Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blue Skyy

To Anyone that is a Student At Embry Riddle Aeronautical Univ.

Hi, I'm a "potential" student at ERAU and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their Admissions program there. I just recieved my ACT scores and I was trying to figure out what the average acceptance of ACT scores was, and what the minimum accepted score was also. I recieved a 25 on my last ACT and I was wondering if that is acceptable to the admissions board. Thanx for any help guys!`Brent Burklo

This belongs in the Hangar Chat forum

Guest RiddlePilot

While I come from the East Coast, where we do SATs, I just finished my 2nd year at ERAU. I'm in the Aero Sci program with an area of concentration in Commercial Aviation. I graduated a private high school with a 2.8 (equivalent to a 3.1 or .2 at a public school) and an 1100 on the SAT. I'm not sure about ACT scores and how its scaled, but I think anything in the top quarter of the rankings will get you in. Just make sure you love flying, can afford it, and go for early acceptance if you are absolutley sure that ERAU is where you want to attend.

Just finished my first year here and love it. I graduated high school with a 3.75 GPA and a 1200 SAT. It's not cheap, and I've heard that as long as you've got the money they'll take you. Don't really know if there's any truth to that, though.

Well, I've got the money, and based on some of your entrance grades and reports I probably will have no problem getting in. I have a 4.3 gpa, 1100 on SAT, 25 on ACT and much love for the art of Flying...can't wait to go guys! C you all in one year!

Guest Blue Skyy

Careful what you do. I would recommend applying to other schools as well (not that you won't get into Riddle, pretty much everyone does as long as they pass the credit check :)). The reason being so that you have options in case you find stuff out and you end up not wanting to go here. My buddy works for FedEx and he's saying that the pilots at the feeder there hate Riddle kids, not sure why. Seems to be a general feeling in the industry...Have you started flying yet? I would recommend you get your private (you said you have a year) first, it will save A LOT of money and you won't be stuck doing your private in the Level 6 Sims with unloggable sim hours. I did the same thing, even took my private checkride on the same day I drove down here. Probably saved me over a year of flight training time. To give you some figures, the current rate for a 172 is $105/hr and I belive $50/hr for instuctor. When I came here (2000), flying the same brand new planes, it was $65/hr for plane and $40/hr for instructor. A lot cheaper.I also had about 13 credits that were transfer credits from high school AP tests and the such. That right there was about $10k in savings. Can you see how focused I am on money? That's because the university (I'm assuming many do) just sucks it away. I came here in the fall of 2000 and just graduated less than a week ago. I'm now looking for jobs :(. Not so good right now.If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them the closer you get to coming here.mcwise@hotmail.com

Well, I wouldn't be attending ERAU my first year. I'm going to a Christian College my first year that offers a Flight program and I will be attending there to get my license and do some other checkrides . It's cheaper there than at ERAU so it's a better choice. I would transfer to ERAU my 2nd year as a sophomore and go into the simulator and such. That's my plan right now...i may even get my license before i get into college so its all kind of shaky right now! But Thanx for the tips guys!

hey ual,why the fascination with riddle? why not just get all your ratings at a good part 61 school? or goto a "real" school like purdue, und, siu, etc? the simulator "stuff" that riddle gives you is not worth anything when it comes time to interview for a job.

Hey chickenhawk,I don't know too much about Aeronautical schools, so all this Part 61 and und, siu stuff doesnt' mean anything to me. I interested in finding another school if its available. And btw: Having a degree from ERAU does look EXCEEDINGLY well in a job interview! No offence or cruelness at all in that statement, but its true! I know several graduates who have gotten top knotch jobs b/c of their education from ERAU. thanx for the replies.!Brent burklo~ Brentbefine79@aol.com

>why the fascination with riddle? why not just get all your>ratings at a good part 61 school? or goto a "real" school like>purdue, und, siu, etc? the simulator "stuff" that riddle gives>you is not worth anything when it comes time to interview for>a job.There's more to Riddle than just flying, you know? We are just as real of a school as others. Aerospace, computer science, human factors...all kinds of other degrees and classes.

