Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

DCS: Mil Mi-8MTv2

Are these Mi-8 enhancements incorporated in the latest DCS Update, or in the next one?

In the next update, I think. Actualy that features has no present on the last update.

Real example of how work the flight enginner and the Mi-8 autopilot

Video as the the flight engineer at the command of the first pilot adjusts to neutral positions using pitch and bank channels' centering handles on the (AP-34B) autopilot control panel. on take-off.

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

new system implemented incoming to the Mi-8

News No.4

«П-503Б» cockpit voice recorder is now animated («П-503Б» as a system is not implemented)

7258685.jpg

7260732.png

«П-503Б» cockpit voice recorder is designed for registration of information and special signals coming from radios' output channels or intercom on wire medium. 
Voice recorder control is carried out from commander's pannel located on a left hand side electric console.

Voice recorder should be turned on before engines' start, turned off - after helicopter landing and complete engines' shut down.

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

Activiation of all circuit breakers Mi-8.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2411903&postcount=47

News No.5

Work is continued. Activated all circuit breakers.  

Now-
7306718.jpg

Will be-
7285214.jpg:)

And since this thread is on this Masterpiece ( together with the uh-1h, the only reasons I keep DCS for, although waiting for EDGE before re-installing it... ) I can't but recommend yet another of Chuck's great Guides, this time for the Mighty 8!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144126

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Nice jcomm,Thank You

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Operational signal colour rockets on the Mil Mi-8

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2412581&postcount=56
News No.6

Signal flare system is now made fully operational..
Two ЭКСР-46 electrified signal flare cartridges are installed in left hand cargo bay aft door.

7279769.jpg

Every single cartridge contains four flares (red, green, yellow and white).
Flares gets activated from two «7П622» control consoles located on the left hand electric panel.

7283864.jpg

Console allows for single or burst (up to four) flare launch by pressing one or several corresponding console buttons. Before any operations with flares control panel circuit breakers АЗСГК-5 "РАКЕТЫ-СИРЕНА" on left hand overhead panel and 7П622 on flares’ panel should be turned on.

7275672.jpg

Now virtual pilot of Mi-8MTV2 can draw attention to himself by means of signal flares.

7338139.jpg

:)

I have a procedural question. What is considered a "standard" approach profile in the Mi-8? In the UH-1, and I think the Bell 206 (which I have for FSX), they are always talking about entering into a 10 degree approach at 60 knots, say from 300 feet. And from there, the pilot adjusts his approach such that the LZ appears to approach at the pace of a fast walk. In the Mi-8, though, you have rotors tilted forward such that in order to decelerate you have to have the nose 10-15 degrees above the horizon, and also a panel that hides the direct forward view much more so than in typical western helicopters. For the Mi-8, because of the view over the nose alone, a 10 degree approach angle, much less a "steep" approach of 15 or more, seems very difficult. I think that my eyepoint above the panel is more or less what is realistic (head slightly below the level of the gunsight such that you have to sit up in the seat to see the center of the reticle). I want a base technique to build upon so that I can learn to fly the Mi-8 as aggressively as I have learned to fly the Huey. What do experienced Mi-8 people consider "standard?"

What do experienced Mi-8 people consider "standard?"

You better go over to the DCS Mi-8 forum as I'm no RL heli pilot. Lots of landing related posts over there.

Personally "standard" for me is 3deg glide slope, if you can't see your LZ in the Mi-8 then you're doing something wrong, 10deg sounds way to steep IMHO.

I didn't see any discussions that aided me on the DCS forums, but what I eventually found in the draft manual was "perform a glideslope approach at 120 kph. At an altitude of 100 m, smoothly pull the cyclic aft to begin reducing forward airspeed to attain 60-50kph at an altitude of 60-50m." Somewhere else in the draft manual it defines a "power on glidelope descent" as 120-180kph, and 3-5 m/sec descent. So at 120 kph and -3 m/s, that works out to a little over a 6 degree descent (65 knots, -590 fpm). Without any other reference, I guess that is as close to a definition of standard as I'll get. That is really quite shallow according to most of the generic western references I've been reading about helicopter flying, and being at 60 kph, 60m (32 knots,196 feet) is more conservative than I would have thought. I feel a bit better about flying it now though, because with a big doggy helicopter like the Mil, I was getting frustrated trying to do some of the things that are considered standard on the Huey and other helicopters. A 6 degree descent is definitely doable with my eyepoint, especially at those speeds.

But you have to have a fwd speed component until you reach ground effect, right ?  I couldn't do it any other way...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

You shouldn't have to José. In my learning of flying simulated helicopters, I've come across many times that an ideal approach culminates in exactly 0 airspeed simultaneous to arriving at your hover in ground effect altitude. If done perfectly, it should require little or no extra flare to bleed off airspeed, because there shouldn't be any remaining. Don't forget about landing into the wind either. After reading your post above, I went and tried a couple of vertical descents from a hover at 50 feet. There were no particular problems with falling into VRS. It did require a very gentle and precise touch on the collective, because the tendency to overcontrol is ever-present. My theory is that the tendency to overcontrol the collective on the Mi-8 is slightly more than on the Huey, just because the bigger helicopter has more inertia, and it's easier to get on the bad side of the power curve.

What are you using for your collective lever? Is it possible that your collective lever doesn't have enough precision?

I sold my rudder pedals and X.55, and am now using an old, semi broken X52 Pro :-/

I'm not using DCS presently anyway, but I plan to re install it when EDGE becomes finally available, and if I believe it can run on my system....

Main Simulation Rig:

It can be an expensive proposition I know, but I'm convinced José, that one of the key elements of flying a simulated helicopter is to have 12 or 16 bit precision on your controllers, especially the collective. Sometimes the required inputs are so precise that I tell myself not to move the control, but to only think about moving the control, and to get that kind of precision I just don't know that your typical 16380 to -16380 controller provides the needed granularity.

It can be an expensive proposition I know, but I'm convinced José, that one of the key elements of flying a simulated helicopter is to have 12 or 16 bit precision on your controllers, especially the collective.

Very true :-(

Main Simulation Rig: