Sign in to follow this  
Snuffleupagus

Do I have a memory leak or is this normal?

Hi guys,

I recently switched to FSX and added a lot of addons. I can fly my normal duration routes (2 hours tops) and not get OOM's. However, I did get close to one when flying SLC - SEA with Orbx, VATSIM, PMDG, ASE, REX, and FlyTampa. But here is where I'm concerned. I did my first long haul (EDDF-KLAX) with the PMDG MD-11. After reaching cruise, I minimized the window hoping that would take less memory and wear on the PC. When I re opened the window in the morning, everything was perfect. It wasn't until I got on a long final into FSDT KLAX that FSUIPC started dinging at me. And then, the dreaded OOM window popped up. I just clicked back onto the FS window and continued the flight although textures stopped loading. I was able to land with blurry textures but finished the flight nonetheless. 

Shouldn't I have been ok since FSX had been minimized the entire flight, therefor not using much memory? And PMDG MD-11 + FSDT KLAX isn't much of a demand on my computer normally. If this is going to be happening now with the PMDG MD-11, I can't imagine I'd be able to enjoy the 777 on long hauls.

My specs & Addons (for this flight)

Windows 7 64-bit

i5-2500k 4.5GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

GTX 560 1024

PMDG MD-11

ASE, REX

FSDT KLAX

GEX + UTX

Hopefully I can figure this out!

Thanks

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Just out of curosity I tried my current flight with FSX minimized to task bar. The working set memory just kept climbing eventually it would have OOM'd. The second I went back to full screen it stopped, in fact it drooped back to 1.7K after getting as high as 3.0K. Ive been using FSX for years and wasnt aware of that ordeal! may just be coincidental? Guess Ive never flown with it minimized to task bar!

As "working set" you mean CPU and Memory activity? Should have I just flown with FSX opened in it's normal windowed mode and probably been better off? FSX is all new to me, but I'm learning :)

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Hi guys,

I recently switched to FSX and added a lot of addons. I can fly my normal duration routes (2 hours tops) and not get OOM's. However, I did get close to one when flying SLC - SEA with Orbx, VATSIM, PMDG, ASE, REX, and FlyTampa. But here is where I'm concerned. I did my first long haul (EDDF-KLAX) with the PMDG MD-11. After reaching cruise, I minimized the window hoping that would take less memory and wear on the PC. When I re opened the window in the morning, everything was perfect. It wasn't until I got on a long final into FSDT KLAX that FSUIPC started dinging at me. And then, the dreaded OOM window popped up. I just clicked back onto the FS window and continued the flight although textures stopped loading. I was able to land with blurry textures but finished the flight nonetheless.

Shouldn't I have been ok since FSX had been minimized the entire flight, therefor not using much memory? And PMDG MD-11 + FSDT KLAX isn't much of a demand on my computer normally. If this is going to be happening now with the PMDG MD-11, I can't imagine I'd be able to enjoy the 777 on long hauls.

Windows 7 64-bit
i5-2500k 4.5GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 560 1024

PMDG MD-11
ASE, REX
FSDT KLAX
GEX + UTX

Thanks

All you can do about this:

1. Download and install this microsoft fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246
2. Disable all scenery, Addon airports and default scenery which is not required for current flight. For example, if you fly EDDF - KLAX, disable all other airports you have instaled, and disable continents - Asia, Australia etc, and leave only USA and Europe.
3. Create one new folder for fsx backup files, check your "modules" folder in fsx main folder, and move all DLL's which are not required for current flight to backup folder. If you fly PMDG MD11 - in "modules" you need only FSUIPC dll's and FSCopilot.dll if you use FSInn for VATSIM maybe. Or if you have some other addon DLL which will be used in flight, leave it there. But for example, if you use PMDG MD11 and you have LeonardoSH.dll(from Maddog)in modules, just move LeonardoSH.dll to backup folder before flight. And don't forget to move it back before you are going to use Leonardo Maddog again.

If you still get OOM's after this, i suggest you to check your instalations of Windows 7 and FSX, and to consider reinstaling and tuning using:

- Nick N. guide for Windows 7 installation and tuning and correct way to install FSX and all components(libraries, Simconnect etc)
- Word Not Allowed's FSX tuning guide from his blog

Both guides can be find easily, just google for them

- and than use all i wrotte above - microsoft fix, disabling scenery and DLL's
- Don't use McPhat Liveries, there is really highly contraindicated for long haul flights

That work's excelent for me, no OOM's on my flights, and i use PMDG MD11 for long haul too, and NGX and Maddog for short flights. Of course, i'm using tons of addons too - REX, AS2012, ORBX sceneries, FSDT, Aerosoft, UTX, AI traffic, etc.... i can't remember all :)

This is the best you can do, if you get OOM's after this(and i think that will not happen) - you should consider to move some of your sliders to the left or better GPU(like GTX580, GTX680)

Good luck and tell us if you try this things :)

P.S. use "process explorer" to check virtal memory usage http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

However, I did get close to one when flying SLC - SEA with Orbx, VATSIM, PMDG, ASE, REX, and FlyTampa

That's to be expected, since SEA has a HUGE potential for OOM's, because default Seattle has many custom scenery objects downtown.