Guest Icelandic_Canadian

Hey guys, from what I've heard ERAU is very reputable in churning out aviation professionals, whether it be from pilots to administrators. I would go there except for the fact that it is too expensive. I do already have a job with a regional airline in their marketing department and a career lined up - and I am only 21! The airline is the one there in my signature ;) We're growing by leaps and bounds especially in the wake of Air Canada's shrinking.I do, however, plan on acquiring my AMBA from Concordia University in Montreal or taking Corporate Vision's (London, UK) Global Aviation Management Diploma course for graduates. I have been accepted to Corp-vision's program even though I haven't yet finished my undergraduate degree. The head hauncho at Corporate Visions told me in a recent e-mail that Dr. Wensveen of Embry Riddle is one of the instructors. Do any of you ERAU guys know him?So all in all, I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't have to go spending an arm and a leg to make it - at least, not in Canada. I doubt there is any difference in the USA. It's who you know in the end. Start networking and introducing yourself to airline professionals as early as you can, they're the ones who will ensure a career is achievable. I introduced myself to one of the owners of Hawkair and now I have my foot in the door. As a result, I have made so many contacts in the industry - CEO's, and VP's from airlines as small as Amigo Airways to Zip Air and WestJet. Good luck with whatever you choose, but remember to network. Work on your communication skills as much as possible, they will get you everywhere.Local Air is Better Air- www.hawkair.ca

Guest Blue Skyy

Riddle was voted by US News and World Report (several years in a row, I believe the last ranking was done in 2001 or 2002 if I'm not mistaken) as having the best Aeronautical Engineering program in the country. It outranked even the Military academies.While I am in no way saying that Riddle is the best (I suppose it is for engineering) nobody else slandered other 'real' schools. You seem to have a bone to pick.skyyP.S. I suppose my 'unreal' B-1900D SIC signoff (as a result of Level D training) isn't worth anything to an airline...or my 16 hours in a 737-800 level D isn't worth anything as well? In fact, I would wager that these would be worth their weight in gold if I went for an interview with a regional, especially if they flew 1900's, which many still do.

get real bluesky....they will pick you apart with systems questions on beech 1900's and 737's. i know of at least 5 riddle graduates who do not even list the simulator stuff on their resume because they will ask you a ton of questions on their respective systems. the sic signoff is worth squat to a 1900 operator like mesa or great lakes. you will still go through ground school with the rest of the other candidates.who cares if it has the "best" aeronautical engineering program in the country. name one company hiring ae's right now. there are no jobs right now in todays environment. look at it from a practical perspective. i can give you my current CFI student's (a riddle graduate who now works the line in Hickory, NC) phone number and he can explain the importance of the sim time.riddle is a fraternity, but that is all it is. you learn the same stuff from other aviation schools. a degree from riddle means almost nothing in a job interview. all that matters is knowledge and time. the flying at riddle is way overpriced. the education is top notch, however, but you better be getting something for the amount of money you spend.riddle is not the be all and end all of aviation schools. it sells itself as this. there are a TON of schools out there who teach the same stuff (and some even do it better).all i'm saying is with the airline industry in the way it is, just get a non-aviation degree as something to fall back on. get your cfi and instruct, build time, pay your dues like everyone else. a riddle graduate in todays hiring environment is a $100,000 private pilot.also, avoid these rip off pay for flight training places (like Gulfstream Academy). what these places do not tell you is their graduates are not that respected in the front lines (they're viewed as sell-outs). the fo's they produce are blamed for lowering pilots wages.

brent,no offense, but educate yourself on this subject before wasting $100,000. stay at the christian school and get a degree there. fly at a local airport, or some other nearby school and try to get your CFI as quickly as possbile. instruct while you're in school and build time. you will be considered for jobs (when and if the airlines start hiring again) just as evenly as a riddle grad.goto www.flightinfo.com and visit the message board there (the general topic area). post this same question and see what they say.