Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 - How to get it started.

I got a prompt response from Support.

Too bad, the FSUIPC numbers put out of FSX is not right for this aircraft. Not sure if Pete can take the numbers of Q400 and put it out via FSUIPC. 

I may have to return this aircraft since I use FSUIPC a  lot. and use it for my hardware. The bank pitch, Turn and ball positions put out by FSUIPC (only for this aircraft) is not correct.

Hmmmm.... 

I checked SAITK Panel attitude as well.. Same issue. So people owning SAITEK PAnel would not be able to use this aircraft either.

"

You have to remember, our Q400 is not an FSX aircraft. It is using the
FSX as a scenery generator.

It might not work with external instruments. However the pitch and bank is
correct, otherwise you wouldn't see the external model in the correct
orientation.

I guess your gauges are taking the FSX gyro pitch and bank, which are
probably incorrect.

Sorry, I might not be able to help you. If you can select which parameters
control your instruments, it should be FSX default PITCH and BANK

"

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Did you turn on the APU? The ground power doesn't generate enough power to start the engines, therefor you need to start the APU in order to start the engines. 

As tumtiddle has said above...

it started fine for me a couple times now without touching the APU....just from the default loaded state with external power on. i havent plowed into the manual yet, just following the steps in the 'quick start', so maybe i missed something there and got lucky. do turbo props even need bleed air to start? i figured it was just an electric starter or something. anyway i'll dig into the manual later after another flight .

cheers,

-andy crosby

How exactly am I supposed to follow a video that doesn't show the mouse cursor to let us know what you are doing, and provides no voiceover guidance either? I pretty much have to stare at the screen and hope I find the switch that's quickly being pushed before the camera moves somewhere else.

It's not a tutorial video...You need some manuals and checklists to read before....

Then why did you post the video in a topic about tutorials not being good enough?

But how can I see if APU is on or off. And where (how) do I switch it on or off.

There is an APU panel on the overhead labeled "APU Control" with four black switches. You can see whether the APU is running or not by determining whether the first black switch the (the "PWR" switch) says "Run" in green letters on it or not.

To switch on the APU, first press the PWR button. Then press the BL AIR button, which stands for bleed air. After this, you start the APU by pressing the black START button (second button.) Once started, turn on the APU GEN (third button) and you will be set to go. If there is a red WARN light illuminated on the APU GEN button, then this means that you are probably connected to the external power. The external power switch is located directly below DC CONTROL in the upper left corner of the overhead panel.

Push the power button first- let it run through its self-test (lights cycle). Then push and hold the starter. It is very quiet, so you probably won't hear it. In the real aircraft, you'd notice in an empty plane with the doors open. 

At a certain RPM, the starter light will go out. About 30 seconds later you'll see the GEN WARN light on, and the RUN light on the power switch. That's how you know it's running. You can connect the GEN now to power the aircraft- but only if there is no external power on. 

I'm gonna see if Oleksiy will upload my tutorial- it goes through all the systems tests and takes you really into depth about what this aircraft is capable of simulating.

Start APU, turn on bleed air.

Select starter and ignition, press starter. When the turbine reaches max motoring speed (just less than 20%) move condition lever from cutoff to start/feather. Repeat for second engine.

When both started, move condition levers all the way forward. Make sure bleed air/gens on both engines. APU off, move throttles to "rating" when on runway: happy flying.

You can actually just move the condition lever to start feather as soon as you see an Nh indication. This airplane has FADEC and doesn't need the "max motoring" that most conventional turboprops need.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Push the power button first- let it run through its self-test (lights cycle). Then push and hold the starter. It is very quiet, so you probably won't hear it. In the real aircraft, you'd notice in an empty plane with the doors open.

At a certain RPM, the starter light will go out. About 30 seconds later you'll see the GEN WARN light on, and the RUN light on the power switch. That's how you know it's running. You can connect the GEN now to power the aircraft- but only if there is no external power on.

I'm gonna see if Oleksiy will upload my tutorial- it goes through all the systems tests and takes you really into depth about what this aircraft is capable of simulating.

Start APU, turn on bleed air.

Select starter and ignition, press starter. When the turbine reaches max motoring speed (just less than 20%) move condition lever from cutoff to start/feather. Repeat for second engine.

When both started, move condition levers all the way forward. Make sure bleed air/gens on both engines. APU off, move throttles to "rating" when on runway: happy flying.

You can actually just move the condition lever to start feather as soon as you see an Nh indication. This airplane has FADEC and doesn't need the "max motoring" that most conventional turboprops need.

Would love to see a few tutorials uploaded to the Avsim library, just like we see for many other aeroplanes. Thanks for taking the time to do one.

Would love to see a few tutorials uploaded to the Avsim library, just like we see for many other aeroplanes. Thanks for taking the time to do one.

No problem. I want people to enjoy flying this on their sim as I did the last 5 years in real life. 

The tutorial was just about finished when I left for a trip, with just some spelling/graphic placement issues needed fixing. When I come back (tonight, red-eye) I'll be giving it my full attention over the next few days.

That's great news thanks

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Mine is in the hanger until I can read detailed tutorials. I am just totally confused by the FMC. Programming one doesn't cross fill to the other. Sometimes the plan just disappears from the nd, I still don't get how to fill out all the weight and balance data. I figured out how to start the engines and take off no problem, just coming from a Boeing FMC I have no idea what I'm doing!

No problem. I want people to enjoy flying this on their sim as I did the last 5 years in real life. 

The tutorial was just about finished when I left for a trip, with just some spelling/graphic placement issues needed fixing. When I come back (tonight, red-eye) I'll be giving it my full attention over the next few days.

We need a tutorial written by a real Pilot ASAP! This bird without proper documention is not even half as fun! Please let us have it soon, I have no idea how to program that FMC =p

Alexis Mefano

I'd be interested in a more detailed FMS tutorial and how the auto flight system interacts with the FMS. I have somehow managed to get LNAV hooked up but VNAV is escaping me so far - still having fun though :)

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'd be interested in a more detailed FMS tutorial and how the auto flight system interacts with the FMS. I have somehow managed to get LNAV hooked up but VNAV is escaping me so far - still having fun though :)

VNAV is different from boeing aircrafts in that it's used to manage descents only. In the FPL, you can enter target altitudes to be level by (and in our nav database there are also hard coded targets from STARs/SIDs).

The VNAV page will allow you to descend 10 miles prior to a fix, at the fix, and at a specified rate of descent.

However- you can't engage VNAV until 2 minutes prior to top-of-descent. This is a real-aircraft peculiarity which I never was fond of. Once you reach 2 minutes to TOD, you may arm the VNAV, and you'll see the magenta slope appear. 

Hopefully, that makes things a little clearer.