And it's subject to many addons such as ORBX PMW.

There's no SINGLE addon causing OOMs, it's the COMBINATION of all of them and you settings which are probably too high, that cause OOMs. Fact that FSX will never use more than 4GB because it's a 32 bit application, is something we can't change.

The only solution i have found is to start going left on the LOD slider, one notch and all my OOM's went away.

Ian R Tyldesley

WotanUK, that's right, and well described in guides i recomend in above post. For me, LOD_RADIUS and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT should allways be at default values

WotanUK, that's right, and well described in guides i recomend in above post. For me, LOD_RADIUS and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT should allways be at default values

You can get away with maxing them out with the default install, but add some airports in there and the sublime NGX and you start having to compromise.  It bears a superficial resemblance to the exposure triangle. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi guys,

Windows 7 64-bit

i5-2500k 4.5GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

GTX 560 1024

PMDG MD-11

ASE, REX

FSDT KLAX

GEX + UTX

Thanks

If you pause in flight, and then use your web browser, and then go back to your paused flight, Crucial Memory has shown graphs that your memory use can spike up as high as 70 percent flooded usage. Resist using, or pausing your FSX session.  You can also pick up 12 GB of tri-channel DDR3-1600MHz memory for as little as $104.99 at this time.  RAM is historically low as I type this, as PC sales are in the dumpster. I have 12 GB's of RAM in my system and do not have O.O.M's.  I also do not (after reading the Crucial article on web browsers) go to the web, as I had once the 'M.O'. of doing to break up long flights in real time.   A couple of suggestions....

If you pause in flight, and then use your web browser, and then go back to your paused flight, Crucial Memory has shown graphs that your memory use can spike up as high as 70 percent flooded usage. Resist using, or pausing your FSX session.  You can also pick up 12 GB of tri-channel DDR3-1600MHz memory for as little as $104.99 at this time.  RAM is historically low as I type this, as PC sales are in the dumpster. I have 12 GB's of RAM in my system and do not have O.O.M's.  I also do not (after reading the Crucial article on web browsers) go to the web, as I had once the 'M.O'. of doing to break up long flights in real time.   A couple of suggestions....

Won't make any difference, FSX is 32-bit, it can address a maximum of 4Gb, you could have 128Gb in your PC, FSX will use around 3Gb with 1 for the GFX card (thereabouts) one byte over and bang! OOM!

More memory can also make overclocking harder.  

Ian R Tyldesley

Won't make any difference, FSX is 32-bit, it can address a maximum of 4Gb, you could have 128Gb in your PC, FSX will use around 3Gb with 1 for the GFX card (thereabouts) one byte over and bang! OOM!

More memory can also make overclocking harder.  

Now, is that true with a 32-bit game running in a 64-bit environment?  Still only a threshold of 4 GB?   BTW, I just came back to say that RAM module prices seem to be rising today ( I have blogs with warn flags).  My system can hold 12 gigs, and for the price of a tank of gas, I thought to grab the max potential while I can.  

Now, is that true with a 32-bit game running in a 64-bit environment?  Still only a threshold of 4 GB?   BTW, I just came back to say that RAM module prices seem to be rising today ( I have blogs with warn flags).  My system can hold 12 gigs, and for the price of a tank of gas, I thought to grab the max potential while I can.  

Unfortunately yes.

The application can only use 4Gb the O/S can use much more from 8Gb (basic edition) to 192Gb (ultimate).  The limit is imposed by M$, not limitations of 64-Bit

Ian R Tyldesley

Unfortunately yes.

The application can only use 4Gb the O/S can use much more from 8Gb (basic edition) to 192Gb (ultimate).  The limit is imposed by Microsoft, not limitations of 64-Bit

I see...thanks for the comeback.  I can add that I just found the post below regarding 32bit/64bit games: Thought to post if anybody is interrested.  For around a $100.00, I thought to just upgrade my memory, as I have just finished upgrading my hard drive, my graphics card, and now my memory. I plan to keep my present rig for the long term. I guess that as I delve into 64 bit high-intensity graphic games in the future, my 12 gigs will be waiting to welcome them, for what was rock-bottom prices for RAM at time of purchase. I'm running with W7 Ultimate, so I guess as you state, any 64-bit game I play will be able to 'be aware' of the full 12 gigs. Good deal!  I had like others on the long haul, had O.O.M's, but after reading about using web browsers in FSX sessions, and now not doing so, I am glad to report that I have not had another single O.O.M. incident when having run the saved and loaded flights (apples to apples...).  That must have been the main reason, and not as you say, having increased past 6 GB of system RAM, when I did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

64 bit Executables do only run on 64bit OS. For the games named here,(snip) that normally means it ships with two executables.

Using 64bit, the game can use 64bit instruction words which can save some loops the 32bit version may need to achieve the same accuracy in an equation. 

It also makes the game aware of address space above 4GB. 

Any 32-it exe ist normaly limited to 2GB. The LAA-flags pushes this limit to 3gb on 32bit OS(the os needs some space for itself) and 4GB on 64bit OS. Anything above needs 64bit executables.