Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

No Love For Default Aircraft?

As a NOOB to both this excellent forum and to FSX, I'd like the opinions from the experienced users here on the FSX default aircraft. I'm using FSX Gold with Acceleration pack. I've been reading posts on 'Favorite Aircraft', 'Best Aircraft' etc in an effort to determine the 'must have' planes in my arsenal.

In all the posts I've read, I don't recall a single mention of any of the FSX default aircraft. I've tried most of them and they generally seem okay to a novice. Decent looks, generally fairly complete instrument and switch function, 'reasonable' (??) flight characteristics...

Are they all in fact pretty poor? Are any worthy of attention? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks! Brian

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

The Mooney isn't bad, when i first started i spent many a happy hour flying that around the world, using FSPassengers to keep track.

It's a fast, fairly long range aircraft and doesn't have any annoying characteristics.

Ian R Tyldesley

I flew with default A320 until I found PA A320 v3, which is a bit more detailed. I rarely fly with any complex payware and quality airplane I bought simply because I care for FPS a lot. With NGX I can barely stand stuttering and 25-30fps in the air, unacceptable for me. I even bought Airbus X Extended, and believe it or not I didn't flew with it one single full flight. FPS is better in AXE, but stuttering all the time. I don't need FMS and stuff to enjoy liners. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I have been using the default King Air 350 with Friendly Panels. I can not attest to it's flight characteristics compared to an actual aircraft but I have used it and a couple other planes. You can see my current statistics which follow:

Flights,1944
Planes used,6
Airports used,597
Take Off,1872
Landing,2736
Hours,1834.5
Night,704.9
IFR,257.7
Multi,1832.6
Avg Flight Time,0.94 hours (56 min)

I have also used a few other aircraft but very little:

Plane,Hours
BEECH B350,1830.5
BEECH BE58,0.6
BOEING F18,0.5
Grumman G21,0.3
Hercules C130,0.7
RAYTHEON T6,1.9

I did add some scenery options, etc. to make my flights a little more interesting. I like the King Air due to it's versatility with long and short runways, multi-engines, as well as a decent speed. With the Friendly Panels add-on (which is not 100% compatable with DX10) I get a fairly sophisticated set of steam gauges and a nice FMC (flight management computer), which makes my IFR flying a little more accurate.

My personal preference is an aircraft to fly low, to a wide variety of airports, and be able to "hold my own" at large airports against the passenger jets. I have also added traffic, MyTrafficX, and scenery UTX-USA to give me a little additional level of reality.

It's only been about 8 months for me but I have thoroughly enjoyed by simming so far and the AVSIM Staff and Members have been extremely helpful to me as I inched my way forward with various skills.

Have FUN!!!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

The default Cessna C172 and Cessna Caravan are excellent planes.

• Upvote 1

I like to fly, from time to time,

- the Goose (amphibians, after all, are pretty rare!)

- the Maule ('cause I wouldn't bother much with buying a turboprop as an addon)

- and the DC3 (same as with Maule; change 'turboprop' to 'taildragger')

Are you new to FSX or new to MSFS at all?

Some of those old, inexpensive FS9 addon planes can easily be copied'n'pasted into FSX to perform just/nearly the same ...

Default Cessna, cub, DC-3 my favorites actually good basic planes to start with. Overtime the more hours racked up flying the more planes you buy from carenado and real air for low and slow flying. Some buy tubes with complete cockpit features. Perfer ga get a lot more selection of airports to land at.

I have some payware aircraft but haven't given up on default planes. I think they're just OK out of the box but you can improve them with upgraded sound packs, AccuFeel and addon gauges. Sometimes improved FDE's are available too (eg the RealAir c172). I use the CRJ7 with an addon sound pack, checklists and gauge fixes from the AVSIM library, and FSCaptain and it's quite good. I also like the Cub and the C172.

Once the RealAir C172 and DA CRJ are out though, I probably won't be flying the default versions.

Barry Friedman

Are you new to FSX or new to MSFS at all?

I dabbled with MSFS in the early days (like two decades ago) so I really consider myself a complete FS novice. My youngest daughter rekindled an interest i had as a teenager in R/C aircraft, which led me to Phoneix R/C simulator which led me to FSX. Always wanted to fly. Now that I'm basically retired, I finally have the time! :lol:

Thanks all for your replies so far - please keep them coming.

Also, I've downloaded and been thoroughly enjoying all of Dino Cattaneo's freeware releases. But again, they don't seem to get a mention as a favorite (although in some circles, people speak highly of his T-45C Goshawk - which I been thoroughly enjoying)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Nothing beats the default Cessna 172 in its class. It has it all - nice textures, nice systems, quite OK flight model, couple of liveries, NDB / VOR / autopilot for navigation. It is a dream. For education or for VFR fun under an hour or two.

I have some payware aircraft but haven't given up on default planes. I think they're just OK out of the box but you can improve them with upgraded sound packs, AccuFeel and addon gauges. Sometimes improved FDE's are available too (eg the RealAir c172). I use the CRJ7 with an addon sound pack, checklists and gauge fixes from the AVSIM library, and FSCaptain and it's quite good. I also like the Cub and the C172.

Once the RealAir C172 and DA CRJ are out though, I probably won't be flying the default versions.

I've started to dabble in this area a bit - I upgraded the HUD and glass on the Acceleration F-18A for practicing carrier landings on the USS Nimitz. Other than that, I've only been adding liveries. I'll investigate some of these others that you've mentioned.

As mentioned, default C172, Caravan and DC3 are all solid performers - and can benefit from (free) add-on fdx and skins. You can (and probably will) spend a small fortune on this 'hobby'', so doing some research and working out what your priorities are re: scenery, environment (especially weather), hardware (TrackIR), traffic, ATC, and of course payware aircraft, helps. Bear in mind that sales at the various online vendors (and major developer sites) come around fairly regularly, so if you're not desperate, you can accumulate the goodies you want at 10-50% off over time.

Enjoy.

Just done a new FSX install and to test the new install, as usual  defualt aircraft is best for this role. 

Choice is the defualt mooney bravo, for the looks, its excellent on frames, and that goes for all the FSX default aircraft, with them you can turn sliders up a bit higher to enjoy good scenery if you got it.

Like i said before, there is a strong case for less complex, but FPS friendly addon. And currently defualt FSX aircraft are at the top of this league. Pure no hassle flying with descent cockpit view and smooth FPS.

I enjoy the Cessna 172 ( different air file), the Airbus 320 (with many new liveries, new sound and new panel), the 737 (new panel and sounds), and the 747 (new panel and sounds). 

WAY better than the Default aircraft in past editions of Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Stan

Every default ac has a much better freeware or payware alternative. For a new simmer, sure the default are fine, but some of us have been flight simming and/or real flying for a decade or more.