Sign in to follow this  
Andy29

BAC 1-11 - rear stairs and APU

Were the rear stairs ever used by passengers while the APU was running? I would have thought that it would be too loud for passengers. I suppose this would apply for other aircraft with rear stairs as well.Just wondered.I wouldn't know, I've never been a passenger on a 1-11 :(

Guest Toni Rauch

Yes, and you're right - it was very loud!Toni.

Yes, it was. I've walked up them when it was going... great!

Guest Rockcliffe

Airliners magazine has a very interesting story on the BAC 1-11 in their most recent issue, fyi

Guest Motormouse

All the time!!More recently it would be considered 'bad manners' to get joe public using the rear stairs while apu running,but some 'lo cost' outfits' persisted. trimming nanoseconds off their turnround times by boarding at the back, while others disembarked from the front.:-wavePete

Often through out the 70s 80s 90s rear airstair on the 1-11s were used by passengers myself included with APU running 

I experienced this with the following airlines, British Caledonian, Air UK, British Midland, BUA, BEA, BA. DAN AIR

Edinburgh, Gatwick, Jersey, Heathrow, Munich, and many more.

Hope this helps Gents.

Just to add also on Boeing 727 United Airlines  APU running the smell of aviation fuel and the sound pure heaven.

WELCOME! This has to be a record for a necropost - 13 years ago! However, as it's your first post I had to say welcome to AVSIM!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)