Sign in to follow this  
bjablonka8120

Moving FSX to other drive

I have FSX installed on a regular drive and am thinking about getting a 500gb Solid State Drive on which I just want the operating system and FSX. As I have numerous add-ons on FSX I really don't want to reinstall everuthing again on the SSD. Does anyone know a way to transfer FSX with all its add-ons to the new drive in one step? I would appreciate any ideas you might have. BTW, I have Norton Ghost if that helps.

Thanks

Bernd Jablonka

Hi Bernd, I don't understand... Do you want to copy OS and FSX to your new SSD, or just only FSX.?

For the first option, you can do it with a cloner, like Northon Ghost.

I had a similar problem, had fsx on normal hdd (my second drive) and want to copy to my new ssd (third drive). Here I simply copied and transfered files from hdd to ssd.

But you problem is different, so you have to clone your hdd to ssd.

But why don't you install fsx only onto ssd and leave OS on hdd?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Hi Riccardo, I already have the OS on the SSD, I like it there because it takes me just about 10 seconds to boot. I like to copy all of FSX to the SSD without having to install FSX and all the add-ons again.

Bernd

I have a dual SSD setup with FSX on my second drive, but it looks like it is located on my C drive.  This is accomplished using Symlinks (or Junctions in the windows world).  I believe this only works in Vista and above.

* Move all of your FSX files to the "new" location (in my case F:\apps\Microsoft Flight Simulator X)

* If there is still an FSX folder on your source location, make sure it's empty then delete it

* Open up a command prompt as administrator

* Create the symlink with the junction syntax (mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" "F:\apps\Microsoft Flight Simulator X")

* If done correctly, you should have an FSX folder at your source location that, when opened, has the contents of the FSX folder in the target location.  For all intents and purposes the OS, game, addons, and everything else will think the program is still installed on the source location.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-symlinks-in-windows-vista/

Edit-

I should note that if you don't plan on keeping the source drive, this won't work, as it relies on the system thinking things are sitting where they used to sit.

Symlink is the way to go.  I prefer a little GUI util, junctionlink magic:

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Again, the idea is that it keeps the same drive letter/ folder assignment as you start with, but the files and subfolders are physically on another disk (in this case the SSD).

scott s.

When I cloned my OS and FSX SSD, to a new larger SSD, OS worked fine, as did FSX with default aircraft, but payware aircraft caused an immediate CTD, seems they read the hard disk I.D. and piracy protection kicked in. Symlink sounds like the way forward...