Sign in to follow this  
wizzards

P3d article

That dreaded LM EULA popped up again! Hahaha Never in my life have I seen a bunch of people get their Depends all bunched up over something that has been debated ad nauseum. LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Indeed and so it goes on ! 

I bought it, left it and bought it again - I've got all bases covered!  :)

Tried it initially and didn't really give it a shot - didn't like it and cancelled my subscription. Decided to try again only this time, I tool the time to do a proper install and also installed a few add-ons. I have two systems, one running FSX and one P3D - I now fly P3D far more than FSX. IMHO, it flies better and looks better. Mainly I am looking forward to what they have in the pipeline as far as enhancements. I really get the impression that they see this as a big deal in their commercial training area - and THAT equates to a better product for us. As was said earlier, not everything they develop for P3D will be available to the general community but we WILL reap some good benefits.

Don't have the link handy, but Redbird just released a low end simulator based entirely on P3D - around $2,500 USD. Considering what I've spent on FSX since it's release - that almost soojnds like a bargain!  :)

Point is - we ( the 'regular' flight sim community) really cannot lose here.

And if you are anal about 'entertainment' - then DO NOT be entertained - just fly. Simple solution.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi can any body tell me what benefit  the inclusion of DX11 would make in P3d from a novices point of view  ,I really cannot see P3d wiping out all the add on,s already available for use with P3d ,so it must be able to be backwards compatible with existing ad dons ,and also how much extra work for developers to produce DX11 add on,s ,would they also work with FSX , is it poss for example for the Airbus x extended to be easily  updated ,or is it a complete rewrite  ,would the developers need to produce two diff versions FSX /P3d ?

hope you can follow my drift

peter

All you existing add on will work with P3D (just a guess here...  :O) ) but you will not see the benefit of it unless you get a patch from your 3PD, if they do make a patch they may charge for it, if they do not make a patch for your favorite existing add on you will have to buy new one DX11 compatible.

FSX is not DX11, it is DX9 and DX10 preview, if you try to use a DX11 add on with FSX you will not see the benefit of it, it's like using a DX11 game with a DX10 GPU, the game will work in DX10 or DX9 but to see the beauty of a DX11 game you will have to have a DX11 GPU.

According to Microsoft, migrating from Directx9 to DirectX11 has the following "key challenges"  

• Removal of all fixed function pipeline usage in favor of programmable shaders authored exclusively in HLSL (compiled via D3DCompiler instead of D3DX9).

• State management based on immutable objects rather than individual state toggles.

• Updating to comply with strict linkage requirements of vertex buffer input layouts and shader signatures.

• Associating shader resource views with all texture resources.

• Mapping all image content to a DXGI_FORMAT, including the removal of all 16-bit color formats (5/5/5/1, 5/6/5, 4/4/4/4), removal of all 24-bit color formats (8/8/8), and strict RGB color ordering.

• Breaking up global constant state usage into several small, more efficiently updated constant buffers.

Those who know more about this than I do may be able to comment on the implications on backward compatibility.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ff476190(v=vs.85).aspx#direct3d_9_to_direct3d_11