Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blue Skyy

To Anyone that is a Student At Embry Riddle Aeronautical Univ.

>172 is $105/hr and I belive $50/hr for instuctor:-erks Someone slap me silly and call me Shirley! $155 for an hour! THATS INSANE! THATS SICK! And I hear you don't get to fly so much becuase of the overwhelming amount of students... Here at a regular flight school for a PPL you could get all that for atleast25% cheaper! I've considered ERAU, but there are many other excellent schools, of equal or better conditions - but thats still four years away :)My Two Cents... or should I say $155? :-erksJason :+

172SPs go for $100-$110 in this area, look it up. There's more than enough planes for the number of students. I've been turned away once, when all of the Arrows where down for some emergency maintanence. You'll never have problems getting a 172 here.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Brent.I will give you my point of view, as a freshly graduated Aerospace Engineer from the Daytona Beach campus, also with about 350 hours and Multi/Comm/IFR, as well as CFI ground school done.Emrby-Riddle is ranked, for the third year in a row, the #1 school in the country for Aerospace Engineering. That department is where I was, but my ex-girlfriend flew, and so did many of my friends, so I have heard good and bad. Basically, the school is expensive, but it pays off.I have since come back to Brasil, and Embraer, for example, where my father is chief pilot, is very eager to interview Embry-Riddle pilots. The quality of standardization, something hard to get out of Part 61 schools, is what airlines and even aircraft manufacturers, like Embraer, look for. Embry-Riddle will give you this. Their instructors all work pretty much exactly the same, so no matter who is on the right seat, you get the same lesson as you would with anyone else.You might argue that individuality counts, but as I see, there is plenty of room for that, as some people get through portions of flight faster than others.As far as I remember, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, a Part 141 school (such as Riddle) has the ability to issue their own licenses (except for the commercial ride, I believe), which demonstrates the trust the FAA has on them. I know, for example, that your CFI checkride is done with a Riddle checkpilot, not with the FAA, although you do have that latter option should you prefer it.Part 61 schools, like most FBOs, do not. Not that their teaching is not as good, it varies, some could be much better than Riddle. But the difference is in the consistency.I have many friends I met at Riddle that fly in the airlines, and many that I met through Embraer, and the general consensus is that Riddle is very good.In my field, my diploma has definitelly turned heads and opened doors. People do honor Embry-Riddle's position.Plus there are several other degrees there (Computer Science, ATC, Meteorology, Human Factors, Electrical and Civil Engineering, Business), the campus is really nice, the classrooms are small (a big plus to be in a classroom with 30 kids instead of some with 400 at other schools), and most teachers are excellent, having dozens of industry experience (the majority of teachers in Aero Sci have come from Airlines and Military, and several have PhD.s).If I were you I'd try a tour, if you can. They can show you everything, including the incredible ammount of technology that Riddle has (all of their more than 50 Cessna 172s are at max a year old. After that, they turn them back to Cessna and get new ones).If you have more questions, please e-mail me at fabiomiguez@hotmail.com

Thanx for your input Fabio, out of everyone here it has helped me the most. But here is my situation. The probability of me actually getting my PPL or IR checkride at Embry Riddle is very slim. I have a HIGH chance of attending Liberty Univ. my freshman year of college and it does have a Aeronautical department where you can recieve your PPL and IR checkride. And If I didn't get it at Liberty I would get it here in Tampa before I went to college. It just saves a whole lot of money. I do have a scheduled tour for the Daytona Campus coming up and i am exstatic about that. I am also going to check out Liberty's Aero department before I choose to select them as a start for me. Thank you all for your input and suggestions, they have all been taken into consideration.~Brent BurkloBrentbefine79@aol.com

