Hi, I will like to share experiences on overclocked processors you have, the impact on fps on FSX, specs and recommendations for a stable overclocking, which vendors should I thrust? I saw ava direct, Origin, cyberpower, digital storms, Ironside, etc on USA but no one seems to have experience on FSX and also found comments quiestioning their reliability overclocking over 4,5 GHz.

Please help me decide!!

Heya Jose, 

All I can provide is my limited experience, but I have not had any problems with my i7 3770K on an MSI Z77A-65G with a Corsair H80 water cooler (water cooling is mandatory!). I have been creeping up the clock speed, currently @ 4.4Ghz and still running less than 40C CPU temperature. I feel pretty comfortable going to 4.6GHz given these parameters.

And 4.4 relative to the default 3.5 is *definitely* noticeable!

FSX is one big hack-fest, both on the software and hardware side. Part of the enjoyment!

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Suggest you visit the Hardware forum, where there are many discussions on this exact topic..

Bert

newegg is a goog vendor , as far has OC  you do that your self and it very easy .

just look at my PC and other user  system  ...  for me  4.5 is stable and I don't  realy see why going for more with FSX ...

I built a PC with a ASUS X79 Pro Motherboard that makes PC Overclocking a Breeze

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

This is my setup and I am running OC'd at 4.5 with no issues.  You do not have to have water cooling if you vent well and use an after market cooling solution... I am using a Cool Master Hyper 212 +, however you need to do stress and temp test.

Yes, there is a huge difference with OC'ing as FSX is a cpu hog..... squeeze all the juice out of it you can. I will say that I am not sure what the performance gain is once you approach 4.5 and on.... not sure if jumping from 4.5 to 4.7 is that big of gain, once you approach those numbers you want stability.  For sure going from 3.5 to 4.5 is night and day. 

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory    
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 -  OC'd to 4.5
AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO3
3 of Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm Blue LED Computer Case Fan
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes

(water cooling is mandatory!).

False, Mine is running at 4.7 right now with regular cooling, and has been running stable for 6 months now

Mine is on air too(Noctua), 4.8GHz stable for 8 months. Starting with August last year, it was at 5GHz for 2 weeks, and 4.9GHz for 1month. After that at 4.8 and i didn't change anything since then. I could go for higher, but i just like this temperatures. Overclocking 2700K is really piece of cake. Excellent overclocker! no issues with FSX, no issues with overclock. It would be 5GHz with H50 for sure :)

You can see all spec. in my profile

I'm on water cooling at 5.0GHz. Im my experience FPS are not the limiting factor once your processor gets up there. My limiting factor is currently OOM's. I can run the PMDG NGX with full scenery complexity, almost full autogen (very dense) into FSDT Vancover with ORBX and not really have a problem with frame rates (usually around 18 or 19 which for a worst case isn't to bad). However when i run the previously mentioned scenario i get OOM's 100% of the time. In order to eliminate OOM's ive had to bring my sliders down to the point that in the worst places im getting 25 fps.

As far as the actual overclocking, with water cooling temperature isn't a factor. Its the voltage that i worry about. My temps are fine but in order to go above 5.0GHz i wouldn't feel comfortable with the voltage that would be required.

Nick Running

My limiting factor is currently OOM's

Overclocking has nothing to do with OOM's, and right now we are talking about overclocking.

I can run the PMDG NGX with full scenery complexity, almost full autogen (very dense) into FSDT Vancover with ORBX and not really have a problem with frame rates (usually around 18 or 19 which for a worst case isn't to bad). However when i run the previously mentioned scenario i get OOM's 100% of the time

You can't pretend that 4GB doesn't exist, and stuff that area with everything AND full settings..

I can't even reproduce an OOM at that current state.. but my frames go to about 13.

Overclocking has nothing to do with OOM's, and right now we are talking about overclocking.

You can't pretend that 4GB doesn't exist, and stuff that area with everything AND full settings..

I can't even reproduce an OOM at that current state.. but my frames go to about 13.

The op asked about FPS. i was commenting in my experience that FPS doesn't matter as much to me after an overclock because i have other things limiting me, mainly the 4gb limit.

Nick Running

I found that doing your research on this forum and on others across the web and building your own computer is far more valuable and rewarding than buying a prebuilt, even from some notable places like jetline, far too overpriced imo. I have been extremely happy with every component that I bought and the build went by almost too smoothly.

