Sign in to follow this  
TurboTomato

New GTX 660 or B Grade GTX 580? And what to do with current GTX 460?

Fairly simple question as above - going from a GTX 460 with a budget of around £160. Can get a brand new GTX 660, or a 'B' Grade GTX 580 like this (which I believe is overclocked):

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-213-MS

Which would be better for FSX bearing in mind that's pretty much all the machine does?

And is there anything to be gained by leaving my current GTX 460 in the machine?

Thanks

I never had a GTX 580 but I have a new DELL XPS 8500(2 weeks old) with an i7 3770 3.4ghz, 16gb and a GTX 660 1.5gb and fsx/p3d and xp10 are very fast and smooth with very high settings.  FPS always stay around 30-50 up in the sky and never go below 25fps over cities.  NVIDIA is awesome with most sims and games :good:

Ah yes but you're comparing the 660 Ti there which is out of my budget - I'm looking at the standard 660 (non-Ti)

Never mind, just select standard version from the list: http://www.hwcompare.com/13323/geforce-gtx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-660/

I gived you a link becouse it's usefull,  you can compare all cards on that website :) 

But 580 is clearly better than 660. I'm looking to change my 560ti soon for at least 580. I will buy only 580, 680 or Titan(i wish i could get Titan).

To clarify: You can be happy with 560ti, if you don't plan to use HD clouds(REX or other). But on bussy airports and bad weather, your fps may drop to much with 560 or 660 compared to 580 or higher.

Never mind, just select standard version from the list: http://www.hwcompare.com/13323/geforce-gtx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-660/

I gived you a link becouse it's usefull,  you can compare all cards on that website :) 

But 580 is clearly better than 660. I'm looking to change my 560ti soon for at least 580. I will buy only 580, 680 or Titan(i wish i could get Titan).

To clarify: You can be happy with 560ti, if you don't plan to use HD clouds(REX or other). But on bussy airports and bad weather, your fps may drop to much with 560 or 660 compared to 580 or higher.

Well I went back and checked on Overclockers site on Saturday to find that the MSI 580 I had linked to had been sold from under me  :rolleyes:

So I went and bought the other slightly more expensive Gigabyte 580 that was also B grade. Arrived today and looks just fine.

Well I went back and checked on Overclockers site on Saturday to find that the MSI 580 I had linked to had been sold from under me  :rolleyes:

So I went and bought the other slightly more expensive Gigabyte 580 that was also B grade. Arrived today and looks just fine.

That's great, please report how it work's, if you have any problems - maybe i buy some B grade too if everything is ok :)

Well according to Overclocker's site "Big reductions on fully functioning, working items supplied with a full 90 day warranty to give you peace of mind. Our 'B' grade stock may have missing accessories and do not include any game vouchers or other promotional items."

Missing accessories? Well so long as the graphics card is in the box....

Game vouchers? Don't care.

Maybe they're just fixed warranty return items or returns from people who have bought the wrong kit.

Says full 90 day warranty, but are they returnable for exchange?  example, card was not as fast as you expected for the price?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Says full 90 day warranty, but are they returnable for exchange?  example, card was not as fast as you expected for the price?

Yes, just checked some customers feedbacks, you can get your money back if something is wrong. But there was one feedback, when video card was broken after this days of warranty. I'm not sure how bad can be in some cases

In the UK at least you'd have the Sale of Goods Act that more or less protects you for the first 6 months after purchase.

That I don't know. It won't be slower than my current GTX 460 that's for sure so I'm unlikely to need that service.

Fairly simple question as above - going from a GTX 460 with a budget of around £160. Can get a brand new GTX 660, or a 'B' Grade GTX 580 like this (which I believe is overclocked):

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-213-MS

Which would be better for FSX bearing in mind that's pretty much all the machine does?

And is there anything to be gained by leaving my current GTX 460 in the machine?

Thanks

Hey, I see you are a fellow UK simmer. I have a 12 month old GTX580 that I am looking at selling. If you are interested, drop me a PM :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey, I see you are a fellow UK simmer. I have a 12 month old GTX580 that I am looking at selling. If you are interested, drop me a PM :wink:

Unfortunately you're a bit slow off the mark - I've already purchased a 580 from Overclockers (see post #6).

:(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776