Sign in to follow this  
Valar

Missions and scenarios in X-plane

Now, I have recently been playing a lot of Train Simulator 2013 instead of flightsims. Nice and comparatively uncomplicated. But in most ways, the gameplay is quite similar.

Except that in TS2013 there is gameplay and there is not in X-plane.

I think that the thing missing, or at least a very important thing, is scenarios/missions to structure your time spent in the sim.

As it is, way too often, I find myself flying around aimlessly, testing new airports, spending more time in the loading screen than in the sim and NOT getting that sense of accomplishment.

I think I heard someone had created a mission/scenario thing for X-plane once, but I'm not sure.

Train sim 2013 is amazing and more fun than any flightsim. We have to wait and see what 3pds will create for xp10.

Forgot to mention: Air Hauler missions are available for xp9

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Air Hauler missions are available for xp9

I've used Air-Hauler in X-Plane 10. Not certain if it's still working in this development stage though.

Now, I have recently been playing a lot of Train Simulator 2013 instead of flightsims. Nice and comparatively uncomplicated. But in most ways, the gameplay is quite similar.

Except that in TS2013 there is gameplay and there is not in X-plane.

I think that the thing missing, or at least a very important thing, is scenarios/missions to structure your time spent in the sim.

As it is, way too often, I find myself flying around aimlessly, testing new airports, spending more time in the loading screen than in the sim and NOT getting that sense of accomplishment.

I think I heard someone had created a mission/scenario thing for X-plane once, but I'm not sure.

That's what separate (flight) simulators from other games - the true "sandbox". For missions, there are TakeOn Helikopters, HAWX...

Same like BF vs ARMA, rFactor and LFS vs NFS and so on.

Go play fsx want missions. Like sandbox feel of it try the demo out. X-plane sandbox always has been its freedon to fly and roam. Xplane is not linear based games like racing and first person shooter games.

I think missions can be a really valuable addition to any sim. I really liked some of them in FSX.

After all, a "flight school" could be considered to be a series of missions.

Or, a mission might be to pick up and deliver a series of passengers or cargo while working around weather, or within time constraints, or whatever.

"Sandbox", even in its most open forms, still has rules. The ability to perform missions doesn't mean it isn't a sim.

That's what separate (flight) simulators from other games - the true "sandbox".

Go play fsx want missions.

I was wondering if we would see this post, and the X-Plane community didn't disappoint - we got two!

You can play sandbox style in FSX... or MS Flight... or even the aforementioned Train Sim 2013 if you choose. Each one has the ability to roam in their area of play - be it globally, in Hawaii/Alaska, or on the rails in the region you choose... without any mission encumbrances, goals, or limits. Adding missions/goals to even the most "pure" of flight simulators, be it native to the game or via a 3rd party, enhances the experience for a great many virtual pilots...

Valar, X-Plane won't serve up missions on a platter to you because it doesn't come from that "entertainment" lineage that MSFS does - but that doesn't mean that there isn't value in seeking missions out or flying "for a purpose". FSEconomy and virtual airlines can provide a degree of goal-setting and flying for a purpose. There's the Mission X plugin Carrotroot mentions. A little imagination can sometimes help too... set off on an around-the-world flight... in the aircraft of your choosing. Small, big? Up to you!

X-Plane is a bit of a blank slate at your disposal - but I completely understand how you or anyone else would want a little "inspiration" to take that next flight.

I was wondering if we would see this post, and the X-Plane community didn't disappoint - we got two!

Take it easy, I'm not part of X-P community at all. But, in FSX i never tried missions, my mission is to simply move aircraft from point A to point B following rl rules. I do not need some scripted events to tell me what to do.

Only mission pack that should be available is some sort of flight school. 

Take it easy, I'm not part of X-P community at all. But, in FSX i never tried missions, my mission is to simply move aircraft from point A to point B following rl rules. I do not need some scripted events to tell me what to do.

Fair enough - but many people like to challenge of moving from Point A to Point B using real life rules, but with a backstory. I suspect that the majority of sim pilots enjoy some sort of role playing aspect of their simming... this lends to the popularity of all those mission style addons and virtual airlines!

Granted, some of the basic missions you find in FSX are a bit fantastic (*like chasing down the aliens), but others are more grounded in realistic scenarios. When you look at 3rd party mission-style addons (*things like FSEconomy, FSPassengers, FSCargo, and anything similar in X-Plane) you get even more backstory to help you role play the part of a pilot, often times encouraging even more real-world procedural process. Personally, I consider using VATSIM as a sort of "mission" addon, as it gives you something else to do and standards to uphold as you fly.

I shouldn't have lumped either of you into the X-Plane fanatic crowd, but it struck me that it might be the case based on first impressions. Ultimately, the "sandbox" nature of a simulation is what gives it the flexibility to cater to so many different interests. From flying strictly by-the-book, or playing the role of an airline captain building hours, it's all good, and thankfully one method doesn't trump the other from a functionality standpoint.

X-Plane should develop some sort of internal missioning capability (*or let the 3rd parties fight it out if they ever start ), as that would open even more doors to MSFS converts to like having a bit more "reason" to fly.

Missions IMHO were one of the most misunderstood underused and powerful feature of FSX. I had visions of training scenerios such as in every issue of flying magazine where a pilot is thrown into an unexpected emergency situation. I did one free mission which was an instructional tour flight in a twin flying over a beautiful spot of the US with rw operations and an unexpected emergency thrown in at the end. Someone was working on instructional flights-lessons on flying particular aircraft properly. I don't know what happened to them.

Perhaps the reason they never reached their potential is "sandbox" flying is more popular. Missions however have/had the power to make any sim into a very useful rw training device. At least you don't have to pay a second person to throw unexpected situations at you, which largely surviving rw flying is about.

Thanks for the good replies. I'm looking at fseconomy which I wasn't aware existed.

I disagree that pure sandbox equals serious sim. Missions don't have to be all fun and games (god forbid) - they are useful for many other things, like Geofa said above.

Maybe for diehard engineer types (like Austin himself, I suspect) flying from A to B sandbox-style is just fine. On the other hand, if that was truly the case, I think they should get to work on the ATC stuff, the landmarks that would allow for real VFR flying, seasons, weather effects and certain other things that you need to properly simulate flight. Long discussion...

That being said, thanks for the help :-)

"...I had visions of training scenerios such as in every issue of flying magazine where a pilot is thrown into an unexpected emergency situation. I did one free mission which was an instructional tour flight in a twin flying over a beautiful spot of the US with rw operations and an unexpected emergency thrown in at the end. Someone was working on instructional flights-lessons on flying particular aircraft properly. I don't know what happened to them."

Well, for what it's worth, AOPA is partnering with Redbird to grow some roots - 

'The killer app, or in this case “apps,” are scenarios. AOPA, Flying and others are contributing flight scenarios based on articles in the magazines that Jay users can download directly to the sim.'

That would be Prepar3d, I believe.

"Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/news/redbird-aopa-officially-launch-jay-simulator#c4wEffD5pscUHjGs.99"

Andrew