Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

New Water Simulation for FSX?

I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention this new "mind-blowing" water simulation - http://www.techspot.com/news/52326-watch-this-mind-blowing-water-simulation-is-now-a-reality.html.  It would be nice if it could be somehow incorporated into FSX (maybe within DX10 Preview)?  Anyway, pretty neat stuff to be able to see huge waves crashing down on the shorelines and probably making it nearly impossible to land an aircraft that normally lands in calm water on a lake depending on the weather.  Pretty neat technology!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

i dont think fsx using Nvidia'sPhysX

otherwise cpu usage must be more lower... it could be great for overall performance

No way this could ever be put into FSX, but it's something I look forward to possibly seeing in future games once the research trickles down into actual use

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

That is amazing!

It's worth bearing in mind that air behaves like a liquid, just imagine the FSX of the future. Now where do I buy a cryogenic storage facility?

Maybe, I can find one on eBay :)

Either way, its very impressive.
Running on a GTX580.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

It's the kind of technology that perhaps we'll see incorporated in FS2020!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

if this is iplemented to our old fsx, fsx will die due to hearth attack

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Yes, impressive technology. But as other have said, it's absolutely impossible to use such thing in FSX or even in XPL and other simulators. And let me tell you one more thing.

Just because it looks awesome doesn't mean it could be used in every situation. Dynamic fluid simulations like this are good for smaller amounts of liquid. In games, I can imagine room flooding, splashing water from cracked pipe and so on... There's no way this is going to be used in realtime simulations of large water bodies. Not this year, not 2015, not maybe 2020. Can you imagine the processing power you would have need to simulate water for the whole planet? We're not talking about GTX680 in SLI, we're talking about supercomputers probably hundreds times more powerful than what we have now. Maybe it could be resolved by some local simulation only when player is near, I don't know, I'm not an expert, but now, texture displacement is way to go. "Efficiency is doing things right, while Effectiveness is doing the right things" :wink: TL;DR

All I want to say is, FSX nope, but never underestimate the ingenuity of man, specially when theirs profit or gain to be made.

actualy physx is old.. its not a new technology it comes with Cuda-enabled GPU's from nvidia and that was after 2008 if im not wrong... soo 5 year old alrdy.. wich is a big time for pc's  ofc they cant make whole ocean with this but its easy to add this on shoreline waves... like  fsx does in 2D animation :) and physx  not really needing more and more computing power cause gpu is doing that so you dont need any more cpu req. for doing things like this and your cpu becomes more free to do other things... and ofc theres another water options for whole oceans like silent hunter series... but well ppl who fly at very high they will still become 2D maybe that was the idea of fsx devlopers. but for float-planes it could be good :)