Sign in to follow this  
AKStirling

How to create invisible panel?

Hi ..,.

i need to create invisible panels to deal with a problem i have in p3d with the pop-up panels in the 3D cockpit of an aicraft 'popping' up uncommanded when i use my voice recognition software. Makes for some interesting situations: you are lining up on finals and all of a sudden the screen is filled with the throttle pedestal or the overhead. Interesting but not helpful. Appreciate if someone could tell me how i go about doing this??

Thanks

Alan  

I guess we need to know what exactly are you going to do with these phantom panels?  Are you going to remove all of the existing popup panels?  If so, just remove their entries in the panel.cfg file (the line in the top section of the file, and the Windows section below).  Renumber the top section if necessary.

If you are going to keep the existing sections and insert dummies into certain Window number slots, I assume you could use something like this:

[Windowxx]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=0,0
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=0
visible=0
ident=9999
window_size= 0.0, 0.0
window_pos= 0.0, 0.0

Change the xx in the first line to make the sections consecutive.  You might also need to change the ident to make it unique in this cfg file.

If this doesn't work (crashes, FS, etc.) try 0.001 in the size_mm, window_size, and window_pos lines.

Don't forget to add these sections to the top part of the cfg file too.

Hope this helps,

Your suggestion worked a treat ... firstly i commented out all the existing pop-up cfg entries replacing them with your text using the 0,0 sizing... most but not all were completely gone ... 2 or 3 left a small corner of panel image in the very top left of my screen when i tapped in the particular shift+ combo ... i then tried your 0.001 suggestion and that was it. A small tweak but a significant improvement in the good old immersion factor! I am much obliged for your help Tom ...

Alan

Glad to help.

If you just wanted to remove them you could have removed the Window sections and the lines at the top of the cfg file instead, and be done with it.  :)

Not quite. The reason i posted was i had tried what you suggest should have been sufficient but what was happening was: when my VR generated a shift+ combo i got a text message appearing at the top of screen to the effect that no panel was mapped to that combo. Obviously by mapping an invisible panel to all the shift+ combos in the panel cfg then my VR can generate these to its heart's content but of course nothing appears on screen. And no message as i describe. A win-win situation for sure!

So... when you load up an aircraft that actually has that many panels... your VR software is going to trigger them.

I'd say the 'best' approach is to get your VR software to stop using panel reserved key sequences. :wink:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69