Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Beware of NVIDIA GTX 600 series driver 314.22

Just a heads-up for anyone who has installed the NVIDIA 314.22 driver... after installed it for my GTX660, I started experiencing "screen freeze with sound" lockups with FSX. Occurs primarily when in full screen mode (only happened once when 'windowed') and seemed to be related to the complexity of the 'goings on' and length of the flight.

I tried everything to troubleshoot the problem without success until I rolled back my GPU driver to the 310.90 release. No freezes since. It's early, but I think that 314.22 driver has an issue under FSX.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

no problems here, I have a 660(non-ti), 670 and 680.  New driver improved my performance.  Could be your fsx tweaks.

I have to support odourboys (what kind of name is that???? :lol:  ) findings here, guys. There's a good thread started a couple of weeks ago about this driver. I had the same freezing issue, rolled back to 07 and  she's been fine ever since.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/403796-fsx-ctd-with-nvidia-31407-and-higher-31422/

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just a heads-up for anyone who has installed the NVIDIA 314.22 driver... after installed it for my GTX660, I started experiencing "screen freeze with sound" lockups with FSX. Occurs primarily when in full screen mode (only happened once when 'windowed') and seemed to be related to the complexity of the 'goings on' and length of the flight.

I tried everything to troubleshoot the problem without success until I rolled back my GPU driver to the 310.90 release. No freezes since. It's early, but I think that 314.22 driver has an issue under FSX.

maybe an airfreshner will solve your issues :lol:  :LMAO:  just kidding! :Just Kidding:

:LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

....no you weren't...........

:LMAO:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have had these drivers since 3/26/2013 (the day of release) and have not received any indications it is a NVIDIA driver problem.  I have seen a couple of freezes since installation of the new drivers and once an OOM but they were all attributed to my high FSX settings.  Once a BEX and once an OOM.  If it was a driver problem you would be receiving messages like the one in the link provided by PJ above.  I have not been receiving any of those type of messages.  A freeze can be caused by a multitude of issues and I think you need to look at this logically and look for display driver errors like "the display driver has stopped responding and restarted again" and the Event Viewer should show a problem with one of the driver dynamic libraries.  If you are having problems with FSX since installing these new drivers, then you need to look at the installation and maybe reinstall the drivers.  There are two other tools you can take a look at to see if it is the Nvidia drivers causing your problem - the AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html which provides more detailed information that the Microsoft error reports.  In fact it takes the Microsoft error reports and shows more details about the crash that will help techs determine the cause of the crash.  The other tool is the AppHang program - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html.  This program you would run when a program like FSX freezes (during the freeze).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have had these drivers since 3/26/2013 (the day of release) and have not received any indications it is a NVIDIA driver problem.  I have seen a couple of freezes since installation of the new drivers and once an OOM but they were all attributed to my high FSX settings.  Once a BEX and once an OOM.  If it was a driver problem you would be receiving messages like the one in the link provided by PJ above.  I have not been receiving any of those type of messages.  A freeze can be caused by a multitude of issues and I think you need to look at this logically and look for display driver errors like "the display driver has stopped responding and restarted again" and the Event Viewer should show a problem with one of the driver dynamic libraries.  If you are having problems with FSX since installing these new drivers, then you need to look at the installation and maybe reinstall the drivers.  There are two other tools you can take a look at to see if it is the Nvidia drivers causing your problem - the AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html which provides more detailed information that the Microsoft error reports.  In fact it takes the Microsoft error reports and shows more details about the crash that will help techs determine the cause of the crash.  The other tool is the AppHang program - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html.  This program you would run when a program like FSX freezes (during the freeze).

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim.

Unfortunately, AppCrashView is not very useful because FSX is not crashing, it's hanging. TaskManager indicates that FSX is not responding. I'm not receiving any messages. And because I'm virtually always in full screen mode (I've tried endlessly to get it to occur in windowed mode with WhatIsHang running and could never get a freeze), the only way to get it to give up focus it is to kill it through Taskmanager, or sign out.

I've been loading WhatIsHang, but once the freeze occurs, it is impossible to get WhatIsHang into focus so i can't generate a report. The ONLY application I can get into focus is the TaskManager (and then, only when select the option 'Always On Top').

This has been a very difficult problem to troubleshoot. I tried numerous changes to my fsx.CFG that I thought might be the culprit (buffer related primary), reloaded that 314.22 NVIDIA driver, disabling and reloading RealTekHD Audio driver (based on suggestions of audio driver conflicts with this one in the past).

Anyway, I'm sure there are many users having no problem with this driver, like yourself. I suspect it's some incompatibility to my hardware or BIOS. There have been reports of other gamers in general having problems with NVIDIA's 314 GPU driver releases. Consider this a Public Service Announcement. If someone else has this problem, maybe I can save them days of experimentation.

'odourboy' - perhaps not the best handle, but I generally stink up the place, so there you go! :-)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

:lol:

I rolled back to last release with my 670 and BOOM, no more issues with AA....and the plus side, all my other games were not effected at all. 

Sticking with staying away from .22 for now.

I only got no sound if I use F10 for scenery without vc cockpit.

the former driver dont do that.

670 ftw here, same driver.. no issues.  B)

I wonder why there are differences.

Beats me... but  not a single occurrence since i rolled back to 310.90.