capability to one of your aircraft, like the GNS530 to the Baytower RV7... go ahead and spend the money..

Bert