Sign in to follow this  
Nakkis

Weird behaviour while on final approach

Maybe it's just random FSX thermals, you could try renaming ThermalDescriptions.xml to ThermalDescriptions.xml.sav and restart FSX. Look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" or wherever you installed FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I think Steve is onto it. Sounds like that thermal xml to me too. Also in AS2012, make sure wake turbulence is turned off.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Maybe it's just random FSX thermals, you could try renaming ThermalDescriptions.xml to ThermalDescriptions.xml.sav and restart FSX. Look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" or wherever you installed FSX.

I'm sure that's it and was about to post the same answer.

Unfortunately when having the ThermalDescriptions.xml not turned off, it places some thermals right in front of some runways and causes the anomaly seen here. It's happened to me at a few airports off the top of my head are KPHX when approaching runway 26. KDAL when approaching 13L or 13R and one of the runways at LSGG (can't remember which one).

Simply renaming the file to ThermalDescriptions.xml.off fixed the problem for me and now dont have to worry about any thermals right in front of runways any longer and by renaming that file allows me to still have turbulence turned on. Otherwise if you uncheck the that box in the FSX menu, you lose both thermals and turbulence effects. Now I just let AS2012 take care of the thermals which aren't preprogrammed into specific areas of FSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Be sure to edit the strength of thermals in the AS2012/WX Options/Wind Options panel, bottom right side. I have those lowered to 200/200 and it helps. Also be sure Wake Turbulence Strength is set to 0. It can cause havok with certain addon aircraft.

Wow, thanks everyone and especially Steve!

Renamed ThermalDescription.xml and just made a test approach to Mallorca having no problems at all. Smooth all the way down!

- Osku

In your video the N1 mode is G/A that could be a problem too.. Looks like you fixed it, but check your modes :)