Sign in to follow this  
pittsartist

Sim / Real Life film project

Hi,

My first post here (and I'm no expert on flight sim's) so please excuse any naivety.

I own and operate a (real) Pitts special S1-S based in the UK, flying mainly for fun and the odd aerobatic competition.

In the last few years I have also developed an interest in making flying films, mainly shot with gopro's (I have 4 on the aircraft with 6 available positions and one inflight tilt / pan mount). I generally film and edit these myself and show them on my vimeo account (called WIGY TV). This is all done for fun, mainly because I just enjoy doing it and re living the flying experience.

I've recently been thinking about making a short film (about 4 to 7 minutes) in which a flight sim Pitts turns into a real one. I bought MS FSX and the Addictive simulations Pitts sim aircraft. The idea was to use the paintkit to make a "Sim" (not sure if thats the right term) of my own Pitts and then get the correct (UK) scenery to match it.

Roughly speaking the plan was then to take some "real" flying footage and try to make the sim look as much as possible like it so that the clips can be interwoven in the finished film.

What I'm fast discovering is that is a very steep learning curve (especially on top of flying,filming and editing the stuff I make .... not to mention looking after an aircraft !)

Is anyone out there exited enough about this as an idea to 1) make a paintkit for my aircraft 2) "fly" the sim to match one or two of my video clips and 3) record the result for splicing into a film ?

If not, I'd appreciate any advice on how realistic a project this is and, if feasible, how best to approach it

Here's links to a couple of my recent films to give an idea of what I'm talking about

vimeo.com/53429216

vimeo.com/62239948

Hope you like them !