Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

OPUS Windshear

Hi, I was just reading that OPUS released v 3.0 of their weather software, which features 3 levels of windshear.

The question is: will the OPUS windshear be detected by the NGX and the related warning activate?

Thanks.

James Goggi

unfortunatly  the weather radar performs this function/ warning in the real world, and as the NGX has no weather radar this will be highly unlikely.

Although thanks for the heads up on Opus Ver 3 - im downloading now :good:

I am not talking of the predictive windshear, that is a function of the wxr radar. I am talking of the conventional windshear detection: the NGX has the "WINDSHEAR" warning during the gpws test, is it only in the test?

James Goggi

unfortunatly  the weather radar performs this function/ warning in the real world, and as the NGX has no weather radar this will be highly unlikely.

Although thanks for the heads up on Opus Ver 3 - im downloading now :good:

Chris, Avsim have provided a place for all that computer and simulator information in your profile, so it shouldn't be in your sig any more, taking up a lot of screen space every post.  If you put it in your profile the My PC and My Simulator links appear under your avatar for people to view the data.  Much cleaner and much more forum friendly. 

As James said, reactive windshear warning doesn't use weather radar, it uses GPWS, EGPWS or in some older aircraft a dedicated Windshear Warning System computer.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I asked in the Opus forum if anyone experimented the windshear with the NGX and one answer was:

"Don't know for the 737 NGX, with the iFly 737 it works just fine."

Won't that mean that the reactive windshear is modelled on the iFly and not on the NGX?...

James Goggi

I am sorry - i have removed my signature. good luck finding your answer OP.

Ok, seeing that no one replies, I assume that in the NGX there is no windshear of any kind, only the eyecandy of the WINDSHEAR warning during the test... One point in favour of the competitor 737 (that models the windshear) and a bit of disappointment...

James Goggi

I would have been more than happy to run a test with a historical Metar loaded into Opus with the NGX, but considering there are far more knowlegable folks on here than i - maybe they can shed some light on the situation.?

I am very reluctant to post anything here anymore though considering the uprising of the forum police - i will investigate and pm you if i find anything of note.

Ryan has stated that windshear is not modeled on the NGX, because the FSX weather simulation isn't detailed enough to handle windshear correctly.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Ryan has stated that windshear is not modeled on the NGX, because the FSX weather simulation isn't detailed enough to handle windshear correctly.

If I remember correctly, he was talking about the PREDICTIVE windshear. What about the reactive windshear? Why is it modelled and it works well on aircraft such as the 737 iFly or the Maddog Leonardo?

James Goggi

If I remember correctly, he was talking about the PREDICTIVE windshear.

Hello James,

Why don't you PM him and ask him and report it back here!!

Robert