Guest Blue Skyy

<< know of at least 5 riddle graduates who do not even list the simulator stuff on their resume >>Perhaps they should have studied more throughly. I feel very confident in B-1900D questions, and so-so on the 73. While I may not be able to answer questions that a fresh airline f/o could answer, that is not the point. The point is I am familiar with the operations of a large jet, making the transition from piston to turbine easier. One of my old flight instructors went to Contiental Express and couldn't pass the checkride on the ERJ. I'd be willing to bet that with exposure to the 'big iron' stuff early on he would have been more successful. He did not go to riddle.<>It's getting to that ground school that makes a difference. With a SIC signoff the airline knows I am familiar with the aircraft, and that I can hack similar ground school environments if they fly other aircraft. That's like saying that a company would hire someone with no experience over someone with some experience (everything else being pretty much equal). That's BS and you know it.<>That wasn't the debate. You inferred riddle as being 'unreal' in one of your previous posts. This was merely a rebuttle of your jab. Not if companies are hiring. That I will not dispute :). Also, I'm sure you know that networking is a HUGE part of obtaining a job (true in any industry really). 25% of all airline pilots right now are Riddle graduates. That's a huge contact base.<< i can give you my current CFI student's (a riddle graduate who now works the line in Hickory, NC) phone number and he can explain the importance of the sim time.>>Tell him to network more. Also, what is he working on? I finished all my ratings in less than 5 semesters. I'm a SEL/MEL Comm-Inst. CFI/I.<>This is called Marketing. Pepsi isn't the 'be all - end all' of soft drinks. But the commercials sure try and sell you that idea. While it may be construed as 'hype', it has merit. Riddle's flying is geared toward training future airline pilots. Everything that is done is done for a reason, such as flows, the Operations Book, etc. They all have an airline connection somehow. Not to say that the flying is the best you can get! I'm sure it's not. There is always something better. But the program is darn good. <>I prefer to not think of it as building time. I like flying, and I enjoy sharing my experiences with other students. While I do want to fly for an airline one day (I think I would like to stick to a smaller regional) it is not merely a means to an end.<>I wholeheartedly agree. I remember reading an article specifically targeting Gulfstream Academy as well. skyy

OK Guys,What is a good aviation school on the east coast ? My son wants to go into Aviation Management (good choice ?) and from there try to become a pilot for a major carrier... he said that he would like to drive airbuses. He can't stop talking about Embry Riddle .P.Z.L.Sorry about the login and sig difference... didn't see that I was logged in under my son's id.

Guest Blue Skyy

Riddle is good for flying, not sure how good for management. It might be better to go to a much more well rounded school to get a BS in management. Look up the requirments for airlines that are currently hiring managers or ask around on industry message boards. Incidently Airbus offered to give the Daytona campus 2 new Level D Airbus sims (I belive A320's). All riddle would have to do is maintain them. Pretty Cool. I'm assuming riddle will accept the deal (i'd hope so atleast lol).skyy

If your son goes to riddle you better mortgage the house once more....Tell him to get a business degree at a non aviation school. Take lessons and fly at a local school and build time eventually getting his CFI. He can instruct while at school getting his business degree.A good head start might be to have him get his private pilots license before he graduates high school.

blue skyy,you still at riddle? (it sounds like it)are any recent riddle graduates getting jobs right now? i'm sure their placement is no different than comair, panam, or a part 61 school, etc yet the costs are much greater. that is my only point.learning flows/callouts/etc can be gotten by buddying up with another pilot, buying a $45 book, and practicing yourselves. my point is that a lot of what riddle/comair/panam pass off as airline "prepping" can be learnt from much cheaper books and asking pilots.as far as your cfi flushing out of coex, too bad for him. my understanding is you need to study your but off for the ground school, perhaps he did not. any college should prepare you to study. i know of 3 people from my little 61 school who have survived at coex (the layoffs). too bad they ain't hiring either.i miss the glory days of 800hr cfi's being sucked up into the system. i guess i was 2 years too late.i would be floored if 25% of ALL airline pilots are riddle grads. you might want to check that out and reverify. here is alpa's intro for beginners:http://www.alpa.org/alpa/DesktopModules/Vi...?DocumentID=835it says half of all airline pilots are ex-military. so your telling me 50% of all civilian trained airline pilots are riddle grads? i don't think so.

>>There's more to Riddle than just flying, you know? We are just as real of a school as others. Aerospace, computer science, human factors...all kinds of other degrees and classes<<

Eric 

Guest Blue Skyy

<>Me too. Here it was 275 hr. 25 multi for ASA's bridge program (that was the record at this campus, right into J41's and CRJ's!). They've sinced upped it to 600/100. Not so bad. The hiring pool is very large now though that they aren't hiring. Since you like sources email Lisa.Scott@erau.edu, she can back this up. She is the director at Career Services. <>This was quoted at our airshow in 2001. Also, 50% may be ex-military, ALPA isn't all inclusive AND someone could be ex-military and still be a college grad (ROTC??). American, one of the largest airlines, is not included in ALPA. skyy