Sign in to follow this  
ck777

Overclocking: Overwhelmed with info

I'm starting to do some research to OC my computer.  Specs are in my signature  I'm not wanting to do anything too extreme; maybe make my way up to 4.0- 4.4.  

I'm not the most tech saavy, so the guides that I've been reading seem to be a little overwhelming.  I found this one, which has my exact specs and is very easy to follow:

http://forum.computerlounge.co.nz/yaf_postst5398_ASUS-P8Z77-V---Pro---Deluxe---Overclocking-Guide-For-Ivy-Bridge.aspx

But, this guide doesn't really suggest other programs i should use to monitor temps.  

I found this guide from one of the threads that is going on right now:

http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

I was looking at the guide more for information, since some of is not applicable. (i was completely overwhelmed with that one)

This one seems to also have good info, which I need to re-read many more times:

http://www.overclock.net/t/476469/the-truth-about-temperatures-and-voltages

So, I'm wondering if the above guides are pretty good.  If so, I'll spend more time reading and trying to understand them before I start bugging the forum with a bunch of silly questions.

i really like the fist guide I posted but there is very little info in the guide about temps, programs to use for monitoring, and what is stable.

Thanks everyone and apologize if this is "just another" OC thread.

CK

Chris B. Trane

Thanks for the link.  I read it pretty closely and followed the step by step guide.  Temps in RealTemp got up to 105C., so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  I think I'll start over and see if I missed anything.

Chris B. Trane

I've got the Corsair H100 (Water).  I probably didn't do enough research last night before attempting the OC, since I didn't do anything with RealTemp, except load it up. I've gone over the link you provided...it's a little over my head but I'll re-read it a couple of times.  Now I need to figure out my TJ Max.

This is a little trickier than I thought it would be.

Thanks!

Chris B. Trane

check my thread I asked similar questions and I found a video for your config, seems easy, will you tell me how much do you get to OC? I am thinking of buying your same config . good luck

it is called Overclock for Fsx i cant paste the link dont know why, i am using ipad

I read your thread but somehow missed the youtube video, which is really helpful.

I'm going to be very conservative with my OC.  I'll start with 4.0 and maybe go up a little after that.  Nothing too crazy.

Chris B. Trane

<p>I'm definitely not doing something right.  I took my BIOS to the default settings to start over.  I was curious to see what the temps were and loaded up RealTemp and Prime95.  When I started running Prime95 my temps went up to 105 very quickly.  I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time wrapping my brain around this.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This might be too much to ask but if anyone has my similar specs, it would be so helpful to walk through this on Skype.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Cheers, CK</p>

Chris B. Trane

Are the pump and the fans running?. Those temps are outrageously high. Stop running stress tests.

You may need to re-sit the cooler.

Pump and fans seem to be running.  I only ran the stress test for about 30 sec. and will stop.  Just can't figure out why my temps got so high...this stuff is never easy (at least for me).

Chris B. Trane

Make your life easy this stuff can get really confusing I will tell you to do one thing that's it - all you need to do just up your multiplier download CPUID to check if it has worked also just make sure the basic overclocking overrides have been shut off in your bios done that's it. Do your home work on those items that should be disabled on your motherboard manufacturer. (4.5 - 4.6 is enough no need to push it any further unless you want to deal with strange problems)

Rich Sennett

For FSX, it comes down to two things:

1.You can easily, in a few minutes, overclock an I5, i7 or the new Ivy to 4.5 Ghz with almost any motherboard that offers overclocking and a $30 air cooler. This will give you decent fps, by decent I mean in the 20's.

2. You can become obsessed with 5 ghz and spend money, time, and patience, hoping to get there.

I call this chasing Frankenstein.  Once you catch the bug, you can never let go. 

The fact is that 5 ghz is still in the realm of folks who are willing to spend time and money to get there.

Many of them can tell you that they've destroyed components in trying to get there.

Since you're asking the question about oc, I assuming you're just starting out. I would then relax and go for option 1.  This will make the decision quite easy for you.   Later on, if you're lucky and adventurous, you can try to go higher and, who knows, you might get lucky.

In my case, I am happily running at 4.5 and all I had to do is use one of the motherboard's options to do all the overclocking for me. Pure and simple. 

tc

Hey flyforever,

I'm definitely going for option 1, I want to stay conservative and was going for 4.0 to start with.  I'm just having trouble with my temps while doing a stress test and I haven't OC yet.  Not sure what is happening.

Cheers, CK

Chris B. Trane