Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InfantryNeverDie

Budget friendly triple screen simpit

Hello everyone,

I have used Avsim for years and even donated some money a couple years back when Avsim was in trouble but rarely posted and I figure it's time I add a little to the forums. Anyhow For some years I have used the "good ole simdesk setup" but as my old desk was starting to lean under the weight of addons and with a new computer upgrade i decided to step it up a notch. I knew from previous research that true airliner simpits could cost $10-$15k and up to complete but i wanted something better than a desk. Using roger dodgers plans this is what we ended up going from and where we are now!

And the new setup (three 24" monitors coming soon!!)

Being built :

So far i absolutly love the setup but I do have questions. As i am getting ready to move into the world of triple screens how will my fps be affected on a high end pc. Also should i use a triplehead2go or save the $300 an buy a gtx 680 video card which i have been told supports triple screen setups. Pros/cons?

Thanks for answers and i welcome any questions!

Also the simdesk has a "nosecone" than holds the main pc and wiring goes to. More detailed photos:

Anyhow when yall get a chance any and all answers/opinions to my first questions much appreciated!

I see you have a co-pilot in the bottom right of that first pic, where is his seat in the new setup?

I have a Tri Monitor setup but keep the VC/Cockpit view on the main display and un-dock windows to the other 2 monitors. I have a GTX670 and its works pretty well. I have not used a triple-head but if you are looking to span the entire display over 3 monitors I think your best bet is to go with the 680. 

One word of advice is to get identical monitors. I know it bothered me that one of my three was not quite right in the visuals. I had a TH2g0, but once NVsurround matured I switched and sold the TH2Go as NVSurround gave me slightly better performance. You never mentioned what Video Card you are running now. If you're running a Sli-capable Nvidia card now and want to save some bucks I would just get a match off Ebay. 

What i did with mine, i do not have a proper sim pit yet, but i kept an eye on kijiji(canadian version of ebay classifieds) for more monitors, i now have my 2 570s in sli hooked up to 3 24 inch monitors at a total combined res of 5990x1200, i run at a steady 60 fps and no stutters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2 typos afe imminent.

So as i can tell by yalls posts my graphics card may have to be upgraded. Currently i am running a intel i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3ghz, 8 GB ddr3, 150gb veliciraptor hdd plus an extra for add-ons, and a 1 GB nvidia GTX 550ti. So i may want to upgrade my graphics card first, what do you guys think about SLI on two 550ti's? Anyways i also planned on buying three identical monitors as i figured different refresh rates and color displaying abilities could cause a headache later. Thanks for the tips and ill post updates when i have the new monitors. So just to clarify with a good enough nvidia GTX video card (such as 670,680) i won't need a triple head to go box to use three monitors i can just install Nvidia's NVsurround software and thats it? You mentioned even better frame rates? Thats $300 less i spend on a adapter box and $300 more i can spend on a quality gpu. Thanks y'all!

lol about my copilot, he gets a doggy bone for every successful landing! Discounted rates from ATL to DC, anyone interested? Haha

Your 550ti is selling for about 60 bucks on Ebay, if your motherboard supports it and you have the PS to run it, that would be a cheap way to run a threeway setup. Seems like you're working on not needing the VC, once you do that FPS is more or less a non issue.

Here is a quick test of my set up:

youtube.com/watch?v=xdagwPvxbYw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hey kevin thanks a ton for the video! Looks nice and smooth, i also have a trackir5, you should look into one, awesome for looking around the cockpit. What are your pc specs, specifically video card setup with NVsurround? Thanks!

I have track ir, just not setup yet, i just moved my setup 1200km and being away for 21 days at works kinda kills my time, yes it is nice, but fsx it the only game in surround that doesnt give me a masive headache

Hey if only we had more time to fly right? lol i had some home remodeling projects that combined with work and family seriously kept me away from fsx between 2011-2012. Anyhow if you get a chance i would love to know your systems specs and video card setup.

I am running an i7 3770k oc to 4.9ghz using an h100 cooler

8gb of corsair vengance

About 12 tb of total hdd

And dual 570s while i search for another 580

And i have my fsx tweaked quite abit using the avsim tweak guide

Sounds like a nice rig kevin! Thanks for the information. So your running two 570's in sli and you would trade those for a single 580? Will it be that much of a difference? Sounds like alot of trouble for one series up? I'm running the i5 3570k oc to 4.3 and as stated earlier i'll definitly be upgrading my video card for triple monitors.

Just an update to my simpit i finally after years of simming broke down and used a keyboard layout so i can finally have easy access to the multitude of controls. As yall can see i havnt purchased two of the saitek panels i want yet so im using stickers lol.

No, i have another 580 lying around that i picked up used for pretty cheap, i am looking for another to sli them as well, but i might wait and get the 780,as i upgrade every 2 generations