Sign in to follow this  
james_uk

Heathrow ILS Approach 09L/09R

Hi,

I've flown a few flights now from EGCC to EGLL whilst I practice using RC4. On every occasion that i'm given vectors to Heathrow using runways 09L/09R, the final heading that the approach controller provides (125 degrees) is not an intercept course for the localiser. I'm using PMDG 737 NGX and the ILS doesn't seem to be in range at the distance from the runway the 125 heading intercepts the runway heading. From memory I was at least 25nm away from the runway and the display in the 737 didn't show the ILS yet - so there was no chance i'd establish on the localiser.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

I'm using REX essential, PMDG 737 NGX, RC4, My Traffic X 5.4B and FTX Eng.

Thanks

James

I forgot to mention: when i'm given vectors to runway 27R it's all fine - the intercept heading for the ILS is perfect.

One test you can do is use the navigation display and RMI to turn inbound on the when the RMI shows the bearing to the runway is at the expected inbound heading. Then see if the localizer beam comes alive as you get closer. The GS indicator will come alive after the localizer. Use the VOR\LOC switch on the MCP as well.

As a rough estimate tune your VOR2 to the LON VOR for your RMI display to cue turning inbound. Fly that RMI heading until the LOC comes alive and then adjust.

Another issue you may have on your EGLL scenery is for default FS9 the ILS systems for opposite ends of the 9/27s use the same frequency but have their back courses turned on as do all default FS scenery. When the same frequency is used at both ends of a runway the back course property should be disabled. If not, you will get false GS and reverse LOC indication until you are within two degrees of the extended runway centerline. Always check the LOC ident  to insure you are receiving the correct one.

RC does not use those frequencies but the nav gear in your aircraft does as RAW data. The real world charts for 27R and 9L use the same 109.50 frequency for ILS.

You need to use an airport editor to turn off those back courses if they are active. The freeware ADE9X can be used to change the airport afd type file such as AF2_, AFX_ , and ADE types. AFCAD2 for FS9 will corrupt some modern designed AF2_ files. It is available from:

http://airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

If you have an add-on airport use the File/Open Airport Direct from BGL to edit it. Otherwise File\Open Stock Airport.

Use List\Navaids and then double-click each LOC\ILS to check its properties and edit as necessary to kill the back course. OK the changeand then first save the airport as a project should you require further changes. Then compile the project to a .bgl and place it in the scenery folder of the add-on and change the original add-on afd type file to a .bgh to deactivate it. If it is not an add-on scenery create a folder called AFD_Files with a scenery folder under it on your FS drive. Place you edited ADE file there. Then in the scenery library add that AFD_Files folder to the top (position 1) of the scenery file list to giver it priority. You can put multiple afd files in that folder without making one for each airport. FS will reindex if it sees a change to that folder.

In the real world both ILSs that use the same frequency at opposite ends of the same runway would not be on at the same time.

So check your default or add-on scenery to see if it needs this correction. Hopefully your add-on developer corrected this.

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed reply. It'll take me a little time to go through this but i'll go through it in detail and try your suggestions and report back.

thanks again

James