Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Is this an FS9 bug?

I was fine and able to ignore this the first few times, but just ran into it again.

Anybody have this problem?  What happens is sometimes in the ocean, not too far from the coast, I would see a thin straight line of "ground texture" that extend about 2 miles across.  I know the first time I encountered this was on a fresh install.  Pretty weird and very rare.

Normally I'd ignore it but the reason I brought it up is I found one on one of my favorite routes which is a short flight from Madrid to Ibiza using Aerosoft scenery for both airports.

As I enter the open water before descending for Ibiza, I found this line.

I'm not sure if it's water related because I had my water slider maxed out.  I've lowered the slider and will do a test flight tonight to see if it's still there.

Anybody else encounter this?

I think me too have the problem. But if you have a screenshot then it would be better for everyone to know the problem :)

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I have the same two sceneries and have done that flight also. I don't recall any problems but I usually have water effect on low or turned off...

sk1nny,

Been a little busy and haven't had the time yet to fly yet.  I'm going to do another test flight with lower water setting and see if it's still there.  If I see it, I'll do a screen shot.

Kiwi,

I hope it's water related.  I lowered my water slider so I will find out on my next flight.

I'll report back once I find out the cause. 

Yup.

I've spotted one in UT Europe (I think, though I'm not sure how far eastwards that package extends), somewhere along the south west coast of Turkey. It crosses several bays and inlets and just disappears half way across the final bay. I assumed it's caused by badly drawn LWM that doesn't quite reach the edge of a tile- just careless creation.

If it really annoys you, you could make your own LWM for that area with something like SBuilder.

Regards,

D

I don't think it's UT related.  I think I've seen it once on default scenery before I installed UT, GEP, etc.

It doesn't really bother me.  I'm going to try another flight tonight with lower water setting and see if it's still there.

Hi.

I was wrong in any case (sorry). I had a quick fly by last night once I was home from work and my bug turned out to be vector coastline.

A couple of years ago I did manage accidentally to create a small triangular island off the coast of north wales while messing about with LWM for UTE, default coasts, Horizon VFR Terrain and Justflight photoscenery. It appeared where the add-on LWM missed the corner of that tile. I kept it as I like the idea of my own private island near Snowdonia. I don't think I've ever seen a long strip of land but there's no reason why one shouldn't occur.

I do still suspect your problem relates to LWM as anything that isn't explicitly defined as water shows as land by default.

Could you give a screenie with the Shift+Z info at the top (a top-down view might be best), or, if it shows in default scenery, the lat and lon?

Cheers,

D

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is LWM?

I did my flight last night with the lower water setting and it's still there.  I took about 6 pics using the prt scr button on my keyboard but I can't find the pics anywhere.  I thought it would save on it's own folder under the "pictures" category like fsx.

Looks like I will try again tonight, but this time I'll take a screen shot using Fraps.

I did my flight last night with the lower water setting and it's still there. I took about 6 pics using the prt scr button on my keyboard but I can't find the pics anywhere. I thought it would save on it's own folder under the "pictures" category like fsx.

Hitting Print Screen simply takes a snapshot of the desktop and places it on the clipboard. You must manually paste it into a program such as paint and save.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is LWM?

I did my flight last night with the lower water setting and it's still there.  I took about 6 pics using the prt scr button on my keyboard but I can't find the pics anywhere.  I thought it would save on it's own folder under the "pictures" category like fsx.

Looks like I will try again tonight, but this time I'll take a screen shot using Fraps.

Hi.

Forgive the delay- I have no internet at home so all this is done during tea breaks at work...

Like Matt said, you'll need to paste the PrntScrn output into Paint or some other image application, then save. In order to put a screenie in your post it will have to be a jpeg (or possibly a .png). I've only used jpegs here.

LWM is land-water-mask. It wasn't a dumb question-- there's far too much jargon in this world... Coasts in FS9 are made up of two items: (a) the bit where the land stops and the water starts, and (.b.) - bleedin' smiley autoformatting - the coloured line that looks like the beach.

Land-water-mask defines the boundary where the land stops and the water starts. If you disable all the LWM then the whole FS9 world becomes land because, as I wrote above, anything not defined (by the LWM) as water defaults to land.

If you disable the vector coastline, you won't see any beach / foreshore and you won't get any waves breaking. It looks a bit strange having land transition straight into water with no shoreline, but disabling sections of the vector coastline is sometimes necessary where addon LWM doesn't coincide with default coastline. That's a situation that can leave just the coloured line + waves looping out into a bay or running up into the land.

That may be what you have, but the fact that you describe it as a straight line of ground texture suggests that it's a glitch at the edge of a rectangular LWM tile. I don't think the word tile is used commonly but I can't think of a better description... Each one has a specific numerical name which describes its location on the surface of the FS9 planet, and each one is made up of several *.bgl files whose names consist of two letters plus the numerical location string.

The letters indicate which aspect of the tile that particular bgl defines so HP****.bgl defines the LWM, HP standing for hydro poly. HL****.bgl defines the shoreline, HL standing for hydro line. Others contain airport afcads (AP****.bgl), railroads (RR****.bgl), vector watercourses- streams- (ST****.bgl) et c.

If the numerical part of the name is the same for two different bgl files, they control the same piece of the planet's surface.

Sadly, not all developers used MS's naming system so sometimes identifying the culprit is a bit hit & miss.

If you decide to experiment with disabling any files, the best way is to alter the .bgl suffix to something descriptive like HP****.disabled_april_19th. Be methodical and things shouldn't get messed up. There's a tool available called (I think) TCalc that will tell you which tile you are flying or slewing over, handy for an instant identification of the appropriate bgl, though I've had it so long I can't remember where it came from. Try the library here, or maybe someone else can fill in the gap.

Best regards,

D

As stated above, creating a water LWM polygon in SBuilder/SBuilderX should cover the strip of land.

A lot of great info there.  Thanks for your help guys.  I will consider SBuilder if I come across any more of them again.  I have a feeling I will as I plan to get FS Global 2010 in the near future and I'm sure it may cause some issues.

I still haven't flown that route again since, but I will snap a pic next time I fly it.  Thanks for the prt scr info as well.