You can see my specs on the side. I am running 2700K @ 4.8ghz stable using an H100i cooler, which I highly recommend btw. For me FSX is all about correctly implemented OS and FSX modifications. I ran default FSX right after install and performance was horendous despite my specs. I really only fly Orbx areas, and planes with pretty heavy VC. I have dabbled recently with the amazing NL2000 photoscenery for the Netherlands with great results. I also like running heavy AI with UT2. And of course,  Opus and REX weather combo. I used to keep my internal frame rate locked at 30 with 1/2 V-sync, with great results, but I have found instead, forced V-sync in NI and the internal limiter set to 40 yields me smoother flow with TrackIR. I am usually able to maintain between 30-40 fps. Of course it dips into the 20's in the Seattle area and around Heathrow with my settings. But its pretty much butter most of the time.  

As far as reliablity, I think it all depends on the quality of the compenents and whether you are careful during the OC process. I have been running 4.8 OC for four months now with no issues and even dabbled with 5.0 a little. Tuned correctly,  4.8Ghz on a Sandy Bridge seems to be a sweet spot delivering performace and stability coupled with accepted safe voltages and temp.

On a side note, I have not had an OOM in a very long time, actually since I replaced my 560Ti 2GB with 680 4GB....hmm interesting.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

False, Mine is running at 4.7 right now with regular cooling, and has been running stable for 6 months now

Which are your specs? did you overclocked yourself?

Mine is on air too(Noctua), 4.8GHz stable for 8 months. Starting with August last year, it was at 5GHz for 2 weeks, and 4.9GHz for 1month. After that at 4.8 and i didn't change anything since then. I could go for higher, but i just like this temperatures. Overclocking 2700K is really piece of cake. Excellent overclocker! no issues with FSX, no issues with overclock. It would be 5GHz with H50 for sure :)

You can see all spec. in my profile

Considering that the only thing I know is to recognize the components within a computer, do you think I can overclock a PC like yours? how?

I found that doing your research on this forum and on others across the web and building your own computer is far more valuable and rewarding than buying a prebuilt, even from some notable places like jetline, far too overpriced imo. I have been extremely happy with every component that I bought and the build went by almost too smoothly.

You can see my specs on the side. I am running 2700K @ 4.8ghz stable using an H100i cooler, which I highly recommend btw. For me FSX is all about correctly implemented OS and FSX modifications. I ran default FSX right after install and performance was horendous despite my specs. I really only fly Orbx areas, and planes with pretty heavy VC. I have dabbled recently with the amazing NL2000 photoscenery for the Netherlands with great results. I also like running heavy AI with UT2. And of course,  Opus and REX weather combo. I used to keep my internal frame rate locked at 30 with 1/2 V-sync, with great results, but I have found instead, forced V-sync in NI and the internal limiter set to 40 yields me smoother flow with TrackIR. I am usually able to maintain between 30-40 fps. Of course it dips into the 20's in the Seattle area and around Heathrow with my settings. But its pretty much butter most of the time.  

As far as reliablity, I think it all depends on the quality of the compenents and whether you are careful during the OC process. I have been running 4.8 OC for four months now with no issues and even dabbled with 5.0 a little. Tuned correctly,  4.8Ghz on a Sandy Bridge seems to be a sweet spot delivering performace and stability coupled with accepted safe voltages and temp.

On a side note, I have not had an OOM in a very long time, actually since I replaced my 560Ti 2GB with 680 4GB....hmm interesting.

Marc, quite a PC you have!!! thats my goal, how and where did you learn to OC? any advice?

I also use a Cooler Master Hyper 212. I run my i5 2500k at 4.6GHz and the core temp is stable around 58 degrees. I get 30 fps with the NGX at addon airports, except for Aerosofts Mega Airports and EGLL Extreme where it (depending in weather) can reach the lower Twenties. That is with RexE OD, GEX and UTX.

Don't go buying an "instant" PC, this one was my first self built computer and it was really fun experimenting with the overclocking. In this case, Youtube and Google are your friends :0)

LABOX4.jpg

Regarding previous posts. I found 4.5 Ghz to be the best compromise on speed and stability with my 3770k. High quality heatsinks like the CM Hyper 212 EVO are on par with budget closed loop water coolers like the Corsair H60/H80. I use the 212 EVO with no issues. Also, the Ivy Bridge CPU's reach similar performance levels at a lower overclock than Sandy Bridge. For the 3770k, its also important to disable the turbo mode feature to allow it to run constantly at your overclock value. I prefer a moderate overclock over something potentially unstable. Fsx is fickle enough without also having to deal with a CPU pushed to its limits.