Sign in to follow this  
conura

Confused about controls!

Hello all,

I've gone a bit crazy and bought 3 addons + x plane in the last few days which is great :D

But I'm confused about one of them and how to assign a command. It's the AS350 chopper which was just released - I'm trying to assign a button to the addon command "trim" so that I don't need to constantly hold the joystick. I've read the manual but it doesn't explain clearly how to do it. I've found the command under "advanced controls", followed by selecting the helicopter, how I can't work out how to assign it to a joystick. It's a huge grid of clickable buttons which is confusing me!!

There may be a "trim" function for helicopters, but really shouldn't be.  In real life, a chopper requires constant input and that should be reflected in the simulation.

John Wingold

It's a huge grid of clickable buttons which is confusing me!!

You just push the button on the joystick itself, and the corresponding button in the grid will be selected.

There may be a "trim" function for helicopters, but really shouldn't be.  In real life, a chopper requires constant input and that should be reflected in the simulation.

Is this true? I know in the KA50 there is a pitch function which allows a the chopper control to stay in one position!

I could be wrong though?

In the case of a light helicopter such as the Robinson, R22 Old_As_Dirt is correct. In the case of the Squirrel this has hydraulic controls and a force trim release button on the left of the hand grip. The hat switch also has a fine trim fuction. The forces as the helicopter goes from hover to forward flight are considerable and flying without trimis very hard work. I have flown both the single and twin Squirrel ( and the Robinson R22). Hope that this clarifies

Bob

Thank you all - that makes sense. I now have the trim working correctly. This helicopter is so tough to fly compared to the KA50, they weren't kidding when they said the co-axial was more stable..

While we're on the helo topic can I hijack this one a little and ask if there's a way to invert the throttle axis?  I don't have a real collective hardware piece so I use my CH throttle for fixed wing and rarely fly rotorcraft.  It seems in XP that the throttle is reversed (I presume they're trying to make my throttle act like a collective where I'd be pulling towards myself to increase collective).  Unfortunately this is backwards for me and I'd love to reverse it.  Any ideas on how?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

From memory in the controller setup there is an invert option for all analog axis in the form of a tickbox next to it.

But that would mean I have to change my settings everytime I swap between fixed wing and rotorcraft right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

But that would mean I have to change my settings everytime I swap between fixed wing and rotorcraft right?

Yup - remember the throttle and the collective are completely different entities in a helicopter!

Yup - remember the throttle and the collective are completely different entities in a helicopter!

No. Download XAssign. It saves buttons, axis and field of view assignments per aircraft.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I'll check that out appreciate it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

No. Download XAssign. It saves buttons, axis and field of view assignments per aircraft.

That is great! Thanks