Sign in to follow this  
b6ifc81

Corrupt texture file?

Hello everyone,

I recently installed the American Eagle (Skywest) repaint for the AI Malcontent CRJ-200 by Gideon Williams.  It's an excellent repaint, but I'm 99% sure that it's the reason my sim keeps crashing every time I start in a city where it happens to be.  Is there a way to fix this?  Unfortunately, there aren't any other repaints of this plane available.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

George

If no-one comes up with something better, you could try the pinned topic "A huge FPS increase" at the top of this forum.

It might sort out a bad texture.

Colin B

Do you have DXTBmp on your PC?

If not you can get it here- http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/index.htm

AI_Malcontent_Bombardier_CRJ200.bmp is the bad file.

Open it with DXTBmp and save it as an extended bitmap 888-8 and it should be fixed.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Do you have DXTBmp on your PC?

If not you can get it here- http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/index.htm

AI_Malcontent_Bombardier_CRJ200.bmp is the bad file.

Open it with DXTBmp and save it as an extended bitmap 888-8 and it should be fixed.

regards,

Joe

Hiya Joe,

I do have DXTbmp, and tried your suggestion.  Indeed, it fixed the corruption, so no crashing (yay!).  However, a new problem has emerged, and I suspect it has to do with the alpha channel.  The airplane in question is now extremely shiny...would I use the same program to alter the alpha?  Or would "include mipmaps" when saving help?  Thanks again for your help!

*edit: I played around with it some more, and by saving the file as DXT3, I was able to avoid computer crashing as well as the 'mirror effect' (which I was think was limited to the 888-8 texture).  Thanks again guys!

George

For future reference, if you "invert Alpha" you will fix this.

Sounds like you did the same thing by converting to DXT3.

DXT3 compression will increase performance due to reduced file size, yet cost you some texture quality. For AI this is not an issue, for me. YMMV.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif